My insight from the Denver game. It finally struck

And why they are so successful.

MM scripts these from the comfort of his office when he can think about each play and possible success of them.

They have been very successful this year. The opening drives are usually impressive.

After the script runs out and he has to play call on the fly he cannot do it. He always gets overwhelmed and makes bad play calls.

I think that TD needs to go because he is not adequately stocking the shelves. Gray and TC have to go. Gray because he cannot do anything except blitz. He cannot adjust or adapt.

I think MM should stay actually. The players come prepared to play. It's his play calling that sucks. We need a new OC that can call plays live and make adjustments on the fly. So lets get a brilliant OC to game plan and play call ! Who ever that may be. MM can stay !

Guest BackInDaDay
The fact that this team scores so often on the 1st drive is more reflective of adequate coaching and poor personnel.  Teams adjust and then it is talent vs. talent.

536310[/snapback]

No. Opponent coaches adjust their D assignments to what we're doing. Our coaches seem to have a problem countering those adjustments.

How does the same group that shoves it down a hopped-up D's throat to begin the game, lose their 'talent' in successive possessions?

No.  Opponent coaches adjust their D assignments to what we're doing.  Our coaches seem to have a problem countering those adjustments. 

How does the same group that shoves it down a hopped-up D's throat to begin the game, lose their 'talent' in successive possessions?

Well when you script an opening drive, I'd assume you run the plays a ton to get them down pat. The rest of the game plays you run a couple times. I think it's execution more than anything, but I'd also rather see someone else be the OC, since a HC should be doing other things. And that's not an endorsement of Mularkey, per se.

No.  Opponent coaches adjust their D assignments to what we're doing.  Our coaches seem to have a problem countering those adjustments. 

536315[/snapback]

Exactly...

Other coaches are smart too. There is only so many tricks you can run. Listen, I don't want to defend the Bills' coaches too much, but once the game settles down, you have to make something happen when the other team is familiar with what you are trying to do. It is the same reason the underdog's best shot in a boxing match is to go after the opponent early and hope for a KO.

MM scripts these from the comfort of his office when he can think about each play and possible success of them.

They have been very successful this year. The opening drives are usually impressive.

After the script runs out and he has to play call on the fly he cannot do it. He always gets overwhelmed and makes bad play calls.

I think that TD needs to go because he is not adequately stocking the shelves. Gray and TC have to go. Gray because he cannot do anything except blitz. He cannot adjust or adapt.

I think MM should stay actually. The players come prepared to play. It's his play calling that sucks. We need a new OC that can call plays live and make adjustments on the fly. So lets get a brilliant OC to game plan and play call ! Who ever that may be. MM can stay !

536307[/snapback]

Find that person and he'd be the head coach somewhere in 2 years. In the Bills scenario, Ralph might ask what we have MM around for when the OC is doing the real work. It is in MM's interest to keep a schmuck in the position.

Guest BackInDaDay
Well when you script an opening drive, I'd assume you run the plays a ton to get them down pat.  The rest of the game plays you run a couple times.  I think it's execution more than anything, but I'd also rather see someone else be the OC, since a HC should be doing other things.  And that's not an endorsement of Mularkey, per se.

536320[/snapback]

Any 'script' is developed within the parameters of the offensive gameplan.

These parameters are basically what you expect to see given an opponent's situational D formations and personnel tendencies. Knowing whose lining up and when can lead you to making some pretty good educated guesses at how a D will react to what you do.

Our initial offensive success suggests that the correct assumptions were made going into the game, and an effective gameplan is being worked.

Our ineffectual possessions following the initial success suggests that the opponent has taken themselves out of their presumed D tendencies, and that our offensive gameplan has not adapted.

These parameters are basically what you expect to see given an opponent's situational D formations and personnel tendencies.  Knowing whose lining up and when can lead you to making some pretty good educated guesses at how a D will react to what you do. 

Our initial offensive success suggests that the correct assumptions were made going into the game, and an effective gameplan is being worked.

Our ineffectual possessions following the initial success suggests that the opponent has taken themselves out of their presumed D tendencies, and that our offensive gameplan has not adapted.

536365[/snapback]

That's what Lombardi woulda said... :devil:

Guest BackInDaDay
That's what Lombardi woulda said... :devil:

536368[/snapback]

Hey Cincy!

Funny thing, the old coach is buried about 2 miles from my house in NJ.

Took my Packers fan son to the grave to pay our respects. Modest stone - some memorabilia spread around. :devil:

These parameters are basically what you expect to see given an opponent's situational D formations and personnel tendencies.  Knowing whose lining up and when can lead you to making some pretty good educated guesses at how a D will react to what you do. 

536365[/snapback]

Excatly ! MM cant do those adjustments. Since he took over for TC. We need a new OC that can do the job on game day and adjust to the defense on the fly.

Hey Cincy!

