Why I Can't Stand Holcomb at QB

MDH

Last night was a classic example of how Holcomb is the new RJ. A guy that puts up plenty of decent looking stats but doesn't help your team win.

The Bills were 4/12 converting 3rd downs last night. They threw the ball on 8 of those attempts. Here's how it broke down:

3rd and 4, 2 yard completion

3rd and 7, incomplete

3rd and 8, incomplete

3rd and 25, 2 yard completion

3rd and 8, 3 yard completion

3rd and 5, incomplete

3rd and 12, 10 yard completion

3rd and 1, 10 yard completion

So Holcomb was 5/8 passing on 3rd downs...for one first down. Nice looking completion percentage that does absolutely nothing to help us win the game.

Last night was a classic example of how Holcomb is the new RJ.  A guy that puts up plenty of decent looking stats but doesn't help your team win.

The Bills were 4/12 converting 3rd downs last night.  They threw the ball on 8 of those attempts.  Here's how it broke down:

3rd and 7, incomplete

3rd and 8, incomplete

3rd and 5, incomplete

So Holcomb was 5/8 passing on 3rd downs...for one first down.  Nice looking completion percentage that does absolutely nothing to help us win the game.

535680[/snapback]

Holcomb is certainly not the answer but 6 of 8 of those were 3rd and long. The broncos were consistantly dropping 8 or 9 guys into coverage. The only thing that opens up is underneath stuff in cases like that.

Last night was a classic example of how Holcomb is the new RJ.  A guy that puts up plenty of decent looking stats but doesn't help your team win.

The Bills were 4/12 converting 3rd downs last night.  They threw the ball on 8 of those attempts.  Here's how it broke down:

3rd and 7, incomplete

3rd and 8, incomplete

3rd and 5, incomplete

So Holcomb was 5/8 passing on 3rd downs...for one first down.  Nice looking completion percentage that does absolutely nothing to help us win the game.

535680[/snapback]

I have to agree. I can excuse 2 yards on 3rd and 25, but the rest? No. It drives me crazy, too, and he's been doing this all season. It doesn't result in more points or wins, and its about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Is Holcomb calling the plays?  Do we pick those up when JP is in there?  No and No.  This is poor coaching, and poor play calling.

535720[/snapback]

i get your point--but it is flawed because a lot of those throws looked like 2nd reads-OR-he had TIME to make that 2nd or third read ........When you see a guy 2 yards down the field --on a 3rd and 5-with 3 tacklers ready to smash him immediately--a good QB will go to a different read--and look for someone else down the field--or try to buy some time to let someone get open.

Holcomb is a coward back there. The first Pats game, on 4th and 10 he throws a one yard dump pass - game over. Several times last night he was given sufficient time, but quickly checked down to a dump off receiver rather than stay in there, make a play downfield, but risk getting hit. A qb must make plays downfield; otherwise like holcomb, he will complete 70% of his passes but the offense will do nothing.

Holcomb has looked much better than JP. The jury is still out on JP, but I am not particularly optimistic. It is difficult to tell with the line that we have and the horrible play of the team as a whole.

It would help both QBs if the D could get off the field and the offense had more opportunities.

I am sure that 49er fans did not mind the dinks and dunks when Montana was there.

Holcomb is forced to take what is there. He obviously is not the QB of the "future." I have no idea whether JP is either. Yet, let's not be overly critical of Holcomb for doing his job. He is a very good back up who is capable of coming in as the starter. I wish the JP supporters did not feel so compelled to trash Holcomb for doing what he was brought in to do.

3rd and 7, incomplete

3rd and 8, incomplete

3rd and 5, incomplete

535680[/snapback]

Bad coaching and poor play calling is responsible for that .These poor coaches are over their heads.Its like trying to get blood from a rock.Ain`t gonna happen.........I for one feel sorry for these poor bastards!

Holcomb has looked much better than JP.  The jury is still out on JP, but I am not particularly optimistic.  It is difficult to tell with the line that we have and the horrible play of the team as a whole.

It would help both QBs if the D could get off the field and the offense had more opportunities.

I am sure that 49er fans did not mind the dinks and dunks when Montana was there. 

Holcomb is forced to take what is there.  He obviously is not the QB of the "future."  I have no idea whether JP is either.  Yet, let's not be overly critical of Holcomb for doing his job.  He is a very good back up who is capable of coming in as the starter.  I wish the JP supporters did not feel so compelled to trash Holcomb for doing what he was brought in to do.

535829[/snapback]

Good post. IIRC, most here were pleased when the Bills signed him. I think he'd be welcome on several teams as the back-up, and perhaps starter on some.

On the 2004 bills Holcomb would've been a more then sufficent starting qb, however with our current attrocity of a team it's better to go with the young kid. Although I haven't seen an awful lot from losman other then he can scramble and has a strong arm. I can't put that much stock in either of the qb's due to the current state of our oline, defense, no idenity, poor coaching etc etc etc, but I'd rather see the kid play right now. Not cause I think he's gonna be a great qb, I don't see that right now, but I want to see if he shows any true glimpses.

But if you're only down 12 and make the 2 point conversion then you're down 10. Now you only need a touchdown and field goal to force overtime.... or am I missing something here?  :unsure:

535637[/snapback]

I love the people blaming playcalling for Holcomb checking down on 3/4 of the plays. There are guys past the first down marker Holcomb just refuses to take any chances with the ball. A WR has to be WIDE open for Holcomb to pull the trigger...and that just doesn't happen that often in the NFL.

I love the people blaming playcalling for Holcomb checking down on 3/4 of the plays.  There are guys past the first down marker Holcomb just refuses to take any chances with the ball.  A WR has to be WIDE open for Holcomb to pull the trigger...and that just doesn't happen that often in the NFL.

536036[/snapback]

What is the difference? Holcombe isn't the problem. He is a backup, and a good one. Besides, after Gandy whiffed and Pryce hit him in his face, KH was lucky to be alive, much less able to run a weak offense against a division winning playoff team.

Good post. IIRC, most here were pleased when the Bills signed him.  I think he'd be welcome on several teams as the back-up, and perhaps starter on some.

535984[/snapback]

I think you and Peter need to buy a ticket and actually watch Holcomb with a full view of the field. He is a gutless POS when the chips are down. The QB's job is not just to get the ball to the athletes, it's to get them the ball where they have a good chance to succeed. Once defenses adjust to the Bills initial offensive gameplan, those wide open receivers he loves so much, suddenly become guys who need a good throw to make a play. He can't pull the trigger. In that regard he IS Rob Johnson all over again, the difference being that he isn't as tough as the immortal RJ and let's someone else take the hit for him and will continue collecting paychecks as a journeyman loser because of it.

Is Holcomb calling the plays?  Do we pick those up when JP is in there?  No and No.  This is poor coaching, and poor play calling.

535720[/snapback]

even more important is the poor play design which takes your best players and uses them as decoys instead of as playmakers.

Wow- you really did some homework on the situationals. You have to remember though- the QB isn't the only factor in 3rd down conversions- you need a good OL, and the QB needs good decision making, and some offensive weapons who can make plays