interesting-the successful buffalo head coaches

dave mcbride

... except for saban in the 60s. and even saban brought the bills back to life in the 70s as a coach with prior head coaching experience. the only other successful ones were levy, knox, and phillips.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/bufindex.htm

531985[/snapback]

There is something to be said for this. I just wonder what coaches with head coaching experience are going to available and want to come to Buffalo with the number of head coaching positions that will be open at the end of the season.

Saban coached the Patriots before the Bills

Lou Saban

Coaching Record

Season Team Regular Season Post Season

Record Finish Record Finish

1960 Boston Patriots 5-9 4th -- AFL East --

1961 Boston Patriots 2-3 2nd -- AFL East --

1962 Buffalo Bills 7-6-1 3rd -- AFL East --

1963 Buffalo Bills 7-6-1 2nd -- AFL East 0-1 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1964 Buffalo Bills 12-2 1st -- AFL East 1-0 Won League Championship

1965 Buffalo Bills 10-3-1 1st -- AFL East 1-0 Won League Championship

1967 Denver Broncos 3-11 4th -- AFL West --

1968 Denver Broncos 5-9 4th -- AFL West --

1969 Denver Broncos 5-8-1 4th -- AFL West --

1970 Denver Broncos 5-8-1 4th -- AFC West --

1971 Denver Broncos 2-6-1 4th -- AFC West --

1972 Buffalo Bills 4-9-1 4th -- AFC East --

1973 Buffalo Bills 9-5 2nd -- AFC East --

1974 Buffalo Bills 9-5 2nd -- AFC East 0-1 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1975 Buffalo Bills 8-6 3rd -- AFC East --

1976 Buffalo Bills 2-3 5th -- AFC East --

Career 95-99-7 2-2

... except for saban in the 60s. and even saban brought the bills back to life in the 70s as a coach with prior head coaching experience. the only other successful ones were levy, knox, and phillips.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/bufindex.htm

531985[/snapback]

This may sound crazy, but I would not be opposed to brining back Wade Phillips or Greg Williams over any first year coach. I would much rather have an experienced head coach, gut I think both Wade and Greggo have probably learned a tremendous amount from their first head coaching experiences, and would be able to correct some of the mistakes that they have made. We all know that Belicheck sucked when he was at Cleveland, and we all know the results when he got a second chance. If a team is going to benefit from the learning experiences we have given all these first time coaches, why not let it be us? Rip away.

This may sound crazy, but I would not be opposed to brining back Wade Phillips or Greg Williams over any first year coach.  I would much rather have an experienced head coach, gut I think both Wade and Greggo have probably learned a tremendous amount from their first head coaching experiences, and would be able to correct some of the mistakes that they have made.  We all know that Belicheck sucked when he was at Cleveland, and we all know the results when he got a second chance.  If a team is going to benefit from the learning experiences we have given all these first time coaches, why not let it be us?  Rip away.

532057[/snapback]

This team was Wade's second chance. He coached Denver in 93-94. And what this team needs is some fire. Wade doesn't have it.

As for Williams, I'm not sure he's learned from his mistakes as regards his offensive choices.

Both are fine defensive coordinators and probably not much more. Both also left this team under trying circumstances. I don't expect either back, and neither would provide what this team needs.

BTW, re: Belicheck, we also know he didn't have Charlie Weis, or, as now, his offense when he was in Cleveland. Your assistants can make or break you. Belicheck just has a good personnel philosophy and great luck with his QB, and that has made for a winning combination.

This team was Wade's second chance.  He coached Denver in 93-94.  And what this team needs is some fire.  Wade doesn't have it.

As for Williams, I'm not sure he's learned from his mistakes as regards his offensive choices. 

Both are fine defensive coordinators and probably not much more.  Both also left this team under trying circumstances.  I don't expect either back, and neither would provide what this team needs.

BTW, re: Belicheck, we also know he didn't have Charlie Weis, or, as now, his offense when he was in Cleveland.  Your assistants can make or break you.  Belicheck just has a good personnel philosophy and great luck with his QB, and that has made for a winning combination.

