if the bills gm believes that a qb is truly a ...

dave mcbride

Guest BackInDaDay
Antonio Gates.

532291[/snapback]

...and LT.

Point is - with a good OL, and great skill players, an unproductive QB becomes an all-Pro. Remember, they wanted Eli to stay.

Love the one your with.

Peace. 0:)

and i mean truly believes. let's say a new gm comes in (and a new gm will be coming in), looks at the tape, and decides that losman clearly isn't going to be the next big thing. moreover, the bills, who are drafting high, have a chance to take a prospect that the staff truly and wholeheartedly believes is a can't miss, blue chip qb who will lead the team for years. what do you do? i'm of a mind that the qb is the most important player on the team, and finding a good one is really, really hard.  also, think about the pack -- until this year they've always been good despite the so-so talent around favre.  brady is becoming like that as well.  also bear in mind that the bills will have the chance to nab decent linemen in free agency (steve hutchison from seattle comes to mind).

i'm of course not saying this is going to happen, and i'm also not suggesting that losman isn't capable of becoming good. it's a hypothetical question, and is dependent on the staff truly believing that a qb draftee is going to be that guy and that losman isn't the answer.

532227[/snapback]

The short answer is yes, of course you take such a player and build around him.

The more complicated answer is that you never know who is going to be 'can't miss' Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer both went #2. Johnny Unites went undrafted.

And the easy answer is.....no one fits that category this year so it's moot anyway. Leinart, Young and Quinn all should be considered question marks.

I don't want to see anyone drafted on day 1 that doesn't weight at least 300 lbs.

I don't want to see anyone drafted on day 1 that doesn't weight at least 300 lbs.

532335[/snapback]

Because of course Buffalo won't be needing any safeties, receivers, linebackers, corners, or tight ends.......

JDG

Uhhh.... no, he was not.  He was viewed as a fast-riser with all of the athletic tools....  There was a QB, however, who was viewed as a can't-miss pick in that draft, and as it was, he was taken ahead of Ryan Leaf.

I heard he turned out pretty good, BTW....

JDG

532296[/snapback]

SD takes all the heat...but there was PLENTY of Teams who blew the Scouting Report on Ryan Leaf...While it seemed pretty obvious most prefered Manning, there was a strong undercurrent of opinion that Leaf was the QB with the better long term upside (much of that had to do with pure athletic ability, arm-strength, etc...)...I'm sure there was plenty of back tracking, erasing and shreding in NFL Scouting Departments when Leaf bombed...No one wants to be known as the Scout or the Personnel Director who had Leaf before Manning on his Draft Board...But believe me there were a few who did...Leaf is actually sort of a case study with some forward thinking GM's...the personality profiling stuff that is real important to some Scouting Departments now (I believe there is one Company that outsources the testing...I saw a piece on ESPN once and they used Leaf as an example)...Anyway...

Plenty of Teams missed bad on Leaf, they were just lucky enough to have SD take him before they got a chance... And I think the good Teams took it to heart and made sure it would not happen again... 0:)

Because of course Buffalo won't be needing any safeties, receivers, linebackers, corners, or tight ends.......

JDG

532357[/snapback]

No, not nearly as bad as they need offensive and defensive linemen they don't.

Linebackers and receivers. That would be just great...

JDG

532357[/snapback]

Not without an offensive or defensive line they don't. And they have linebackers and safeties. Tight end I might make an exception for as a fourth or fifth pick. Address the arterial bleeding before the bruises.

SD takes all the heat...but there was PLENTY of Teams who blew the Scouting Report on Ryan Leaf...While it seemed pretty obvious most prefered Manning, there was a strong undercurrent of opinion that Leaf was the QB with the better long term upside (much of that had to do with pure athletic ability, arm-strength, etc...)...I'm sure there was plenty of back tracking, erasing and shreding in NFL Scouting Departments when Leaf bombed...No one wants to be known as the Scout or the Personnel Director who had Leaf before Manning on his Draft Board...But believe me there were a few who did...Leaf is actually sort of a case study with some forward thinking GM's...the personality profiling stuff that is real important to some Scouting Departments now (I believe there is one Company that outsources the testing...I saw a piece on ESPN once and they used Leaf as an example)...Anyway...

Plenty of Teams missed bad on Leaf, they were just lucky enough to have SD take him before they got a chance... And I think the good Teams took it to heart and made sure it would not happen again... 0:)

532415[/snapback]

It's true. There wasn't a whole lot that separated Manning and Leaf physically-speaking. Both were big, tall, pocket QBs that could make all the throws. Both played at Div I-A schools and won a lot of games, etc.

The difference between these two was what was going on between the ears. It's just obvious now.

Peyton Manning is driven to excel and be one of the greatest QBs to ever play in the NFL. He busts his hump and works non-stop to perfect his craft. He's humble, still striving for perfection, etc.

Ryan Leaf, on the other hand, fully expected that his God-given natural ability to sling a football was just going to continue to carry him along with zero effort. Not only wasn't he dedicated to making himself a great QB, he didn't even care enough about the game to even want to play. His college cockiness became evident as a shallow, arrogant person with a paper thin skin and no respect for his teammates, coaches, fans, or himself.

Character matters. And not just at the QB position.