Wade Philips to be HC . . .

Peter

. . . of the Houston Texans?

According to the NFL Network, Dan Reeves is rumored to be recommending that that the Texans hire Wade as HC.

Apparently, Wade is going to get another "sniff" at being a HC.

Good for Wade. I hope he gets the chance.

Peter, I do think Wade would be a decent choice, but only if he comes w/ a different GM. They have made some rather horrid decisions on that squad, perhaps the worst one was not doing nearly enough to protect your franchise player, the first player ever taken by the team-QB David Carr.

Peter, I do think Wade would be a decent choice, but only if he comes w/ a different GM.  They have made some rather horrid decisions on that squad, perhaps the worst one was not doing nearly enough to protect your franchise player, the first player ever taken by the team-QB David Carr.

532701[/snapback]

They tried Rich. Remember they took a damaged Tony Boselli in the expansion draft? :blink: That hurt them big time having to eat that salary.

Peter, I do think Wade would be a decent choice, but only if he comes w/ a different GM.  They have made some rather horrid decisions on that squad, perhaps the worst one was not doing nearly enough to protect your franchise player, the first player ever taken by the team-QB David Carr.

532701[/snapback]

Agreed. I think that he is a darn good HC. The Bills should never have let him go.

Agreed.  I think that he is a darn good HC.  The Bills should never have let him go.

532753[/snapback]

I loved the Wade Phillips teams too, but Wade basically fired himself by standing by Ronnie Jones - which might have been forgiveable, but then also by the infamous "we're basically out of it" quote.

The #1 job duty of a HC is leadership, and saying "we're basically out of it" with a playoff birth on the line was an unforgiveable failure of leadership.

JDG

I loved the Wade Phillips teams too, but Wade basically fired himself by standing by Ronnie Jones - which might have been forgiveable, but then also by the infamous "we're basically out of it" quote. 

The #1 job duty of a HC is leadership, and saying "we're basically out of it" with a playoff birth on the line was an unforgiveable failure of leadership.

JDG

532758[/snapback]

it's a little more complicated than that. he wanted to shift jones to lb coach. jones, as many here may not recall, was a former lb coach and the defensive coordinator for buddy ryan's arizona cardinals in a year they ended up ranked #3 overall on defense.

JDG

532758[/snapback]

Nick Saban said the same thing about a month ago. I also don't think that Saban wears a head set. :blink: (Does he?)

Agreed.  I think that he is a darn good HC.  The Bills should never have let him go.

532753[/snapback]

Wade Phillips was a good guy, and you could tell that he was a leader just by being in the same room as him....glad to say that I had that opportunity.

Guys, guys, guys. I think the Bills coaching situation of the last few seasons is giving you a distorted, desperate perception of other coaches. Although I have much respect for Wade as a DC Im not close to being sold on him as a head coach.

. . . of the Houston Texans?

According to the NFL Network, Dan Reeves is rumored to be recommending that that the Texans hire Wade as HC.

Apparently, Wade is going to get another "sniff" at being a HC.

Good for Wade.  I hope he gets the chance.

532699[/snapback]

I hope he gets the chance. I also agree with R.Rich in that the Texans need a new GM. Casserly is just as accountable as Capers.

Reeves and Bob McNair (Texans owner) are college buddies. I think that Reeves recommends Wade for the Texans job (Bum Phillips is still a football god down here in Texas, many wanted Wade to be the Texans original coach), and then reccomends himself for Casserlys' job...then, if the Texans struggle, Reeves cans Wade, so he can replace him as HC, as happened to him in Denver! I think all of this will happen...I wouldn't mind seeing Reeves coach the Bills...I know he is not as experienced as Marv (Levy is 80, Reeves is 61), but the guy knows that game. My only reservation is that he could destroy Losman, if there is any talent in the kid....

I hope he gets the chance.  I also agree with R.Rich in that the Texans need a new GM.  Casserly is just as accountable as Capers.

532838[/snapback]

Interestingly enough, back when we were last in the GM market, Casserly was the most sought after name available. He was considered by some at the time to be Ron Wolf-like at least on the football side of the job. Donohoe was considered the second most attractive GM candidate.

Now, they both are considered utter failures. I find this facinating and curious at the same time. How could so many people be so very wrong about these guys? There has to be more to this than meets the eye. Perhaps the criteria for the job has dramatically changed over the pst 5 years. Or, maybe it hasn't. Just a hunch.

Reeves and Bob McNair (Texans owner) are college buddies.  I think that Reeves recommends Wade for the Texans job (Bum Phillips is still a football god down here in Texas, many wanted Wade to be the Texans original coach), and then reccomends himself for Casserlys' job...then, if the Texans struggle, Reeves cans Wade, so he can replace him as HC, as happened to him in Denver!  I think all of this will happen...I wouldn't mind seeing Reeves coach the Bills...I know he is not as experienced as Marv (Levy is 80, Reeves is 61), but the guy knows that game.  My only reservation is that he could destroy Losman, if there is any talent in the kid....

