Some people are talking about a 3-4

Mikie2times

Our DE's are small, and despite having talent at LB our depth is pretty thin. Those are the two main obstacles facing this team if they want to switch to the 3-4. The obvious benefit of a switch would mean we would need less DT's, and by the looks of our roster that could be a huge plus. I think this is a doable plan that the Bills can achieve by next season. It gives Buffalo a youth movement, depth, and versatility. If they want a 4-3 look these players would have no problem playing in that role.

DE: Mario Williams (1st Pick)- Chris Kelsey

DT: Grady Jackson, Sam Adams, Maake Kemoeatu FA (BALT)

DE: Aaron Schobel

OLB: Elvis Dumervil (2nd Pick), Posey Retained (He did well in a 3-4 for the Texans)

MLB: London Fletcher

MLB: Takeo Spikes (Injury makes him a better fit at ILB)

OLB: Keith Adams FA (PHIL) Angelo Crowell (also backing up the middle)

CB: Nate Clements, Eric King

CB: Terrance MaGee, Troy Vincent

FS: Pat Watkins (3rd Pick), Troy Vincent, Rashad Baker

SS: Lawyer Milloy,

This draft is nearly all defense, and why not? The problem on defense is that this team relies too much on if the call is right as opposed to being able to win straight up one on one match ups. We have some talent already, but why not draft some players that allow us to dominate teams instead of only making a play when the perfect blitz is called. The offense can be upgraded threw FA, which is good for a line that needs to get better in a hurry.

The players are one thing, but this is how you get it done:

FIRE JERRY GRAY.

Unless he's worked in a system that features it, he's not interested in trying new things. He's still running Greggo/Lebeau's PennsylTucky defense. The guy's no innovator. He's a copier.

Our DE's are small, and despite having talent at LB our depth is pretty thin. Those are the two main obstacles facing this team if they want to switch to the 3-4.  The obvious benefit of a switch would mean we would need less DT's, and by the looks of our roster that could be a huge plus. I think this is a doable plan that the Bills can achieve by next season. It gives Buffalo a youth movement, depth, and versatility. If they want a 4-3 look these players would have no problem playing in that role. 

DE: Mario Williams (1st Pick)- Chris Kelsey

DT: Grady Jackson, Sam Adams, Maake Kemoeatu FA (BALT)

DE: Aaron Schobel

OLB: Elvis Dumervil (2nd Pick), Posey Retained (He did well in a 3-4 for the Texans)

MLB: London Fletcher

MLB: Takeo Spikes (Injury makes him a better fit at ILB)

OLB: Keith Adams FA (PHIL) Angelo Crowell (also backing up the middle)

CB: Nate Clements, Eric King

CB: Terrance MaGee, Troy Vincent

FS: Pat Watkins (3rd Pick), Troy Vincent, Rashad Baker

SS: Lawyer Milloy,

This draft is nearly all defense, and why not? The problem on defense is that this team relies too much on if the call is right as opposed to being able to win straight up one on one match ups. We have some talent already, but why not draft some players that allow us to dominate teams instead of only making a play when the perfect blitz is called.  The offense can be upgraded threw FA, which is good for a line that needs to get better in a hurry.

538794[/snapback]

schobel and kelsey are too small to play DE in a 3-4........if anything, they are OLB's in a 3-4........and there in lies the problem -- it is tough to find 300 pound DE's which are required in a 3-4 defense.......

conclusion -- buffalo runs a 4-3 next year once again

It would never work as Schobel would be ineffective as a 3-4 end. If we could somehow sign Grady Jackson, get an upgrade at left DE, keep Sam Adams and Spikes comes back at close to his 2004 level this D will be back to performing at a high level no problem as I believe Crowell will be an upgrade over Posey and this LB squad would really be off the chain in a 4-3 with those guys up front IF Spikes can return at high level. If they get back to solid discpline play on D and less blitzing with that front and Anderson or Edwards coming off the bench then we may have something. Also I think the team has to find a way to get Baker on the field as I think he would be an upgrade to Vincent at FS. But as always I feel I will get disappointed by this team as even if the D gets back to respectability then the offense will suck because MM will still be the coach with his awful playcalling and then we will be like "what if" on the offensive side but by the time they get up to speed then half the guys on this D will be on thier front porch drinking lemonade! I know that is thinking negative but the last four seasons we have had too many ups and downs; one year it's Bledsoe and all O and no D then the next 2 years the D is outstanding but the offense sucked and then this year both sides are garbage; we just can't find a way to put the two together; it is awlays wait until next year and what if!

