Lee Evans. Underachiever.

Not sure about football, but there was a story run on MLB on the local radio station.  Baseball is hiring a bunch of people like they do every year.  Parttime work, and what they do is they take  these teams, go to everygame, and they are updating the stats after everypitch.  They had a name for them.  These teams are also interviewing people who were students of the game, knew what they were talking about who would write up brief summaries about everything happening.  I am sure the NFl does the same thing and send these crip notes out to lots of folks.

532085[/snapback]

Baseball is a sport where stats are much more telling, than football. Because there is so much action on a given play, there is no way to gauge how effective a player, who is not handling the ball, is performing, by just keeping stats.

During Losmans' first four starts, he competed 1 or 2 passes of over 20 yards, and woefully off target on near every play. With Holcomb in the game, the passing game took a much more conservative slant. Holcomb definitely had a preferance for throwing to Moulds. Now, with JP back, and playing better, Evans has re-emerged as a deep threat. You can't fairly judge how Evans is playing, when both of his QB's had their limitations. If Evans was dropping lots of passes, it would be one thing. It seems to me, he has, for the most part, caught what has come his way.

Jeez, the only offensive hightlight of the second half of this season has been the connection of Losman to Evans...lets not start a Lee Evans witch-hunt now!

Baseball is a sport where stats are much more telling, than football.  Because there is so much action on a given play, there is no way to gauge how effective a player, who is not handling the ball, is performing, by just keeping stats. 

During Losmans' first four starts, he competed 1 or 2 passes of over 20 yards, and woefully off target on near every play.  With Holcomb in the game, the passing game took a much more conservative slant.  Holcomb definitely had a preferance for throwing to Moulds.  Now, with JP back, and playing better, Evans has re-emerged as a deep threat.  You can't fairly judge how Evans is playing, when both of his QB's had their limitations.  If Evans was dropping lots of passes, it would be one thing.  It seems to me, he has, for the most part, caught what has come his way. 

Jeez, the only offensive hightlight of the second half of this season has been the connection of Losman to Evans...lets not start a Lee Evans witch-hunt now!

532151[/snapback]

Oh I don't know I think the fake QB sneak, throw back to Mcgahee will make some highlight reels. The stacked right receivers, playaction, throw int aginst miami will probably be seen a lot as well. :doh:

Oh I don't know I think the fake QB sneak, throw back to Mcgahee will make some highlight reels.  The stacked right receivers, playaction, throw int aginst miami will probably be seen a lot as well.  :doh:

532160[/snapback]

Okay, the fake QB sneak, I will give you....but other than that, it has been all Evans and Losman! :lol:

Little birdies here chirp that Chad Johnson will be a Rosenhaus-sponsored holdout.

Ergo, B'gals '05 #3 pick Chris Henry WVA and #6 pick Tab Perry UCLA.

Perry's the keeper there, btw.  :doh:

532166[/snapback]

Chris Henry was an absolute steal for the bengals. He has the potential to be a great #1 wr, but droped in the draft due to attitude problems in college, but he has great talent. He'll be a good one, and if by some chance the bengals let chad johnson go and Henry reaches his potential they won't miss a beat.

Chris Henry was an absolute steal for the bengals. He has the potential to be a great #1 wr, but droped in the draft due to attitude problems in college, but he has great talent. He'll be a good one, and if by some chance the bengals let chad johnson go and Henry reaches his potential they won't miss a beat.

532169[/snapback]

He has talent, for sure. Nice speed, but runs IMO, decidedly non-crisp routes. As advertised, he's immature, having cost the B'gals more than one after-the-play penalty, and also as advertised, drops the wide-open pass - cost them dearly in the 1st PGH game, and has a poor idea as to how one protects the ball after a catch.

He may work out, but I'm skeptical. Hope I'm wrong and would welcome an "I told you so". 0:)

Buffalo well at least as long as I remember has never been a place that brings a lot of yards and stats to wr's. Even Andre Reeds years here. He wasn't a perrenail 1000 yard receiver, but you won't find anyone who says he wasn't effective in what he did. Evans has blazing speed and soft hands. I'd compare him more to terry glenn then to peerless price. He has the potential to be great over time. He's far from a sore spot on this team, and I think we could live without moulds if we get an oline and receiving te. There are teams with far worse wr's then us that have effective offenses the kansas city chiefs spring to mind.

Ignoring JP's woes... Evans has just not shone like we all expected.

This quote from Fox Sports sums him up...