532060[/snapback]

I forgot about Wade's stint in Denver. I'm not sure what this team really needs now other than coaches with expereince (preferably winning experienes) on their resumes. Unfortunately that list is pretty damn short.

Saban coached the Patriots before the Bills

Lou Saban

Coaching Record

Season Team Regular Season Post Season

Record Finish Record Finish

1960 Boston Patriots 5-9 4th -- AFL East -- 

1961 Boston Patriots 2-3 2nd -- AFL East -- 

1962 Buffalo Bills 7-6-1 3rd -- AFL East -- 

1963 Buffalo Bills 7-6-1 2nd -- AFL East 0-1 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1964 Buffalo Bills 12-2 1st -- AFL East 1-0 Won League Championship

1965 Buffalo Bills 10-3-1 1st -- AFL East 1-0 Won League Championship

1967 Denver Broncos 3-11 4th -- AFL West -- 

1968 Denver Broncos 5-9 4th -- AFL West -- 

1969 Denver Broncos 5-8-1 4th -- AFL West -- 

1970 Denver Broncos 5-8-1 4th -- AFC West -- 

1971 Denver Broncos 2-6-1 4th -- AFC West -- 

1972 Buffalo Bills 4-9-1 4th -- AFC East -- 

1973 Buffalo Bills 9-5 2nd -- AFC East -- 

1974 Buffalo Bills 9-5 2nd -- AFC East 0-1 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1975 Buffalo Bills 8-6 3rd -- AFC East -- 

1976 Buffalo Bills 2-3 5th -- AFC East -- 

Career 95-99-7  2-2

532018[/snapback]

thank you for that excellent info! that just proves the point further!!

I forgot about Wade's stint in Denver.  I'm not sure what this team really needs now other than coaches with expereince (preferably winning experienes) on their resumes.  Unfortunately that list is pretty damn short.

532107[/snapback]

You got Fassel, Al Saunders, Jim Bates, Pete Carroll (probably not), Dan Henning, Dick LeBeau, Dan Reeves, Wyche and even Wann-stache out there to name a few. Now obviously some are more palatable than others... I would be comfortable turning this team over to LeBeau, Reeves, Wyche, Fassel, and maybe one or two others on that list.

Also, as for coaches coaching now who might be gone, I suspect Capers will be available after this season. Possibly Jeff Fischer (would be a great pickup) too.

You got Fassel, Al Saunders, Jim Bates, Pete Carroll (probably not), Dan Henning, Dick LeBeau, Dan Reeves, Wyche and even Wann-stache out there to name a few.  Now obviously some are more palatable than others...  I would be comfortable turning this team over to LeBeau, Reeves, Wyche, Fassel, and maybe one or two others on that list.

Also, as for coaches coaching now who might be gone, I suspect Capers will be available after this season.  Possibly Jeff Fischer (would be a great pickup) too.

532146[/snapback]

Fischer or Kirk Ferentz from Iowa

You got Fassel, Al Saunders, Jim Bates, Pete Carroll (probably not), Dan Henning, Dick LeBeau, Dan Reeves, Wyche and even Wann-stache out there to name a few.  Now obviously some are more palatable than others...  I would be comfortable turning this team over to LeBeau, Reeves, Wyche, Fassel, and maybe one or two others on that list.

Also, as for coaches coaching now who might be gone, I suspect Capers will be available after this season.  Possibly Jeff Fischer (would be a great pickup) too.

532146[/snapback]

I would think that Wyche's health issues would probably preclude him from a head coaching job. The stress would probably kill him. I would take Jeff Fischer if Tenn were dumb enough to let him go. Other than maybe Fassel, none of the coaches you mention thrill me. Reeves got pushed out of Atlanta. Mora essentially took the same team and got them to the playoffs. Lebeau really tanked it in Cincinatti. I wouldn't hire Pete Carroll in a million years (can't forget that Jets stint). Ditka might be good, although his last stint in New Orleans wasn't very impressive.