GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

taterhill

Team USA f'd up with Connelly...he should be on that team...

537594[/snapback]

In place of who? Connelly has had a nice run this season but I'm not sold that he'll continue and USA Hockey shouldn't be either. Before the season started you couldn't find anyone with anything positive to say about him.

In place of who?  Connelly has had a nice run this season but I'm not sold that he'll continue and USA Hockey shouldn't be either.  Before the season started you couldn't find anyone with anything positive to say about him.

538256[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with a lot of guys on the roster, so I couldn't say who Connolly should replace. However, the selection committee made it clear that they would not base their team on names (LeClair, Roenick not on team) but rather on who was playing well this year. Connolly has been one of the best, and arguably been the best player on the Sabres, who are playing pretty darn well.

Before this season, you're right, ask anyone and they would say without hesitation that Connolly is a bum. But after not playing because of a concussion two years ago, he had a very successful strike season in Europe (Swiss league I believe.) Now with the new NHL rules, the league is made for him. Olympic rules will be the same as the new NHL rules, but with the usual larger skating surface.

It's tough to make a case for him in place of somebody else, but had he been selected, it would be tough to say he didn't deserve it.

EDIT: Olympics have shootouts, and he's been extremely successful in that regard as well.

Edited by smokinandjokin

In place of who?  Connelly has had a nice run this season but I'm not sold that he'll continue and USA Hockey shouldn't be either.  Before the season started you couldn't find anyone with anything positive to say about him.

538256[/snapback]

Hard break, he really didn't play for two years. One year out with a

concussion and a year out from the strike, so the last time we saw

him was when he was 21 and though he was playing 80 games a year

hadn't fully developed. His college experience came in the NHL -and

those stats just don't measure up well. Furthermore, those stats don't

really say much for his skating ability and stick work which are well-suited to the

International game. Oh well. I am a total homer and was hoping they would

take a flyer on him.

Hard break, he really didn't play for two years. One year out with a

concussion and a year out from the strike, so the last time we saw

him was when he was 21 and though he was playing 80 games a year

hadn't fully developed. His college experience came in the NHL -and

those stats just don't measure up well. Furthermore, those stats don't

really say much for his skating ability and stick work which are well-suited to the

International game. Oh well. I am a total homer and was hoping they would

take a flyer on him.

538314[/snapback]

I'm not going to disagree with any of that. The biggest step his game has taken is currently few guys are actually hitting in the NHL. TC folds pretty quick when someone puts a body on him. There hasn't been alot of hitting in the Olympics, either. Most of that is due to the North American players not being able to adjust to the angles quickly enough so they hang back instead of stepping in.