What happened to freedom of speech?

Stiffler

That Stadium was built with public money and it is owned by Erie County.Therefore,the right of free speech should prevail.....

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/BuffaloBills/

536458[/snapback]

I may be wrong, but I believe the facility that GEICO is using in Amherst is actually leased from the ECIDA. Does that mean you can go inside and start doing/saying anything you want? Why don't you try and let us know how things turn out... :devil:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is restricting you from carrying that sign outside of the stadium. The stadium is a privately-owned place so they pretty much can do what they want with your signs.

It's amazing how many people have no grasp of what "freedom of speech" is.

What gives security the right to take away signs if they are not profane, racist, etc.?  Why can the fans not express their right to say that Tom Donahoe sucks, or "Mularkey is mularkey"?  This isn't Beijing for crying out loud.

I was so pissed last night... I can't hold up a sign that says, "Fire Donahoe?"  Is that sign hurting anyone?  Honestly, only one man's feelings might be hurt. 

Legally, do they have the right to do that anyway?  What's the word on this?

535910[/snapback]

Did you get into the game?

Did you get to see a "game"? (Ok...I'll use the term "game" loosely.)

Then you got everything you paid for. Simply as a matter of common decency you do not have the right to bring any type of sign berating someone or something into the stadium. Legally you don't have the right either. It's not about who owns the stadium but who owns the product. The product is owned by the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. They can pretty much do anything they want, i.e. pat downs being the current prime example.

Wow.  Interesting response... to the detractors...

<Much misinformation removed>

The fact that ownership is doing this at all just shows me how insecure they are.  You can't take a little ribbing on a small cardboard cut-out?  Wow.  And where's the support here?  I figured more of yall would be feeling the same way...

536130[/snapback]

The stadium is publicly owned

And you're right.It's amazing how many people have no concept of what freedom of speech is. :(

536997[/snapback]

The EVENT is a private event, the terms of which you agree to when you purchase the ticket. One of the terms of which is: the event organizers can tell you to shut the !@#$ up.

Much like SDS, as the organizer of this private board, can tell you to shut the !@#$ up and ban your ass if he wants, even though the internet infrastructure is in the public domain. Believe it or not, the First Amendment does not grant you the right to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

The Stadium Wall is not funded by taxpayer dollars...at least the last time that I checked.

The internet is. TSW is on the internet. Ergo, SDS should not be able to censor you...by the same logic people are applying to Bills games.

Some people view our rights as crackerjack trinkets......

537015[/snapback]

And some people's knowledge of our rights is little removed from the back of a CrackerJack box, it seems...

Yes, that means you. :(

The internet is.  TSW is on the internet.  Ergo, SDS should not be able to censor you...by the same logic people are applying to Bills games.

And some people's knowledge of our rights is little removed from the back of a CrackerJack box, it seems... 

Yes, that means you.  :(

537076[/snapback]

CTM- that was worded wonderfully- the meaning is ambiguous and could go either way! I nearly fell out of my chair laughing! :doh:

Sure.

Stop confusing the meaning of free speech.

537121[/snapback]

Sorry, bud. But the First Ammendment guarantees that the Government will not pass legislation preventing free speech. Nothing more.

The only way to change that is to ammend the Constitution, and I'm sorry, but its too late in the day for that.

Sure.

Stop confusing he meaning of free speech.

537121[/snapback]

Oh, good God. :( You should be planted head-first in the ground like a turnip. Holding up a sign at a private event is NOT constitutionally protected. PARTICULARLY when you accept a CONTRACT allowing the event organizers to MONITOR AND CENSOR YOUR SPEECH!!! What part of that do you not understand?

Oh, good God.  :(  You should be planted head-first in the ground like a turnip.  Holding up a sign at a private event is NOT constitutionally protected.  PARTICULARLY when you accept a CONTRACT allowing the event organizers to MONITOR AND CENSOR YOUR SPEECH!!!  What part of that do you not understand?

537131[/snapback]

The fact that he's not bigger than the country and the Constitution

You're deriving a perverse pleasure from watching me bang my head against a wall, aren't you?  :(

537155[/snapback]

I just think its funny that people continually try to invoke the Constitution at completely innappropriate times!

Please detail the specifics of the harm caused by holding up a 'Donahoe must go' sign.

Some of us still believe in free speech even though it may be an alien concept to you. :(

536755[/snapback]

It's not alien to me. But if some drunken fan takes exception and a fight breaks out, you can be the one to call The Barnes Firm for all the injured bystanders...