Funny thing, the old coach is buried about 2 miles from my house in NJ.

Took my Packers fan son to the grave to pay our respects.  Modest stone - some memorabilia spread around.  :devil:

536372[/snapback]

NFL Fan: "Hey coach, aren't your opponents playing a deep defense all the time?

NFL Coach: "Sure are".

NFL Fan: "Well, why not run more?"

NFL Coach: "Let me check the game plan...hmmm...no, it says pass".

NFL Fan: "But if you run, you can control the clock, rest your defense, keep their offense on the bench, and tire their defense".

NFL Coach: "Hey! Who are You! You've never played the game!".

NFL Fan: "Wake me up at the 2 minute warning. I love to see prevent defense".

NFL Coach: "Two minutes to go. Wake up, NFL Fan! We are now Preventing".

NFL Fan: "I see you are up by two points."

NFL Coach: "Thank you".

NFL Fan: "Hmmm...they've marched down to the 20.

NFL Coach: "But there are only 3 seconds left. See? The prevent worked!".

NFL Fan: "Coach, who is that skinny guy running onto the field?".

NFL Coach: "Hmmm..let me look at my game plan."

:devil:

My dad, when he was alive, was a huge Bills fan and he really understood a lot of what went on during a game. He used to tell me that he never worried about what happened on each team's opening drive. More important was how the other team reacted and played from the second drive on. Think Super Bowls.

It doesn't take long for NFL teams (well, smart NFL teams) to figure out what the other team is doing offensively and to react. To me, this season has shown me that the Bills are easy to figure out, and can't do a whole lot of figuring out themselves.

Like I said a few days ago, figuring out Belichick is like trying to do the Saturday NY Times crossword...figuring out Mularkey is like doing the daily Jumble.

Guest BackInDaDay
My dad, when he was alive, was a huge Bills fan and he really understood a lot of what went on during a game. He used to tell me that he never worried about what happened on each team's opening drive. More important was how the other team reacted and played from the second drive on. Think Super Bowls.

It doesn't take long for NFL teams (well, smart NFL teams) to figure out what the other team is doing offensively and to react. To me, this season has shown me that the Bills are easy to figure out, and can't do a whole lot of figuring out themselves.

Like I said a few days ago, figuring out Belichick is like trying to do the Saturday NY Times crossword...figuring out Mularkey is like doing the daily Jumble.

536398[/snapback]

In defense of Mularkey, his starters on the O-line have not been able to give him the consistent production necessary to nurse an inexperienced QB. This cripples his ability to make many of the changes that might present themselves. But he is, after all, the head coach. Either he and Mouse didn't realize where this group was at in pre-season, or he voiced his concerns to a GM whose mandate was to keep expenses down.

I for one don't think Mularkey is a naive victim of Donahoe. He signed on for this type of 'make do' organization with his eyes wide open. The fact is, he and his staff were not prepared to do battle.

It's Ralphs fault.

It's Donahoe's fault.

It's Mularkey's fault.

Two things that kill me about our offense....

Obviously our inconsistent line play....

and the amount of formations we use....IMO using so many different formations makes it alot easier for a defense to adjust to what were doing(we become very predictable)

I for one don't think Mularkey is a naive victim of Donahoe.  He signed on for this type of 'make do' organization with his eyes wide open.  The fact is, he and his staff were not prepared to do battle. 

It's Ralphs fault.

It's Donahoe's fault.

It's Mularkey's fault.

536428[/snapback]

Can't say it much better than that...

Like I have said a million times already here, with a Coach like Mularkey and GW before him, the only way you are gonna find out they are not ready to be HC's is by allowing them the opportunity...Unfortunately TD brought them both here in succession and that has killed this Franchise more than any other factor IMO...And had TD not interviewed Lewis and Fox the first time around, and Weiss this last time, I think many would be more willing to accept the errors...

In the end the truth is drastic change is needed at OBD purely due to the fact that the atmosphere of disappointment has moved in and taken residence with this bunch...Turning something like that around is a massive undertaking, and gets even tougher at the next small set-back...A new regime, at the very least, would not suffer from undue expectations initially. Which hopefully will allow for the promise of good things to come... :devil:

536307[/snapback]

There's much upon which we agree-

Buff Issues

536307[/snapback]

Your post makes no sense. MM's been calling the plays. It has sucked. You say he should stay but say that the play calling sucks?

OK, we all know MM is calling the plays right? Clements had that duty stripped eons ago (as evidenced by the improved offensive performance). So, what play sheet is MM using to call the plays? Most head coaches have a laminated sheet broken down into various game situations. There's a section for 2nd and short, red zone and 3rd and long (a favorite of the Bills) etc. The coach consults the play sheet and makes the call. Where the fug is MM's play sheet? Is he smarter than every other coach? I have never seen him looking over plays, deciding which one to run. For those at the game how's he doing it? :devil: Seriously, I gotsta know! :devil: