11-5 might not get you in this year

Mikie2times

I used to think a team was robbed at 10-6, but 11-5 and not making it is unheard of. I'm not going to look it up but I imagine no team has ever posted such a strong record and missed the postseason.

In the AFC, NE, CIN, IND, and DEN seem to be the division winners, leaving PITT, SD, JAC, and KC to duke it out for the two Wild Cards. The Jags are already in the double digits, with SD and Pitt at 9 wins, and KC at 8. Pitt and the Jags remaining opponents are are a combined 15-41 :lol: , with SD having two difficult must win type games left. The talent exists for SD to win the final two, and if the Jags and Pitt plow threw the cake walk 3 teams will be 11-5, and one will be watching at home. Perhaps a more logical approach could improve the system, maybe not, I just know I would be pissed if the Bills missed out at 10-6, 11-5 would just be cruel.

I used to think a team was robbed at 10-6, but 11-5 and not making it is unheard of. I'm not going to look it up but I imagine no team has ever posted such a strong record and missed the postseason.

In the AFC, NE, CIN, IND, and DEN seem to be the division winners, leaving PITT, SD, JAC, and KC to duke it out for the two Wild Cards. The Jags are already in the double digits, with SD and Pitt at 9 wins, and KC at 8.  Pitt and the Jags remaining opponents are are a combined 15-41 :lol:  , with SD having two difficult must win type games left. The talent exists for SD to win the final two, and if the Jags and Pitt plow threw the cake walk 3 teams will be 11-5, and one will be watching at home.  Perhaps a more logical approach could improve the system, maybe not, I just know I would be pissed if the Bills missed out at 10-6, 11-5 would just be cruel.

538445[/snapback]

It's even more of a kick in the face to SD given their tough schedule and the fact that they lost those 5 games by a combined total of 14 points. Ouch.

In the AFC, NE, CIN, IND, and DEN seem to be the division winners, leaving PITT, SD, JAC, and KC to duke it out for the two Wild Cards. The Jags are already in the double digits, with SD and Pitt at 9 wins, and KC at 8.  Pitt and the Jags remaining opponents are are a combined 15-41 :lol:  , with SD having two difficult must win type games left. The talent exists for SD to win the final two, and if the Jags and Pitt plow threw the cake walk 3 teams will be 11-5, and one will be watching at home.  Perhaps a more logical approach could improve the system, maybe not, I just know I would be pissed if the Bills missed out at 10-6, 11-5 would just be cruel.

538445[/snapback]

KC does not deserve it because they lost to the lowly Bills.

SD has had an absolute brutal schedule this season. They have been impressive. Do you think they are happy about suspending Gates for the opener when they lost a squeaker to Dallas? 10-4 would look a lot better than 9-5 right now.

Pittsburgh and Jax played well despite losing QB's during the year. It seems Jax has been in this position for a few years running.

Me personally, I'd like to see Steelers and Chargers get in. I like Del Rio, but I don't like much else on Jax. Screw KC.

It's even more of a kick in the face to SD given their tough schedule and the fact that they lost those 5 games by a combined total of 14 points.  Ouch.

538450[/snapback]

A few of those losses were just brutal, the Eagles and Cowboys games come to mind. SD is a bit unpredictable, and the loss to Miami was inexcusable, but they do have the talent to beat anybody in football, and have shown the past 2 years that they match up well with the Colts. I would consider them legit contenders in the AFC if they find a way to get in, probably even more so then Pittsburgh, or the Jaguars without Leftwhich. If the Jags can get Leftwhich back they have also shown the past two years they can hang with the Colts. Throw in NE and I think it would be a bit premature to anoint the Colts champions despite how impressive they have been.

SD deserves to miss the playoffs for losing to the lowly Dolphins AT HOME a week and a half ago.  Forget the opening day Giants game, it was that loss to the Dols that killed them.

538602[/snapback]

While I agree that that loss was horrible in my book the win at Indy negates it in the "they don't deserve to make the playoffs" argument.

I guess the bright side is we picked a good year to be really bad. It would be pretty depressing to go 11-5 and be shut-out from the playoffs. At least this year we did it right. Be putrid, get rid of the GM and coach and start anew......again.

Guest BackInDaDay

Yeah, and the knuckleheads at OBD and our head coach disrupted the team and blew up an entire season because they thought the Bills could back into a division title and steal a home playoff game.

"8 and 8 could take it boys."

Whoop-dee-effin-doo. :lol:

SD deserves to miss the playoffs for losing to the lowly Dolphins AT HOME a week and a half ago.  Forget the opening day Giants game, it was that loss to the Dols that killed them.

538602[/snapback]

I like the Chargers a lot but I agree with this. All this talk about Miami playing so much better these days, but when you take away that Charger game their resume doesn't look so great, having barely avoided sweeps of the Bills & Jets in the last 3 weeks.

So yeah - Jax is gonna get in but if KC/Pitt/SD tie 3-ways at 11-5, Pittsburgh would be left out because of their conference record. Basically Jacksonville could really screw the Steelers by resting their starters vs. Tennessee in the last week. The 3/6 1st round game in the AFC should be good no matter who is playing.

Guest BackInDaDay
well no whining ya gotta win your division!and when 11-5 teams dont make it in it just means the level of play was very high that season.

538678[/snapback]

You don't get it. The thought that a 8-8 season could take the division was just another miscalculation on the part of Bills management. After game 4, Donahoe looked around and saw the sorry state of the Pats, Jets and Dolphins and figured he could pull a plum out of his a$$ by being the best of a bad group. Crappy teams don't win championships, but under the right circumstances they can win their division and force a home playoff game. So the whole season gets turned on it's head so our GM has another way to sell tickets in '06.

If Donahoe (and Wilson) spent as much time trying to build a championship team as they do trying to fabricate one with smoke and mirrors, we might have been on the right track. I could take a 4-12 or 5-11 year ( I've taken 1-13!) if I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but these fools squandered the chance to build on last year's success. This year's been wasted.