Go Mayor Bloomberg!

KD in CA

Transit workers want 8 percent annual raises over three years, and contend they should get a share of the MTA’s unexpected $1 billion surplus this year. And after the transit bombings in Madrid and London, they also want more terrorism training, saying they feel unprepared to handle disasters.

The gall. An 8% raise over three years and terrorism training? I'm outraged!

The gall.  An 8% raise over three years and terrorism training?  I'm outraged!

532550[/snapback]

Yeah, cause $33/hr plus benies and retirement, plus the 3% and 2% raises over the next two years (the "insult" that's already been offered) isn't nearly enough for that guy who stands on the downtown platform of the 4-5 train at 42d street and says good morning to people coming down the stairs. But what the hell, working class people who are already paying $2 each way to ride the subway to work can certainly pony up some more to pay for this.

And btw, 8% annual raises would be a 26% raise over 3 years. Good thing money grows on trees.

The gall.  An 8% raise over three years and terrorism training?  I'm outraged!

532550[/snapback]

Obviously you're a scientist and not an accountant. 8 percent annually is alot different than 8% over three years. I'll believe ANYONE deserves an 8% annual raise right after the enlisted guys get theirs.

They're threatening to shut down the entire city for an extended period of time.

Sounds like they've passed the terrorism final exam.  :blink:

532742[/snapback]

If this really happens it is going to SUCK.

Talk about handcuffed. MTA has socked it to the customer left and right, save for this ridiculous one-month discount frenzy that is confusing as all get-out, and really more worthwhile for tourists who were coming to NYC anyway! Like cheaper holiday Metrocards are going to somehow lure MORE tourists here... ;) And now everyone is going to be screwed. I agree MTA should do something with the surplus -- and give it back to the customers who gave it to them in the first place. This is the giant problem with a private corporation that is supposed to be publicly accountable. It's the worst of both worlds.