What is the best Katrina fund?

Pete

I am the commish in a fantasy football league and my buddy who won it chooses to give the $600 to a Katrina fund. What a classy man! BTW he is a poor college student- $600 is alot to him. I am considering making the donation to the Red Cross Katrina fund. Does anyone else have a releif fund they recomend?

After the Red Cross mess in NYC after 9/11, I decided to give to the Salvation Army. I sent my $300 tax rebate directly to the NYC chapter, not to my local one.

I saw on tv on 9/12 that the SA had lots of trailers already set up with water and food for the workers there. Seems to be a lot less red tape with them.

After the Red Cross mess in NYC after 9/11, I decided to give to the Salvation Army. I sent my $300 tax rebate directly to the NYC chapter, not to my local one.

I saw on tv on 9/12 that the SA had lots of trailers already set up with water and food for the workers there. Seems to be a lot less red tape with them.

538889[/snapback]

My other issue with the Red Cross is their recent involvement in the so-called 'detainee abuse' nonsense. I don't want to send my money to a group that wastes money on political causes; particularly when those causes are undermining our own country.

p.s. I know there is a newsletter published that tracks the performance of scores of charities; total dollars, expense & fund raising ratios, executive compensation, etc. It's a really good tool since there are a lot of charities that are little more than scams. I don't recall the name of it but maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

I contributed my friends winnings to Americares Humanitarian releif. They were overwhelmed with Katrina donations and are no longer accepting money for Katrina. Makes me proud to be American! Anyways to reiterate my friend is a poor college student and he donated his $600 fantasy football winnings to charity. Means alot more IMO then Puffdaddy giving a million. I am so proud of my friend!

p.s.  I know there is a newsletter published that tracks the performance of scores of charities;  total dollars, expense & fund raising ratios, executive compensation, etc.  It's a really good tool since there are a lot of charities that are little more than scams.  I don't recall the name of it but maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

538988[/snapback]

I tried Google and came up with these links.

This one sounds like what you're looking for to find out info on each Charity.