Postal "security"

Fezmid

What is this country coming to??? I put some Bills DVDs in the mail a few days ago for a fellow TSW member. Eight DVDs (4 slim-line cases) in a Priority Mail envelope - the kind where you can mail as much as you want in the package. Well, today I get it returned back to me with two stickers. One says, "Surface Transportation Only" with a picture of a plane with a big red circle/slash around it. The second sticker says the following:

Important Customer Information

We regret that your mail is being returned to you because of heightened security measures.  All domestic mail, weighing 16 ounces or over, that bears stamps and all international and military APO/FPO mail weighing 16 ounces or over, MUST be presented to a retail clerk at a post office.  Postage that is affixed to the returned mail may be used for re-mailing the item.

WTF? Terrible grammar aside, what "extra security" do they gain by making me go to the post office and handing it to a desk clerk? Nothing! They won't open it, scan it, or do anything other than (probably) weigh it and say, "Thanks." DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!! <_<:doh::(

CW

Shhh.... don't talk about Government like that, he'll get you. You can't say that! Government will be mad. You don't want to make Government mad. Government is good... oh, look.. black helicopters!

535436[/snapback]

USPS isn't officially the government, so it's ok <_<

What is this country coming to???  I put some Bills DVDs in the mail a few days ago for a fellow TSW member.  Eight DVDs (4 slim-line cases) in a Priority Mail envelope - the kind where you can mail as much as you want in the package.  Well, today I get it returned back to me with two stickers.  One says, "Surface Transportation Only" with a picture of a plane with a big red circle/slash around it.  The second sticker says the following:

WTF?  Terrible grammar aside, what "extra security" do they gain by making me go to the post office and handing it to a desk clerk?  Nothing!  They won't open it, scan it, or do anything other than (probably) weigh it and say, "Thanks."  DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!  <_<  :doh:  :(

CW

535407[/snapback]

Mailbombs (like the Unabomber) came in large packages with lots of stamps on them. Also, there is a sign at the PO about media (CD's, Tapes, etc) that they will be inspected.

Mailbombs  (like the Unabomber) came in large packages with lots of stamps on them.  Also, there is a sign at the PO about media (CD's, Tapes, etc) that they will be inspected.

535491[/snapback]

This isn't a large package with a lot of stamps on it though. It's a Priority Mail envelope with a Priority Mail stamp on it. That's it.

And fine, inspect the package -- xray it, whatever. Why do I have to hand it over? They won't inspect it at the post office, because it's a sealed priority mail envelope, and the only way to physically inspect it is to open the package, ruining the envelope and my stamp (which they say I'll be able to use at the post office).

I've mailed these in the past (weeks ago), and there was never a problem either.

It's ridiculous.

CW

Live-in relative works at the P.O. so I get to watch all of the propaganda training videos. There are some stupid policies, that's for sure, but they're there for the whole "CAUTION: COFFEE IS HOT!" reason.

This, however, is an utterly useless exercise. Putting the sealed package in the mail for your mailman/woman vs. handing the sealed package to the clerk. They CANNOT require you to show them the contents of the package, and doing so would have lines out the doors, closely followed by everyone using FedEx or UPS.

Sounds like you have a listless carrier or an over-officious prick for a postmaster. Maybe both.

What is this country coming to???  I put some Bills DVDs in the mail a few days ago for a fellow TSW member.  Eight DVDs (4 slim-line cases) in a Priority Mail envelope - the kind where you can mail as much as you want in the package.  Well, today I get it returned back to me with two stickers.  One says, "Surface Transportation Only" with a picture of a plane with a big red circle/slash around it.  The second sticker says the following:

WTF?  Terrible grammar aside, what "extra security" do they gain by making me go to the post office and handing it to a desk clerk?  Nothing!  They won't open it, scan it, or do anything other than (probably) weigh it and say, "Thanks."  DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!  :unsure:  :angry:  :angry:

CW

535407[/snapback]

Security cameras. The theory is, anyone sending bombs through the mail will avoid getting filmed, so if you require them to go to the desk (where the cameras are) instead of a drop-point, it makes it harder for them to mail bombs.

The weak point in that reasoning, of course, is the assumption that a camera is sufficient deterrence. If you accept the assumption, it makes sense. If you don't - or if circumstances change...say, if people start mailing bombs not caring if they're caught by the cameras - it doesn't.

Security cameras.  The theory is, anyone sending bombs through the mail will avoid getting filmed, so if you require them to go to the desk (where the cameras are) instead of a drop-point, it makes it harder for them to mail bombs.

The weak point in that reasoning, of course, is the assumption that a camera is sufficient deterrence.  If you accept the assumption, it makes sense.  If you don't - or if circumstances change...say, if people start mailing bombs not caring if they're caught by the cameras - it doesn't.

535798[/snapback]

You also have to assume that they'll be able to figure out who gave them the bomb. I seriously doubt that they keep the camera tapes all that long (if they even all have cameras anyway). Once a million packages hits a central distribution area, you'll be hardpressed to figure out which package did the exploding, much less which post office it came from, and nearly impossible to figure out which person sent that package.

It's lame and a waste of time (which I don't think you were disagreeing with :unsure: ).

CW

You also have to assume that they'll be able to figure out who gave them the bomb.  I seriously doubt that they keep the camera tapes all that long (if they even all have cameras anyway).  Once a million packages hits a central distribution area, you'll be hardpressed to figure out which package did the exploding, much less which post office it came from, and nearly impossible to figure out which person sent that package.

