Nate Clements proved his worth last night

OnTheRocks

He proved he isn't worth paying top dollar for.

536084[/snapback]

Seriously

Can you think of any recent player that has managed to hurt his stock as quickly as Clements, without injury? Even the national reporters like ESPN talk about how Clements has played poorly.

Resigning him has become an intresting proposition. We will have more then enough cap room to bring some quality players in, and retain Clements, but is he even worth the franchise tenure? Then if you don't tag him some team out there (probably a division team) would pay him top dollar and he would get away. Ultimately I would like to see him tagged, and traded only if the Bills get a premium pick or player.

Mcgee has played worse then clements. and isn't the answer to replace him nor is eric king, kevin thomas or jabari greer. I still think it's more the scheme then the skill of the players. Your secondary can only be as good as your dline allows them to be. The better your dline the better your secondary. It also doesn't help having a guy like clements play 10 yards off the ball and playing cover 2. It kills us over the middle and on crossing routes, allowing wr's to eat up catches and yards and they pile up. Also with a cover 2 if you get a reception over the middle all it takes is one block and the wr will get huge yardage as we've seen several times this year.

The problem imo becomes not whether nate clements is worth re-signing I believe he is, but who do you replace him with?

I also wonder if denver fans sit around and go "Champ Bailey isn't worth his contract" seeing how the broncos have the 29th pass ranked defense. I guess they don't cause of their record.

Mcgee has played worse then clements. and isn't the answer to replace him nor is eric king, kevin thomas or jabari greer.  I still think it's more the scheme then the skill of the players.  Your secondary can only be as good as your dline allows them to be. The better your dline the better your secondary. It also doesn't help having a guy like clements play 10 yards off the ball and playing cover 2.  It kills us over the middle and on crossing routes, allowing wr's to eat up catches and yards and they pile up. Also with a cover 2 if you get a reception over the middle all it takes is one block and the wr will get huge yardage as we've seen several times this year.

The problem  imo becomes not whether nate clements is worth re-signing I believe he is, but who do you replace him with? 

I also wonder if denver fans sit around and go "Champ Bailey isn't worth his contract" seeing how the broncos have the 29th pass ranked defense.  I guess they don't cause of their record.

536093[/snapback]

I will defend Nate as a top corner, but we have personally witnessed blown assignments and coverage’s all year, much more so then we were used to see from Nate Clements. The scheme does tend to isolate him more, but it has for awhile and he's shown in the past that he could handle it. This year he has really been off and it's made him much more retainable. I figured he had the potential of being the highest paid corner in the NFL at the start of the year. Now he is worth about the franchise tenure, which Mortenson reported as being very affordable.

If not Clements, I think Will Allen has shown plenty of value this year for the Giants, and would be worth looking into.

I also wonder if denver fans sit around and go "Champ Bailey isn't worth his contract" seeing how the broncos have the 29th pass ranked defense.  I guess they don't cause of their record.

536093[/snapback]

Bingo!!!

And listen, Nate hasnt played well (his play is giving me serious thought to changing my screename on TBD LOL)....but in the long run, maybe Nate having a subpar season is GOOD for the Bills...we all know he can play better, maybe the Bills can bring him back for a bit le$$ then we thought, plus fix the DL holes, get Takeo back, and get another solid corner, and Nate's play will improve.

DT's are much more important

536128[/snapback]

i agree with this....but i think Tim Anderson deserves some more time to develop.

Pat Williams and Ted Washington were not overnight sensations.

Teddy came over after being dumped by the 49ers if i recall correctly.

i agree with this....but i think Tim Anderson deserves some more time to develop.

Pat Williams and Ted Washington were not overnight sensations.

Teddy came over after being dumped by the 49ers if i recall correctly.

536131[/snapback]

I agree Anderson should get time to develop but as part of a rotational system. and not at the expense of taking a day one dt. The pats drafted seymour/warren/wilfork. As well as bringing in free agents to help them. If we draft ngata and go after a grady jackson if we cut sam adams and re-sign ron edwards as he's proven to be good in a rotation system. A dt lineup of Jackson/Ngata/Edwards/Anderson will be a huge step in the right direction