Sadly true - and just adds another need to the off-season shopping list (assuming that Moulds is done).

532045[/snapback]

Um, this is a stupid assessment. Doesn't a team need to have a passing game in order to achieve anything? If the ball doesn't get thrown to him, or anyone on the team for that matter, how can one achieve?

532045[/snapback]

The problem with your post is right here in this first sentence. You can't fairly analyze Evans' performance while ignoring JP's.

One thing I noticed with Lee is that you throw the ball at his direction he will make the catch. I really can't remember the last time he dropped the ball.

He can dissapear sometimes but the blame should be put in the offensive system, which we all can agree is none existant.

Buffalo well at least as long as I remember has never been a place that brings a lot of yards and stats to wr's. Even Andre Reeds years here. He wasn't a perrenail 1000 yard receiver, but you won't find anyone who says he wasn't effective in what he did.  Evans has blazing speed and soft hands.  I'd compare him more to terry glenn then to peerless price.  He has the potential to be great over time.  He's far from a sore spot on this team, and I think we could live without moulds if we get an oline and receiving te.  There are teams with far worse wr's then us that have effective offenses  the kansas city chiefs spring to mind.

532184[/snapback]

As far as the long ball goes, James Lofton and Frank Lewis, and going back a loooooong time, Elbert Dubenion, were pretty spiffy. 0:)

Right on about Evans. He can end up being someone memorable.

Sadly true - and just adds another need to the off-season shopping list (assuming that Moulds is done).

532045[/snapback]

I didn't take the Chris Chambers reference to be a slam at Evans. IMO, Chris Chambers is an excellent WR. It's not Evans' fault that they can't get him the ball. Evans and McGahee are the only two guys on the offense who have shown anything this season.

Peerless Price, part Deux

532054[/snapback]

I hope that is joke because if you're serious that is ridiculous. Evans had 9 tds as a rookie. Price was a number 3 at best. Evans also hasn't been playing in a pass friendly offense. Bledsoe couldn't crack 3000 last year and this year is pitiful. But Evans constantly blocks downfield. Plus, tell me a time he dropped a ball. Evans on the right team (and hopefully it will be the Bills) will be a top wr. Trust me, he is the man. Marvin Harrison Jr.

I hope that is joke because if you're serious that is ridiculous.  Evans had 9 tds as a rookie.  Price was a number 3 at best.  Evans also hasn't been playing in a pass friendly offense.  Bledsoe couldn't crack 3000 last year and this year is pitiful.  But Evans constantly blocks downfield. Plus, tell me a time he dropped a ball.  Evans on the right team (and hopefully it will be the Bills) will be a top wr.  Trust me, he is the man.  Marvin Harrison Jr.

532325[/snapback]

I'm in agreeance with all those who say that any ineffectiveness that Evans has shown this year is a product of the system that the offensive 'master-minds' of Mularkey's staff have put in and the inconsistency of our O-line to keep our QB's on their feet long enough to throw to him. When Holcomb is in the game, he shows a need to get rid of the ball quickly, hence why Moulds was always a target of his. Evans never saw the ball because Holcomb isn't a long ball thrower.

I also think Chad Johnson will stay a Bengal. Wonderboy Rosenhaus doesn't have any pull with NFL management to effectively pull a holdout and though CJ acts like TO on the field, off the field, Chad is supposedly a total team player, a locker room leader, and his teammates actually like him. He wouldn't do anything to disrupt his team.

532045[/snapback]

Obviously you arent completely over the jet lag yet nick...the hot sauce on your wings go to your head?

I also think Chad Johnson will stay a Bengal.  Wonderboy Rosenhaus doesn't have any pull with NFL management to effectively pull a holdout and though CJ acts like TO on the field, off the field, Chad is supposedly a total team player, a locker room leader, and his teammates actually like him.  He wouldn't do anything to disrupt his team.

532351[/snapback]

Hold that thought! 0:)

CJ is an ok guy. But...all those stadium parking lot meetings with that Cur, Rosenfels, makes one wonder. And certainly not just me. It's a question mark the local n'paper beat writers chat about, too.

Compounding the suspicion is that with a pretty fat wr staff going into the draft, the B'gals expended 2 of 7 picks on the WR position.

Just a crazy thought, but I could conceive of them peddling off a CJ if he held out. He'd certainly fetch a lower #1. Of which I think they would turn into a top-flght TE.

Just speculation, of course.

And I once again encourage the Bills to make a stab for the B'gals WR Kelley Washington.