It's lame and a waste of time (which I don't think you were disagreeing with :unsure: ).

CW

535803[/snapback]

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they could figure out who gave them a specific package; in fact, given the nature of the stricture, I can make a pretty good guess at how it's done (no stamps - so they're requiring a postal employee to put one of their printed stickers with the dollar amount on it...which probably contains the time and location of sale somewhere on it.)

But that's not the point. The point is deterrence: it increases the risk, or at the very least the perception of risk, to the bomber of getting caught, and makes it harder for him to accomplish his mission. There's a lot of stuff like that nowadays, rules that don't add materially to security themselves, except in channelling the actions of potential terrorists/criminals into high-risk/low-reward operational patterns.

(no stamps - so they're requiring a postal employee to put one of their printed stickers with the dollar amount on it...which probably contains the time and location of sale somewhere on it.) 

Except that this is a Priority Mail package in a flat-rate envelope... And the sticker says I can use my current stamp that's on the package to send it (it's not even cancelled yet). I don't think they'll put another stamp on it when I hand it to them - maybe they will, I guess I'll find out.

I'm just upset because it wastes my time and defeats the purpose of me paying money to have the stamps delivered to my house ($1 fee) so I could avoid ever having to go to the Post Office... And I can mail whatever I want through UPS and FedEx, so if I WERE sending a bomb, all I would do is use a different courier service instead.

CW

Except that this is a Priority Mail package in a flat-rate envelope...  And the sticker says I can use my current stamp that's on the package to send it (it's not even cancelled yet).  I don't think they'll put another stamp on it when I hand it to them - maybe they will, I guess I'll find out.

I'm just upset because it wastes my time and defeats the purpose of me paying money to have the stamps delivered to my house ($1 fee) so I could avoid ever having to go to the Post Office...  And I can mail whatever I want through UPS and FedEx, so if I WERE sending a bomb, all I would do is use a different courier service instead.

535836[/snapback]

There's a delivery fee for stamps? That's news to me. That little LLV you see is a "rolling post office" according to the training propaganda. I've seen it. There should NOT be a delivery charge. Something is going on there; as I said, either you have a listless prick for a carrier or a prick for a postmaster. Or both.

The Post Office has had the power to open any package for many, many decades - maybe always. I recall, through the years, getting a few packages that were opened, and stamped "Opened for Postal Inspection".

It's nothing new.

If a 3rd party does it, it is a crime - tampering with the mail.

There's a delivery fee for stamps? That's news to me. That little LLV you see is a "rolling post office" according to the training propaganda. I've seen it. There should NOT be a delivery charge. Something is going on there; as I said, either you have a listless prick for a carrier or a prick for a postmaster. Or both.

535882[/snapback]

Not sure what an LLV is...

I buy the stamps at usps.com, and they always charge $1 to deliver. When I order the Priority Mail envelopes, they don't charge me though, just for the stamps...

Not sure what an LLV is...

I buy the stamps at usps.com, and they always charge $1 to deliver.  When I order the Priority Mail envelopes, they don't charge me though, just for the stamps...

536010[/snapback]

That's what they call the little white trucks. Just asked, and according to the postal regulations, there is NOT a "delivery charge" for stamps. As I said, that truck is a "rolling post office" and if you leave $7.40 you're supposed to get a book of stamps. That's like paying your drywaller seperately for each piece of sheetrock he brings into your house; it's already part of the job description, not an extra charge. I'd bring it to someone's (postmaster's) attention; don't just let it go, man. The carrier could be making a couple hundred bucks a year on the snide.

See that's messed up.  The "Mail Lady" here has weighed stuff for me in her truck and provided the extra postage when I was short.  UConn's probably right, your carrier or postmaster is a tool.

536016[/snapback]

Also, learned that they will not take packages over 16 oz. from a mailbox, even with the proper postage. You must meet the carrier at the mailbox or take it to the post office, where they will ask you whether you have any explosive materials in the package. The clerk is also supposed to verify via driver's license, etc. that you are the labeled sender. They can't open a package... but there are security measures in place for detecting explosives, etc. Kind of stupid for the above reasons. Doesn't do anything for preventing a mailbomb, just that they'll be able to trace it after the fact.

That's what they call the little white trucks. Just asked, and according to the postal regulations, there is NOT a "delivery charge" for stamps. As I said, that truck is a "rolling post office" and if you leave $7.40 you're supposed to get a book of stamps.

You mean I can put a check in my mailbox, and they'll leave me stamps???

If you go to USPS.com and put a book of stamps in your cart, you'll see the $1 "shipping and handling" charge.

Also, learned that they will not take packages over 16 oz. from a mailbox, even with the proper postage. You must meet the carrier at the mailbox or take it to the post office, where they will ask you whether you have any explosive materials in the package. The clerk is also supposed to verify via driver's license, etc. that you are the labeled sender. They can't open a package... but there are security measures in place for detecting explosives, etc. Kind of stupid for the above reasons. Doesn't do anything for preventing a mailbomb, just that they'll be able to trace it after the fact.

The thing is, I didn't leave the package in my mailbox -- I gave it to the shipping department at my company (like I always have). I'm not sure how it gets from the shipping department to the post office, but I'm assuming someone actually comes by and picks it up (we're a large company).

CW