Jerry's Kids

DrFishfinder

I guess we should have known, getting a head coach with a name like Mularkey and being a Fort La Dee Dah native to boot, that should have been one of Letterman's Top Ten Reasons Your Team Is Doomed.

So, putting that little omen aside for a minute, lets address Jerry Gray's, ahem...., defense. A couple of words come to mind;

fraudulent

undisciplined

unconditioned

incompetent

uncaring

If ever the term "Paper Defense" could be uttered, now is the time. Between incomprehensible penalties, utter incompetence and Keystone Cops-like execution, this is just downright painful to watch. It's starting to look more like an audition for a Three Stooges movie than an NFL football team.

Yes, Donahoe is off in his own fantasy world, and yes, Mularkey routinely calls plays that reek of Robitussin Abuse, but the defense has turned into, ta daaaa, "Jerry's Kids". And I know there's going to be at least a partial evisceration for me saying that, but if we take off the scarlet colored glasses, that's an appropriate, if politically incorrect, analogy. The defense, from Jerry Gray on down to the last player, with the possible exception of Schobel and Fletcher, are challenged, impaired, disabled and bed-bound.

"It All Starts, Or Ends, With The Offensive Line". True enough. But imagine how the offense feels when they go out and score on their first drive and then watch the Defensive Eleven Stooges do their best imitation of The Ministry of Silly Walks?

Remember when the Dolphin's offensive line was arguably one of, if not THE worst in the game? Remember when the Bill's Defense actually got to Ferrotte this last debacle? Remember when the only thing that changed behind My Yami's offensive line was the quarterback? Remember what happened then?

Jerry's Kids.

Buffalo went from having one of the best defensive units in the league to being the laughing stock.

Jerry's Kids.

It's time to let Jerry Gray go and pursue his dream of being a head coach somewhere. I'd say, "Right Now", but I'll settle for "Right After The Jets Game".

It's time to let Jerry Gray go and pursue his dream of being a head coach somewhere. I'd say, "Right Now", but I'll settle for "Right After The Jets Game".

Thanks for the entertaining post, and I agree with your conclusion. I haven't been paying much attention to defensive coordinator availability, but I'd be happy with a Dave McGinnis, a Ted Cottrell, or some other man who actually knows what he's doing.

Go back and watch the game tape. This defense was harassing the hell out of Frerotte and was doing the same to Jake Plummer.

Then to figure out what happened, go listen to Shanahan's halftime interview before he hit the locker room -- something to the effect of, "they started letting up in the second quarter." All you need to know right there. Gray couldn't coach these guys out of a paper bag. They get by on aggressiveness early on, and then they lose all direction and unravel over the course of a game. It's less personnel and almost all Jerry Gray.

As for personnel we do need: Plug a big-ass, stuffin' DT in the middle (get Pat Williams 2.0) and a lot will be solved. Get a hungry, hungry Takeo back and send Posey to the cleaners and things are going to look A LOT better. Get rid of this chump coaching them, start pressing the WRs and this defense could be back on top.

Go back and watch the game tape.  This defense was harassing the hell out of Frerotte and was doing the same to Jake Plummer.

Then to figure out what happened, go listen to Shanahan's halftime interview before he hit the locker room -- something to the effect of, "they started letting up in the second quarter."  All you need to know right there.  Gray couldn't coach these guys out of a paper bag.  They get by on aggressiveness early on, and then they lose all direction and unravel over the course of a game.  It's less personnel and almost all Jerry Gray. 

As for personnel we do need: Plug a big-ass, stuffin' DT in the middle (get Pat Williams 2.0) and a lot will be solved.  Get a hungry, hungry Takeo back and send Posey to the cleaners and things are going to look A LOT better.  Get rid of this chump coaching them, start pressing the WRs and this defense could be back on top.

536747[/snapback]

Good one.

Every single game, JG has come out hot, but while the other teams offense

has made the correct half-time adjustments, he has refused to do that and

has paid for it...

When Shanhan talked right after the end of the 2nd Qtr, he had figured out

what JG was offering and made the adjustments in the 2nd half and ran away

with the game.....