Why does the Sabres website suck?

When it check out the latest news on the team and found I could order a Rick Jeanerette CD for Christmas. Fill out the form and wait 15 minutes - nothing. To make matters worse the website main area doesn't come up (done in Flash?). I am just amazed a professional sports team has a horrible site.

GO SABRES!!! BUT PLEASE REDO YOUR SITE!!!!!

When it check out the latest news on the team and found I could order a Rick Jeanerette CD for Christmas. Fill out the form and wait 15 minutes - nothing. To make matters worse the website main area doesn't come up (done in Flash?). I am just amazed a professional sports team has a horrible site.

537215[/snapback]

The sad thing is, the site was redone just recently. Somehow, they managed to make it worse than before.

537215[/snapback]

They must be doing something right when people are complaining about the website :(

537215[/snapback]

I tried to buy tickets off the site and gave up. Not just for a game but a

mini-pack. I lost trust in the thing and ended up at Tickets in Tops.

Grrrrrrrrrr. :(

537215[/snapback]

The league actually took over the team sites during the lock out and continue to run them. All the team sites look exactly the same with the exception of the logo. They all blow equally.

537215[/snapback]

I know it's not the "official" site but have you checked out sabresreport.com, which you can access right through this forum?

537215[/snapback]

Yeah, it's Flash. Flash is one of those things that can really add to a site if used sparingly, but when it replaces the standard navigation structure, sucks. I don't mind it on entertainment sites so much as I do on information sites (perhaps you want to bookmark something and return again later?).

I'm not much of a Korn fan, but their site is a great example of what not to do... www.korn.com.

-Jeff

• 2 months later...

UGHHHHH!

I just visted the site using Firefox and only the graphics show up. This frustrates me to no end.

DEAR BUFFALO SABRES -

I DESIGN WEBSITES FOR A LIVING. PLEASE CONTACT ME - I"LL EVEN GIVE YOU A DISCOUNTED RATE.

THANK YOU

FRUSTRATED SCBUFBILLSFAN

The league actually took over the team sites during the lock out and continue to run them. All the team sites look exactly the same with the exception of the logo. They all blow equally.

537252[/snapback]

Thats not true...the Sabres site is quite a bit different from all the other teams, and I believe it was designed by a WNY company.

UGHHHHH!

I just visted the site using Firefox and only the graphics show up. This frustrates me to no end.

DEAR BUFFALO SABRES -

I DESIGN WEBSITES FOR A LIVING. PLEASE CONTACT ME - I"LL EVEN GIVE YOU A DISCOUNTED RATE.

THANK YOU

FRUSTRATED SCBUFBILLSFAN

616635[/snapback]

Of course, if you use ALL CAPS, they'll just see you as some screaming idiot.

;)

That website is beyond horrible. I spoke with the VP of Marketing the day the website went up. I gave him my expert anaylsis and the entire organization acted as if I kidnapped their children.

I was frank and told them that the website is possibly the worst sports website I've ever seen and that it doesn't serve its audience at all. You can't get easy access to news, articles, recaps, etc.

They said they spent some ridiculous amount of man-hours and $30,000 designing that site. To which I said I would have done better in 10 minutes. They kept going back to the fact that they wanted to be different than everyone else. They honestly believe that website is great.

Here's what the official site should be...

http://www.afterfivemedia.com/clients/sabres/

It's only 20% done but it might be more functional than the official one. :doh:

That website is beyond horrible. I spoke with the VP of Marketing the day the website went up. I gave him my expert anaylsis and the entire organization acted as if I kidnapped their children.

I was frank and told them that the website is possibly the worst sports website I've ever seen and that it doesn't serve its audience at all. You can't get easy access to news, articles, recaps, etc.

They said they spent some ridiculous amount of man-hours and $30,000 designing that site. To which I said I would have done better in 10 minutes. They kept going back to the fact that they wanted to be different than everyone else. They honestly believe that website is great.

Here's what the official site should be...

http://www.afterfivemedia.com/clients/sabres/

It's only 20% done but it might be more functional than the official one.  :doh:

616864[/snapback]

That's a hell of a lot better than what they have...at least it's clean and straightforward. Actually an organization should be spending a hell of a lot more than $30,000 on their website. That's actually too little to do the usability research for the site...which it's pretty clear they haven't done.