Postal "security"

Fezmid

You mean I can put a check in my mailbox, and they'll leave me stamps??? If you go to USPS.com and put a book of stamps in your cart, you'll see the $1 "shipping and handling" charge.

The thing is, I didn't leave the package in my mailbox -- I gave it to the shipping department at my company (like I always have).  I'm not sure how it gets from the shipping department to the post office, but I'm assuming someone actually comes by and picks it up (we're a large company).

CW

536082[/snapback]

Yes. You don't have to do that online, probably unless you want a specific stamp design. You can just leave a check or $7.40 in the mailbox with a note requesting a book of stamps. I thought that's what you were referring when having the "delivery charge" which would be bs. I don't know about the online purchasing b/c I've never had to do it; got someone on the inside who does it for me. :unsure:

I couldn't speak to the reason for the return. If it worked in the recent past, I don't see why it changed now. But they do want to be sure that the person listed as the sender on a package is the one who is mailing it. I asked 'What if you're mailing a package for someone?' and was told, "You'd probably be better off to just put your name on it."

Yes. You don't have to do that online, probably unless you want a specific stamp design. You can just leave a check or $7.40 in the mailbox with a note requesting a book of stamps. I thought that's what you were referring when having the "delivery charge" which would be bs. I don't know about the online purchasing b/c I've never had to do it; got someone on the inside who does it for me. :angry:

Well that's cool. At least SOMETHING positive happened from this "security" thing :angry:

I couldn't speak to the reason for the return. If it worked in the recent past, I don't see why it changed now. But they do want to be sure that the person listed as the sender on a package is the one who is mailing it. I asked 'What if you're mailing a package for someone?' and was told, "You'd probably be better off to just put your name on it."

536099[/snapback]

I'm tempted to just peel off their security stickers and drop it off at my shipping department again to see if it comes back to me a second time... :unsure:

CW

I'm just upset because it wastes my time and defeats the purpose of me paying money to have the stamps delivered to my house ($1 fee) so I could avoid ever having to go to the Post Office...  And I can mail whatever I want through UPS and FedEx, so if I WERE sending a bomb, all I would do is use a different courier service instead.

CW

535836[/snapback]

In other words, it's not the rule itself that's inane, so much as the system it exists in where it's contradictory to a whole bunch of other stuff. Yeah, I'd agree with that. That's also about par for the course...while the security thought (rightly) this was a good idea, and the marketing guys thought (rightly again) the mail-order stamps were a good idea, they don't talk to each other, so combined their ideas look stupid. That happens in more than just the post orifice.

Well that's cool.  At least SOMETHING positive happened from this "security" thing :angry:

I'm tempted to just peel off their security stickers and drop it off at my shipping department again to see if it comes back to me a second time... :unsure:

CW

536119[/snapback]

I gave a letter to the postman,

He put it his sack.

Bright in early next morning,

He brought my letter back.

She wrote upon it:

Return to sender, address unknown.

No such number, no such zone.

We had a quarrel, a lover’s spat

I write I’m sorry but my letter keeps coming back.

So then I dropped it in the mailbox

And sent it special d.

Bright in early next morning

It came right back to me.

She wrote upon it:

No such person, no such so.

This time I’m gonna take it myself

And put it right in her hand.

And if it comes back the very next day

Then I’ll understand - the writing on it

No such number, no such zone.

:angry:

What is this country coming to???  I put some Bills DVDs in the mail a few days ago for a fellow TSW member.  Eight DVDs (4 slim-line cases) in a Priority Mail envelope - the kind where you can mail as much as you want in the package.  Well, today I get it returned back to me with two stickers.  One says, "Surface Transportation Only" with a picture of a plane with a big red circle/slash around it.  The second sticker says the following:

WTF?  Terrible grammar aside, what "extra security" do they gain by making me go to the post office and handing it to a desk clerk?  Nothing!  They won't open it, scan it, or do anything other than (probably) weigh it and say, "Thanks."  DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!  :unsure:  :angry:  :angry:

CW

535407[/snapback]

They don't gain anything, Muhammed. B-)

• 2 weeks later...

As an update -- I peeled off the two stickers they put on the envelope ("ground transport only" and "please bring this to the postoffice to mail"), and tried to mail it again. It's been about a week and a half, and I havn't gotten the package back yet, so I think it went on to its final destination (either that, or they put it on the tarmac and detonated it.... :doh: ).

Further proof that the "security" is worthless.

CW