Very interesting thought...but I have to agree. Schobel is too good a defensive player not to take advantage of, and he plays best in the 4/3. I think we will be able to get one or possibly two high quality defensive tackles. A guy I would watch for in the second or possibly third round is Jesse Mahelona of Tennessee (god awful season for the team, he's always been outstanding though). He and our first or second round DT would be the basis for a four man defensive line. I was a big fan of the three-four, but I think you have to play a defensive that your talent gives you. I don't think we have enough quality linebackers to go with the 3/4 right now anyway.

Very interesting thought...but I have to agree. Schobel is too good a defensive player not to take advantage of, and he plays best in the 4/3.  . . . I was a big fan of the three-four, but I think you have to play a defensive that your talent gives you. 

538885[/snapback]

I could envision Schobel being an OLB in a 3-4. There isn't exactly a world of talent on this particular defense, so now is the time to switch.

schobel and kelsey are too small to play DE in a 3-4........if anything, they are OLB's in a 3-4........and there in lies the problem -- it is tough to find 300 pound DE's which are required in a 3-4 defense.......

conclusion -- buffalo runs a 4-3 next year once again

538844[/snapback]

Hummmm, let's see.....Bruce Smith listed at 273 most his career, often weighed up to 10 lbs less or so it was reported. OK, he's an exception....

Phil Hansen, listed around 278, played sometimes a tad heavier and a tad lighter. Both flourished in a 3-4. The 3-4 we ran from 1995 to 2000 was outstanding, with lighter DE's so 300 pounders aren't necessary, but very good DE's are. Schobel is light and Kelsay sucks. In fact, Denny makes more plays than he does. I had big hopes for Kelsay but he has been a major disapointment.

To me, the real key is having a nose tackle (Ted Washington anyone?) that can tie up 2 or sometimes three blockers, which Ted was excellent at, Jeff wright was not. Then comes having the quality LB's. Spikes? Definitely (pre-injury at least). Fletcher? I'm not sure. Posey, played well in the Texans 3-4 a few years back. So who do we go with for the 4th LB, Crowell? I really haven't been very impressed with his play overall so....

It would never work as Schobel would be ineffective as a 3-4 end. If we could somehow sign Grady Jackson, get an upgrade at left DE, keep Sam Adams and Spikes comes back at close to his 2004 level this D will be back to performing at a high level no problem as I believe Crowell will be an upgrade over Posey and this LB squad would really be off the chain in a 4-3 with those guys up front IF Spikes can return at high level. If they get back to solid discpline play on D and less blitzing with that front and Anderson or Edwards coming off the bench then we may have something. Also I think the team has to find a way to get Baker on the field as I think he would be an upgrade to Vincent at FS. But as always I feel I will get disappointed by this team as even if the D gets back to respectability then the offense will suck because MM will still be the coach with his awful playcalling and then we will be like "what if" on the offensive side but by the time they get up to speed then half the guys on this D will be on thier front porch drinking lemonade! I know that is thinking negative but the last four seasons we have had too many ups and downs; one year it's Bledsoe and all O and no D then the next 2 years the D is outstanding but the offense sucked and then this year both sides are garbage; we just can't find a way to put the two together; it is awlays wait until next year and what if!

538864[/snapback]

grady jackson is done. he makes sam adams look like an overachiever.

Guest BackInDaDay
The 3-4 we ran from 1995 to 2000 was outstanding, with lighter DE's so 300 pounders aren't necessary, but very good DE's are.

539103[/snapback]

Gotta disagree. An excellent LB corp made that system work. Only a few teams had the combination of big, athletic OTs that could handle our DEs and tenacious OGs that could go after our LBs, but when we did - they won.

Remember the SBs or our playoff loss to Boselli's Jags?

The best that can be said for the 3-4 in this era of free-agency is that you have more LBs to throw at special teams. BTW, I don't know about Grady, but Sam wants no part of 2-gap responsibities as evidenced this year. Actually Edwards or Andersen might be better suited for the NG. Low, 2-gappers with quickness.

Hey, whatever the new coach wants to try is OK with me. :huh: