Wade Philips to be HC . . .

Peter

Not that we don't need another TD thread, but I'd like to get back to talking about Wade Phillips. I felt that when he was the head coach, the defense was coached well, while the offense and special teams were not.

The playoff game against Tennessee was a case in point. The Bills' offensive line was big, strong, and slow. The Titans' defensive line was small and fast. Whenever that's the case, you're supposed to run the ball down their throats. Instead, the OC went pass-happy, resulting in a first half in which the Bills were held scoreless. However, the Titans' defense scored when a DE went untouched to the QB, and scored off the resulting fumble.

In the second half, the Bills enjoyed offensive success by placing more emphasis on running the ball. The pass plays were more successful because the defensive line was getting worn down by all the running plays. But the playcalling should have been that way all season long, instead of just the second half of the playoff. As for the special teams . . . maybe the less said the better.

What I'm getting at here is that the playcalling is a reflection of Wade as a head coach. On the defensive side it was great, but not so for the rest of the team.