For All of You Mock Drafters.....

JDG

Lots of people are convinced that the Bills are going to have a very high draft pick. Unfortunately, I don't think that is necessarily the case.

Accounting of all 16 opponents on the schedule, the current draft standings are like this:

1/2: Houston and San Francisco (in some order)

3: NY Jets

4: New Orleans

If Baltimore wins tonight, Green Bay is #5. If the Packers win, they are #11.

Here are the tiebreakers for the 4-loss teams:

Tennessee - 113

Detroit - 113

Arizona - 113

Buffalo - 113

NY Jets - 116

Baltimore - 118

So, looking at these numbers, it seems safe to pencil us in for about #7-9 pick.

JDG

Hopefully, our pick will be high enough to get a stud pass rusher like Mario Williams. If we could land him in round one, a run stuffing DT like Gabe Watson in round 2, and maybe even a LT prospect (I'd say Jonathan Scott, but I doubt he falls far enough) w/ our earliest 3rd round pick, I'd be quite happy.

Hopefully, our pick will be high enough to get a stud pass rusher like Mario Williams.  If we could land him in round one,  a run stuffing DT like Gabe Watson in round 2, and maybe even a LT prospect (I'd say Jonathan Scott, but I doubt he falls far enough) w/ our earliest 3rd round pick, I'd be quite happy.

537032[/snapback]

I drafted Jonathan Scott in the third round for my Bills franchise in Madden 06'. He turned out alright. I also stole Gruden away from the Buccs. :(

Lots of people are convinced that the Bills are going to have a very high draft pick.  Unfortunately, I don't think that is necessarily the case.

Accounting of all 16 opponents on the schedule, the current draft standings are like this:

If Baltimore wins tonight, Green Bay is #5.  If the Packers win, they are #11. 

Tennessee - 113

Detroit - 113

Arizona - 113

Buffalo - 113

NY Jets - 116

Baltimore - 118

So, looking at these numbers, it seems safe to pencil us in for about #7-9 pick.

JDG

537024[/snapback]

I think my disagreement lies in my belief that I think Green Bay will win tonight and gain their fourth victory, the Jets will win their final game vs us giving them 4 wins and New Orleans will defeat Detroit at home in what could be their final game in Louisiana.

That makes the order --

1/2 - San Francisco/Houston

T3. Buffalo, New Orleans, Green Bay, Oakland, Arizona and Detroit will likely all have 4 wins. I project Tennessee and Baltimore will get one more to finish with 5.

Plus, isn't the tiebreaker your opponents winning pct?

I think my disagreement lies in my belief that I think Green Bay will win tonight and gain their fourth victory, the Jets will win their final game vs us giving them 4 wins and New Orleans will defeat Detroit at home in what could be their final game in Louisiana.

That makes the order --

1/2 - San Francisco/Houston

T3. Buffalo, New Orleans, Green Bay, Oakland, Arizona and Detroit will likely all have 4 wins.  I project Tennessee and Baltimore will get one more to finish with 5.

Plus, isn't the tiebreaker your opponents winning pct?

537057[/snapback]

Yes, the tiebreaker is the opponents winning percentage - or in other words: (opponents total wins) / (opponents total games.) Since everyone's (opponents total games) is 256, you can simplify the tiebreaker to "opponents total wins."

Anyhow, the point of my post is that Buffalo doesn't exactly have much of lead in the "strength of schedule" tiebreaker - contrary to what some people were projecting last week. Moreover, due to a couple of factors, such as New England playing two division games down the stretch, the Bills' opponents have a few more "locked in" wins coming up in the next two weeks than our competitors.

So, while its probably not impossible for us to end up with a Top 5 pick - given all the things that can happen down the stretch, I think a #7-9 pick is more realistic.

JDG

Yes, the tiebreaker is the opponents winning percentage - or in other words: (opponents total wins) / (opponents total games.)    Since everyone's (opponents total games) is 256, you can simplify the tiebreaker to "opponents total wins."

Anyhow, the point of my post is that Buffalo doesn't exactly have much of lead in the "strength of schedule" tiebreaker - contrary to what some people were projecting last week.  Moreover, due to a couple of factors, such as New England playing two division games down the stretch, the Bills' opponents have a few more "locked in" wins coming up in the next two weeks than our competitors.

So, while its probably not impossible for us to end up with a Top 5 pick - given all the things that can happen down the stretch, I think a #7-9 pick is more realistic.

JDG

537138[/snapback]

What's your problem with a #7 - #9 pick ........ don't you think that's high enough to get a quality undersized speed reciever??? :(

Yes, the tiebreaker is the opponents winning percentage - or in other words: (opponents total wins) / (opponents total games.)    Since everyone's (opponents total games) is 256, you can simplify the tiebreaker to "opponents total wins."

Anyhow, the point of my post is that Buffalo doesn't exactly have much of lead in the "strength of schedule" tiebreaker - contrary to what some people were projecting last week.  Moreover, due to a couple of factors, such as New England playing two division games down the stretch, the Bills' opponents have a few more "locked in" wins coming up in the next two weeks than our competitors.

JDG

537138[/snapback]

I think given all the things that can happen down the stretch we could end up with a pick from 3rd to 9th.

If we get the 3rd pick we could trade the pick to a team who wants Leinart. Any of the players projected from 3-9 would have immediate impact on this team.

I think given all the things that can happen down the stretch we could end up with a pick from 3rd to 9th.

If we get the 3rd pick we could trade the pick to a team who wants Leinart.  Any of the players projected from 3-9 would have immediate impact on this team.

537501[/snapback]

You should change that "would" to "could." I can guarantee that not all of the players picked in the Top 10 will immediately impact their teams' performance on the field next year - or indeed, ever.

JDG

Tennessee - 113 (Plays MIA, JAX)

Detroit - 113 (PIT, NO)

Arizona - 113 (PHI, IND)

Buffalo - 113 (CIN, NYJ)

NY Jets - 116 (NE, BUF)

Baltimore - 118 (GB, MIN, CLE)

Now, if buffalo goes 4-12...the jets get 5 wins.

You have to assume detroit will beat NO.

Baltimore is crushing GB at the moment, so assume 5 wins for them.

That leaves Ten, Buf and arizona as the only teams with 4 wins.

Unfortunatly GB is losing...so they stay ahead of us for now. They can beat Chicago, and seattle should be resting week 17.

I honestly think, SOS in our favor, the draft goes like this.

1) SF - Bush

2) Hou -D'Brick or trade down

3) NO-Lienert

4) GB

5) Buf

Lots of people are convinced that the Bills are going to have a very high draft pick.  Unfortunately, I don't think that is necessarily the case.

If Baltimore wins tonight, Green Bay is #5.  If the Packers win, they are #11. 

Tennessee - 113

Detroit - 113

Arizona - 113

Buffalo - 113

NY Jets - 116

Baltimore - 118

JDG

537024[/snapback]

You're probably right. I know it was frustrating after the 2003 abortion of a season to finish 6-10 & draft only 13th... some years are worse to suck in than others. :D