532868[/snapback]

are you saying reeves would destroy jp because of the stormy relationship he and elway had the last few years in denver?i hadn't even thought about that.i know dan reeves did allright as the giants head coach.i wouldnt mind dan being our coach....maybe down the line jp could have a 98 yard "drive" to beat marty shottenheimers chargers to go to the superbowl in "06! lol lol

Interestingly enough, back when we were last in the GM market, Casserly was the most sought after name available.  He was considered by some at the time to be Ron Wolf-like at least on the football side of the job.  Donohoe was considered the second most attractive GM candidate.

Now, they both are considered utter failures.  I find this facinating and curious at the same time.  How could so many people be so very wrong about these guys?  There has to be more to this than meets the eye.  Perhaps the criteria for the job has dramatically changed over the pst 5 years.  Or, maybe it hasn't.  Just a hunch.

533169[/snapback]

because, despite what suicidals say - building a football team isn't easy. You can't go to WalMart and pick out all the ingredients on their well-stocked shelves. Sometimes you address an area and the player fails. Sometimes the right guys are not available when you need them. Sometimes greatness comes from the darkness.

Remember, Polian built the Panthers around Kerry Collins. Mistake? Yep. But that is who was available at the time. So, smart men can fail very easily in the NFL....

Interestingly enough, back when we were last in the GM market, Casserly was the most sought after name available.  He was considered by some at the time to be Ron Wolf-like at least on the football side of the job.  Donohoe was considered the second most attractive GM candidate.

Now, they both are considered utter failures.  I find this facinating and curious at the same time.  How could so many people be so very wrong about these guys?  There has to be more to this than meets the eye.  Perhaps the criteria for the job has dramatically changed over the pst 5 years.  Or, maybe it hasn't.  Just a hunch.

533169[/snapback]

Part of the answer is that football is a zero sum game. You cannot get better off in football without making somebody off worse off. This is a key factor in what SDS pointed out - building a winning football team is hard.

Unfortunately, the culture of our media obscures this often enough. For example, the media often acts like every team should be successful every year. Or also consider the way Championships are reported. When New England went to the Super Bowl in the 2001 season, it was "their 1st Super Bowl since 1996", not "their second Super Bowl in just six years." Or consider the way playoff berths are treated - as almost a baseline for being acceptable.... not as being a sign of achievement. And heck, the media often wants to run Mike Shanahan out of Denver because he only "makes the playoffs" almost every year, but hasn't won a playoff game in a few years - when the truth of the matter is that there are only 12 playoff berths handed out each year among 32 teams.... or to only 37.5% of the League in a given year. And of course, there is only one Super Bowl Champion - which means that in a League of perfect parity, you should expect at best one Championship every 32 years..... who has the patience for that?

Of course the NFL does not have parity. Consider, for example, Peyton Manning. I've been saying for years that Peyton Manning is going to retire as the greatest QB in NFL History. These last two years, he's been playing like it - he's already broken Dan Marino's TD record last year, and this year led the first team to clinch the #1 spot while undefeated since 1972. So long as Manning as playing at that level - on par with the greatest in NFL history - that means the every other NFL Team (o.k. with maybe the possible arguable exception of Brady) is starting up a leg-down at the QB position in competing with the Colts for the NFL title for the next few years, until Manning begins to lose a step. That's just the way it is, and there's nothing that Tom Donahoe, Ron Wolf, or Theo Epstein can do about it to match the Colts in talent at the QB position - the game's most critical position.

I think that Donahoe's personnel moves have generally been o.k. Unfortunately, he had his first building project Bledsoe-Henry-Moulds-Reed-Campbell fail, so he blew it up and started over again - which unfortunately has put us behind the 8-ball, having built two separate offensive cores in the span of just five years. (Building two separate offensive cores in just five years is impressive, but its no surprise that our defense and offensive line have suffered while doing so.) I give him credit for recognizing mistakes and moving on. The jury is still out on Losman-McGahee-(Moulds?)- Evans-Parrish-Everett, but we shall see. His biggest failing has been at the HC position, where Gregg Williams apparently suffered through extensive interference (would love to read his memoirs someday), and where Mularkey simply appears to not "have it" in the leadership department. Its hard to give a guy a third chance at hiring a Head Coach, so Donahoe probably has to go, but I do have perspective on the whole situation, and recognize that there is every possibility that our next GM, who will surely have fewer credentials than Donahoe, could do worse.

JDG

If a failure includes a championship game, I'd take that right about now :doh:

Remember, Polian built the Panthers around Kerry Collins. Mistake? Yep.  But that is who was available at the time. So, smart men can fail very easily in the NFL....

533707[/snapback]

If a failure includes a championship game, I'd take that right about now :doh:

533723[/snapback]

that success lived but a single season...

The point is, there aren't 32 Mannings/Kellys/etc... to be handed out to every team. Sometimes you pick a Collins or Trade for a Bledsoe, or take the 4th QB out of a draft when your team needs help at QB.

Clearly Donahoe has made mistakes. Maybe it will cost him his job. But he is not a dumb football man.