Have any of you gone to Breckenridge to ski?

Peter

Thanks.

533551[/snapback]

Really cool place. Skiing Is what you would expect from the that part of the Rockies, awesome. What i reaaly like about Breck, (now it has been eight years since I've been) is the town was very cool. Didn't have that Disney feel, but reaaly maintained some of that ols moutain town feel. Some excellant brew pubs bcak in the day, with good , decent priced food and super beer. Highly recommend the place.

Having said all that, Whistler be the place for the best skiing in the west in my mind, but Brec blows Whistler away in terms of ambiance.

My brother-in-law is thinking about going there to ski.

Do any of you have any recommendations about Breckenridge?  Where to go?  Where to stay? etc.

533486[/snapback]

Peter,

Depends on when you go. I've been to Breck probably half a dozen times and will say that I like it less each time I go. Granted last time I went (Holidays last year) it was a zoo, so my opinion is skewed. Here's my take:

Town

The best part about Breck. Great nightlife, plenty of bars and restaraunts to keep you happy.

The Mountain

Honestly, not very challenging for advanced boarders & skiers, although they have added a chair since last year (Imperial) which I believe is supposed to open up some more horizontally challenged terrain. One plus is some of their more difficult terrain is also only accessed by a T-Bar, which tends to keep the the less-talented from getting up on that peak. Good area for beginners and intermediates, with lots of wide, groomed blue cruisers.

It tends to be crowded during weekends as local Front Range skiers can buy a season pass for around $300, plus it's a top destination resort for the rest of the country. The mountain layout is maddening and it seems like it takes forever if you want to get to a particular area. On mountain food sucks and is expensive, but so is the food at every ski resort I've been to save Whistler & Aspen.

Summary

My intention isn't to rain on your brother-in-law's parade. If you've never been, go. You'll have a great time. Any resort out west is like Mt. Olympus compared to the Southern Tier resorts of WNY. However, if you frequently ski out west, you may be underwhelmed. Any further questions, just let me know.

- Kevin

Having said all that, Whistler be the place for the best skiing in the west in my mind, but Brec blows Whistler away in terms of ambiance.

534117[/snapback]

Ever been to Utah?

:doh:

Ever been to Utah?

534191[/snapback]

Utah!!!

Our best trip was to Utah 2 years ago, did Canyons, Deer Valley, Park City and Alta. Alta was by far the best for the skiing, great powder, great terrain, the lifts could use an update but it really wasnt that bad. Nightlife was pretty non existent at the base, Although I heard there may have been more places at Snowbird.

Last time I was there was in '92. Had a great time.

You have 4 major choices to choose from that are close in "Summit Country/County." IMO, kinda like the choices you have in the Banff, Alberta area... Varying degrees of elevations, types of ski areas.

A-Basin (Arapahoe Basin) is at the highest elevation and keeps snow longer for better spring skiing.

Breckenridge... Nice town.

Copper Mountain... Never been there.

Keystone... In between A-Basin and Breckenridge

Next time I decide to go there, I might think of renting a car and hitting various areas while staying in Breckenridge.

You can't miss... Nice choices.

Really cool place. Skiing Is what you would expect from the that part of the Rockies, awesome. What i reaaly like about Breck, (now it has been eight years since I've been) is the town was very cool. Didn't have that Disney feel, but reaaly maintained some of that ols moutain town feel. Some excellant brew pubs bcak in the day, with good , decent priced food and super beer. Highly recommend the place.

534117[/snapback]

Don't they have cannabis bars at Whistler? :doh:;)

Im my mind... I would take the Banff area. Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, and lesser known Norquay with it's classic cuts and steep drops!

Check out SnoCountry for all the conditions and stats.

I've been to the following:

CO

Winter Park, Steamboat, Breckenridge, Vail

UT

Deer Valley, Park City, The Canyons, Alta, Soltitude

Favorite by far is Park City. Transit gets you to PC, DV and TC. Second choice would be Vail ($$$$$).

Not much on the nightlife personally. Ski my a$$ off during the day, good meal and some beers at the condo at night. Plenty of zzzzz's. Do it over again.

Any resort out west is like Mt. Olympus compared to the Southern Tier resorts of WNY. However, if you frequently ski out west, you may be underwhelmed. Any further questions, just let me know.

Come on man....you can't beat Greek Peak for the overall ski/nightlife experience.

Summary

My intention isn't to rain on your brother-in-law's parade. If you've never been, go. You'll have a great time. Any resort out west is like Mt. Olympus compared to the Southern Tier resorts of WNY. However, if you frequently ski out west, you may be underwhelmed. Any further questions, just let me know.

- Kevin

534186[/snapback]

It isn't the size of the wand, it is the magic in it!

Nothing beats skiing on ice/hard pack!

It's the best in the Mid Atlantic, but that isn't saying much. I go there most often because of its proximity. East coast skiing stinks once youve been to "real resorts." 40 below with wind chill= good times. It blows away the crap in Virginia.

With the cold and snow this year, probably a good start to the season for the West Viginia resort?

I have never been there but I hear it is a decent area.  Let me know!

534345[/snapback]