Things I have learned the last 5 years

JoeF

1) Don't let super bowl participation stand in the way of hiring the right coach. TD was burned for not wanting to wait twice..first with Fox and maybe Lewis (noone knows what happened here) and then with Weis and Crennel.

2) The majority of times that a guy gets cut, is given up on or there is no interest in resigning him from a successful organization, it is usually not worth signing him...

Look at our track record:

Their former team either cut them, made it clear they wanted to trade them and replace them with better talent or had little interest in resigning them on the open market--never even making an offer. Their value has turned out below what the Bills are paying. All came from organizations that have experienced at least some form of success the last 5 years

Lindell (SEA)-you could make an argument this year--but we are paying him top kicker money...

Bennie Anderson (BAL)

Lawyer Milloy (NE)

Troy Vincent (PH)

Bledsoe (NE)

Teague (DEN)

Exceptions-

Spikes--Bengals wanted him so he doesn't count

Fletcher (STL--had trouble keeping D talent and Lovie said he regretted him leaving)

Adams (OAK--not exactly successful)

Chris V. (CHI) has not had a good year and a horrible game last night...but still okay--CHI not successful until this year

Posey--has not played up to his value but HOU did want to retain him

So removing Spikes -- most of the guys we took risks on whose team didn't want them--have not contributed at a level that matches their salary.

So--we have had better success with guys from crappy teams whose teams by evidence of results are less than stellar at judging talent.

3) When you sense you made a hiring mistake--cut the tie sooner rather than later..

- Should TD be here now after the Williams hire decision?

- Should Williams have been here for a 3rd year after a 3-5 finish to the 2003 season.

- Should Bledsoe have been here for 2004 after the disaster of 2003?

ND had a decision to make with Ty Willingham--the votes were split--they made the tough call and look where a different coach took the same team...

4) There are a combination of 10 line positions on a starting football team (counting TE)--this compares to 3 LB; 4 DB; 1 QB; 2 WR; 2 RB/FB....half your free agent signings and half your draft picks should focus on restocking these positions...and they should be spread throughout the draft...

In the Donahoe era;

Drafts 2005 2 OL in 6 picks

2004 2 OL and 1 DL in 5 picks

2003 1 OL, 1TE and 1 DL in 7 picks

2002 2 OL/2DL in 8 picks

2001 2 OL/1 TE/3 DL in 12 picks

Total: 18 picks in 38 selections--

But looking deeper--in 5 years-only 2 OL selected in the first 3 rounds and only one of those is still on the team (Mike Williams--the other signed a huge FA deal (Jennings) in 5 years....by contrast--5 of the DL picks have been in the first three rounds and all still remain with the team...(Schobel, Denny, Kelsay, Anderson, Edwards)...

I haven't done the free agent analysis..but our position player trades/free agents of note have been:

Fletcher, Chris V, Spikes, Bledsoe, Bennie Anderson, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent, Posey, Gandy, Campbell, Shelton, Teague....that's 13--6 are in the "line positions" and of those 6--only Chris V and Teague got marquee contracts--the rest were low second and third tear..and more importantly were on the market for a while with little or no other interest. We seem to get one or two years of good production from most of these guys but not a long history.

So--I know this is a lot of Monday morning QBing---but its kind of a "you reap what you sew" argument...little investment -- little return..we need to invest more to get guys on the DL that can do more than be average -- take up two guys or beat one on one blocking--and we need an interior OL and an OT that we can put on a island and win their battle 98% of the time--we don't have that right now--Schobel is the closest on D--and there is noone on O.

So what's all this mean...when we make the changes we make during the offseason--I will judge based on how well we follow these learnings...I don't know much--but I know that making the same mistakes over and over for 5 years is not worthy of retention...and that publicly challenging your veterans and trying to play secret squirrel with the rest of the happenings on the team (injury status, etc.) is not a sign of someone mature enough to be a head coach.

Ralph needs to keep the keys for a while and give them to a pair of someones who will make smarter decisions--possibly avoiding the situations that caused me to observe these learnings.....

Look at our track record:

Their former team either cut them, made it clear they wanted to trade them and replace them with better talent or had little interest in resigning them on the open market--never even making an offer.  Their value has turned out below what the Bills are paying.  All came from organizations that have experienced at least some form of success the last 5 years

Lindell (SEA)-you could make an argument this year--but we are paying him top kicker money...

Bennie Anderson (BAL)

Lawyer Milloy (NE)

Troy Vincent (PH)

Bledsoe (NE)

Teague (DEN)

536102[/snapback]

Of course, had Dallas followed your advice, they wouldn't have Bledsoe either...and now where would they be? :unsure:

Of course, had Dallas followed your advice, they wouldn't have Bledsoe either...and now where would they be?   :unsure:

536141[/snapback]

He played nicely the first half year for us as well.... :angry:--we paid him for three.. Right now they are getting hammered by Greggggggg Williams' defense....

Additionally--this is a reinforcement of my learning...Drew's last stop before landing in Dallas was a crappy organization (The Bills) -- he is now "Thriving" with a decent organization (it makes me puke to say this) the Cowboys.

Of course, had Dallas followed your advice, they wouldn't have Bledsoe either...and now where would they be?  :unsure:

536141[/snapback]

Out of the plaoffs just like us......it is currently 35-0 wash. and gregg-o is beating him like he means it............pat w. out of the playoffs pitts. pounded his boys real bad just like last year...