O-Line Not as Important as Skill Positions

BenchBledsoe

With all the talk about how desperately we need to upgrade the o-line and we better not take skill position players I'd offer this hypothetical. . .

Would our current team be better if we had Indy's entire o-line rather than our o-line and our current skill position players. . .

OR

would our current team be better with Peyton Manning at QB, Edge at RB, Harrison & Wayne at WR behind our CURRENT O-line?

I have a feeling our O-line would look a heck of a lot better with those skilled people. Our team would clearly be better with Indy's skilled guys vs. Indy's O-Line.

So, while we all howl for major upgrades on the O-line, let's not forget that our skill positions could stand an upgrade (especially when Moulds leaves) too!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the talk about how desperately we need to upgrade the o-line and we better not take skill position players I'd offer this hypothetical. . .

Would our current team be better if we had Indy's entire o-line rather than our o-line and our current skill position players. . .

OR

would our current team be better with Peyton Manning at QB, Edge at RB, Harrison & Wayne at WR behind our CURRENT O-line?

I have a feeling our O-line would look a heck of a lot better with those skilled people. Our team would clearly be better with Indy's skilled guys vs. Indy's O-Line.

So, while we all howl for major upgrades on the O-line, let's not forget that our skill positions could stand an upgrade (especially when Moulds leaves) too!

535638[/snapback]

LOL. We have pretty good positon players now except at QB who's very green. If we had anybody but our own, the Texan's or the Niner's lines we would be much improved!

I don't know what games your watching but DB is no longer here and yet we put up with the same crap week after week. <_<

OR

535638[/snapback]

Our skill players with Indy's o-line. Even Manning is not a miracle worker, although that would be a huge huge upgrade at that position.

You could put Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders in their primes behind this line and it still wouldn't matter. In pro football, the best team wins. This is why the Patriots have had their dynasty. Bellicheck has been a master at building great teams out of good but not great talent. Last year, they were able to put a WIDEOUT in the secondary and still win.

Of course you're forgetting the fact that with Indy you're talking about 3 future HoFers. Everything being equal a good Oline will make average/good skill position players look great. Good skill position players end up looking bad behind a bad Oline. Sure Indy's skill guys would make this team better...but I'd bet cash that they wouldn't win the SB with this Oline.

anyhow, if you're counting on the Bills needing HoFers back there to make up for the poor blocking that's not a sound plan.

You could put Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders in their primes behind this line and it still wouldn't matter.  In pro football, the best team wins.  This is why the Patriots have had their dynasty.  Bellicheck has been a master at building great teams out of good but not great talent.  Last year, they were able to put a WIDEOUT in the secondary and still win.

535705[/snapback]

I don't know, if we had those three, I think we'd probably win even with our OL. Sanders never had an OL and he did great. Rice was great at catching the short passes and making big plays, and Montana was great at getting him the ball. In this case, I think we'd be ok. <_<

As for the original question, I'll take Indy's OL. Our RB is arguably as good as James if he has holes. Our WRs are still very good. And either KH or JPL would be servicable if they had a dominant running game and weren't worried about being crushed every other play.

CW

And this is why I wouldn't complain at all if we took Leinart, or the best WR in the draft. . . by the way, who would that be? I think tonight showed that Evans is a good #2 WR, but should never be confused with a #1.

535639[/snapback]

Yeah, I think we would be much better with Leinhart getting sacked every other play rather than JP. That is the kind of thinking that has taken this team to where it is, the depths of the league, for the last 5 years.

OR

535638[/snapback]

There has never been an offensive system so clever with skill players so skilled that it could succeed without blocking. I don't think we would be any better, at all. I have never seen Edge break a long one when there wasn't a hole made somewhere up front by his line. I haven't seen Peyton Manning complete many passes while laying on his back. All the Marvin Harrison's in the world will not help you if your QB is buried under 800 lbs of defensive linemen.

It is this kind of thinking that has made this team the laughing stock of the NFL.

Case in point that any Bills fan should know:

OJ Simpson. When he arrived to the Bills they had lousy coaching and a lousy line. The result was that he sucked. Saban comes in as a half way decent coach and the first thing he does is build a solid line with guys like Joe D and Reggie. The next thing you know, OJ was "unstoppable". Thing is, before he got a line, he was very stoppable.

Case closed. Get a freaking line already.

OR

535638[/snapback]

Option #1: Indy's O-line with our skill players.

OR

535638[/snapback]

the pats offense is pretty much unstoppable with truly mediocre offensive line talent (half their line is injured too).

There has never been an offensive system so clever with skill players so skilled that it could succeed without blocking. 

535773[/snapback]

watch the patriots. their linemen are true journeymen at best, but they're surrounded by excellent skill players and a great scheme that minimizes their weaknesses.

OR

535638[/snapback]

Posts like this make me wonder.. Yeah we need an upgrade at skill positions.

watch the patriots. their linemen are true journeymen at best, but they're surrounded by excellent skill players and a great scheme that minimizes their weaknesses.

535830[/snapback]

This is a reflection on how the Pats coaches outclass our coaches. If you watch the Pats, you will notice that Brady has much more time and Dillon has much more room within which to operate.

On a related note, the Pats secondary has been decimated by injuries. Yet, they somehow seem to get the job done. The Pats coaching staff is outstanding.

Amazing how the Pats constantly find 5th and 6th round college guys to come in and fill the void for their team. Nor 1st round draft picks. Guys with smarts, the will to learn and play hard and they coach them well. Tom Brady makes them look great. I don't think our OL is as bad as some say. If our QBs make some passes, RBs run a little better and the WRs catch balls thrown their way things change pretty quickly. And the play calling could sure be better. Our coaches out think themselves too often. Remember the "our OL is so bad" claims when RJ was QB. Well the same OL went from having the most sacked QB to the least sacked QB in a week with a QB replacement. That one replacement was Flutie. So your point on the post does have some merit.

Tell this to the Texans. I think we've seen enough sh------- linemen here the past decade to know better then this. Our skill position players are fine, lets get some damn linemen on both sides of the ball.

Ne plays well cause their linemen are quality and well coached. Our linemen are fat undisciplined slobs who fall over themselves. Having skill players is nice but you don't win in this league without quality linemen.