What happened to freedom of speech?

Stiffler

What gives security the right to take away signs if they are not profane, racist, etc.? Why can the fans not express their right to say that Tom Donahoe sucks, or "Mularkey is mularkey"? This isn't Beijing for crying out loud.

I was so pissed last night... I can't hold up a sign that says, "Fire Donahoe?" Is that sign hurting anyone? Honestly, only one man's feelings might be hurt.

Legally, do they have the right to do that anyway? What's the word on this?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What gives security the right to take away signs if they are not profane, racist, etc.?  Why can the fans not express their right to say that Tom Donahoe sucks, or "Mularkey is mularkey"?  This isn't Beijing for crying out loud.

I was so pissed last night... I can't hold up a sign that says, "Fire Donahoe?"  Is that sign hurting anyone?  Honestly, only one man's feelings might be hurt. 

Legally, do they have the right to do that anyway?  What's the word on this?

535910[/snapback]

If we lived in Beijing I'd say the Bills frucking suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What gives security the right to take away signs if they are not profane, racist, etc.?  Why can the fans not express their right to say that Tom Donahoe sucks, or "Mularkey is mularkey"?  This isn't Beijing for crying out loud.

I was so pissed last night... I can't hold up a sign that says, "Fire Donahoe?"  Is that sign hurting anyone?  Honestly, only one man's feelings might be hurt. 

535910[/snapback]

You can't yell fire in a theater either. The ticket you buy only gives you the right to enter someone's place of business. It does not give you carte blanche to ignore the owners' rules.

sigh, once again......

Banners and Signs

Banners and signs are generally permitted, but any such item deemed by management to be dangerous, inappropriate, or which obstructs the view for other guests will be removed. Banners and signs must be event-related, in good taste and not commercial. Flags or banners that are commercial, offensive in nature, or attached to poles are prohibited. Banners or signs may not promote or advertise organizations or companies not affiliated with the Buffalo Bills and may not be placed over any official signage.

from Ralph Wilson Stadium Policies

We already know his attitude (to quote TD himself) "save the postage" ..... he just doesn't want to hear what we have to say.

so to just turn around his phrase a bit "save the cardboard and sharpie ink".

HE'S the football expert ..... we are the unwashed masses. He dosen't have to answer the phone calls from us jerks ..... he doesn't have to read (or even look at) signs violating the scenic beauty of RWS. TD can isolate himself from just about any protest we fans can come up with, except one.

As long as butts are in the seats, TD can continue on his merry way unphased, but as season ticket sales begin to fall off (and they will if this continues) and the threat of empty seats starting to outnumber the filled ones (I'd bet in another season or two) he'll have a real reason to sweat ..... and he WILL hear our message.

535910[/snapback]

Fully legal and yes they can do that. "Freedom of Speech" doesn't grant you any right to walk into someone's place of business and call that someone a fool. Furthermore, it doesn't protect you should that someone retaliate and defend themselves within legal reason. Now, if Congress passed a law that kept you from saying that you think Tom Donahoe is a tool, then perhaps, there would be an issue.

That said, I think it's a lame thing to do and sign is fine.

535910[/snapback]

What would your opinion be, if I were to parade in front of where you work with a sign that said "Fire Stiffler"?

Worst arguument ever.

Of course management doesn't "like" the sign.

But fans who pay for the tickets and pay their salaries have a right to voice their opinion.

Worst argument ever... oh yeah, I said that.

What would your opinion be, if I were to parade in front of where you work with a sign that said "Fire Stiffler"?

535945[/snapback]

The First Amendment freedom of speech provision prohibits the government from censoring any speech based on content. No matter how strongly the government may disagree with the content of what you're saying, it doesn't have the right to stop you from saying it.

However, none of this applies to the owners of private property. You can kick someone off your own land for any reason whatsoever. This applies to business owners too. Since you're entering someone else's land (Ralph Wilson Stadium), you have to play by the rules of those who own the land.

The First Amendment freedom of speech provision prohibits the government from censoring any speech based on content. No matter how strongly the government may disagree with the content of what you're saying, it doesn't have the right to stop you from saying it.

However, none of this applies to the owners of private property. You can kick someone off your own land for any reason whatsoever. This applies to business owners too. Since you're entering someone else's land (Ralph Wilson Stadium), you have to play by the rules of those who own the land.

535974[/snapback]

Thank you.

Worst arguument ever. 

But fans who pay for the tickets and pay their salaries have a right to voice their opinion.

Worst argument ever... oh yeah, I said that.

535968[/snapback]

Well, I'll be dawgged. Guess I'll have to clean off my shoes.

It's been adequatetly stated that your ticket is a license, subject to terms.

Where do you come up with this right you claim exists? Don't cite the Constitution, please.

That's the public arena...

Worst arguument ever.

DAWGG - So does that mean you could go to a restaurant, buy a meal and eat it while wearing a shirt that says "the food at (restaurant) tastes like crap".

I mean, you are paying the salaries of the waiters, right?

535910[/snapback]

With all due respect, are you serious? You are entitled to NOTHING but admission while buying a ticket for an event.

Geez, would you like some cheese to go with that WHINE.

It's funny that TD is more concerned with his national appearance than his local. Taking the signs away just makes his local reputation worse (if that's possible) and the only thing it prevents are the signs being shown on highlight shows for the national audience.

It's funny that TD is more concerned with his national appearance than his local. Taking the signs away just makes his local reputation worse (if that's possible) and the only thing it prevents are the signs being shown on highlight shows for the national audience.

I think you guys are wrong. I bet just about all the teams in the league would do the same exact thing.

Wow. Interesting response... to the detractors...

1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "owner" of Ralph Wilson Stadium is the County of Erie. Shouldn't that make it a public place subject to the full gambit of the first ammendment? Ralph and the Bills lease it.

2) STOP using the old "the stadium is a place of business". Yes, literally it is. But, it is unlike every other place of business that you have or will ever know. There are no logical comparisons that should be made between a Xerox office and the Ralph. Sports is sports. So just stop.

And so, don't give me this b.s. about walking into a restaurant and wearing a "This food sucks" shirt because I can. One, the restaurant is a private place, as stated. Secondly, and more importantly, bringing signs into a restaurant is not customary; yelling at the top of your lungs is not normal while dining; and chucking peanuts on the floor is very rare. Those are, however, well-established commonplace, accepted actions happening nationwide in sports stadiums all the time.

3) The post made about the Bills' policy: "Banners and signs are generally permitted, but any such item deemed by management to be dangerous, inappropriate, or which obstructs..." The only way that a "Mularkey is mularkey" sign should be confiscated is if it is inappropriate. And how, in the world, is that sign inappropriate? If anything, that would be the appropriate way to vent your frustration at a coach: with humor, not vulgarity.

4) And you, "parade in front of your work" guy. Please. First, that's silly. Second, I WILL let anyone parade in front of my work. Shoot, I'll let 70,000 parade if they want to (provided, of course, that they all pay $40). I'll take some funny pictures, make a nice $2.8 million, and fix the lawn after. Not bad for one Sunday afternoon.

5) "Patdown" guy. I love my civil liberties. Obviously. I also love not getting blown-up. So (and I can't believe I actually have to explain this), I am cool with the patdowns cuz bulky jackets can contain lots of stuff. I am not cool with the confiscation of harmless signs that are not inappropriate, obstructive, mean, disparaging, racist, or anything else.

The fact that ownership is doing this at all just shows me how insecure they are. You can't take a little ribbing on a small cardboard cut-out? Wow. And where's the support here? I figured more of yall would be feeling the same way...