I am a thinker

VABills

"Democrats are stupid"  hyuk, hyuk, yuk.  Sorry, that joke was 99% insult and 1% funny.

532288[/snapback]

Hit a little too close to home or something? I guess political jokes are only funny when Republicans or Conservatives are the punch line.

Surprising that you'd be so hypocritical. [/sarcasm]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you name one joke that isn't insulting to someone?  Cruelty is typically the essence of humor. 

In as much as that was "humor" - I didn't find it very funny either.  But to be offended by it?  0:)  Grow a spine, man...

532340[/snapback]

Check my first post on it Tom, I didn't claim offense, just pointed out that it was a ridiculous joke and that its premise, intellectual republicans listening to NPR, was nonsense. Besides, I'm not offended I think in the sense you are using the word. I didn't report it to the mods and demand it be expunged. I just think it was insulting and not funny. I won't lose any sleep over it but at the same time, I decided not to be shy about calling it what I think it was.

The response to that was that I didn't have a sense of humor. That is when I brought up that not only wasn't it funny, it was insulting.

Your point is well taken that lots of humor depends on mocking somebody, somewhere. I think intention is the key and repetition is an indication of that. Like the "dummycrat" thing. At first I laughed but after enough times its clear it is no longer being meant as a joke, it long ago stopped being funny. Its clearly meant as an insult. This particular "joke" is just the umpteenth version of "dummycrat" I have heard.

I see, so a joke which ends with a non-thinker registering as a democrat wasn't meant to mean that democrats are stupid?  Please.  I got the joke, it just wasn't funny and was insulting to boot.

Its an insult inside of a joke.  Typical.  I didn't find it funny anymore than I would have if it was a polack joke.  Do I have to find every stupid joke told on this board to be funny to have a sense of humor or can I decide once in awhile that a given joke is both insulting and humorless?

You can only post "Joe is a dick...just kidding" so many times before its clear it isn't meant as a joke.

532329[/snapback]

You used to just ignore shiit like that Mickey, maybe thats your answer.

I never did understand the criticism of me for bringing it up. Its not MY digit exploring the inside of GWB's nostril. Hell if he had dug like that for oil he'd be president of Exxon by now. And that isn't MY flightsuit he's wearing as if he'd ever flown a combat mission. And was I on that aircraft carrier hanging up the MissionAccomplished sign...hell no. Now Halliburton you righties were right on. I'm going to put on the old santa costume now and go out and ring a bell collecting quarters for poor Halliburton that the "thinkers" here tell me is losing so much money on those no bid contracts in Iraq~ 0:):blink::w00t:

China on the verge of taking over America the old fashioned way (buying us)

532332[/snapback]

Remember when Bill Clinton and Al Gore weren't taking campaign contributions from them? How about when natural disasters didn't happen during their watch? Oh, and how we didn't use our military because our foriegn policy was uber successful? I don't.

HYPOCRITE.

Things tend to cycles. Take heart. Dem's ran the House for fifty years. You only have 39 years to wait. 0:)

Ha-Ha.

532326[/snapback]

You know, I think that's part of the bigger issue with our lefty friends. They grew up thinking that Congress, the media and the USSC were their exclusive domains to control, since they did so for so long.

It's been a rude awakening for them to find out that they have to share. :blink:

Remember when Bill Clinton and Al Gore weren't taking campaign contributions from them?  How about when natural disasters didn't happen during their watch? Oh, and how we didn't use our military because our foriegn policy was uber successful?  I don't.

HYPOCRITE.

532379[/snapback]

And that relates to china buying us the old fashioned way? I'm not one of those "thinkers" so I'd appreciate your elucidation. 0:)

And that relates to china buying us the old fashioned way?  I'm not one of those "thinkers" so I'd appreciate your elucidation.  0:)

532389[/snapback]

Only you could add 2+2 and get "fencepost". Lord how I've missed your special brand of partisan stupidity. Won't be long until I'm missing it again.

Hit a little too close to home or something?  I guess political jokes are only funny when Republicans or Conservatives are the punch line. 

Surprising that you'd be so hypocritical. [/sarcasm]

532373[/snapback]

Gee, AD riding to the rescue of yet another righty, how fresh and new. How utterly unpredictable.

Yeah, I have posted sooooo many jokes about conservatives haven't I? 5,000 or so posts, count how many of them were mean spirited jokes. Why should facts get in the way of a good insult though right?

What is the problem here anyway Mr. Thought Police, do I have to find every idiotic joke told on this board to be funny to avoid criticism or just the right wing ones? For now I am going to cling to my independence of thought and decide what I find to be funny for myself whether it pleases you or not.

Gee, AD riding to the rescue of yet another righty, how fresh and new.  How utterly unpredictable.

I'm not running to the rescue of anyone because there isn't a need. It's always funny to me to see the self proclaimed liberal intellectuals take offense to being called stupid. Shouldn't you be really, really, really far above that?

Yeah, I have posted sooooo many jokes about conservatives haven't I?  5,000 or so posts, count how many of them were mean spirited jokes.  Why should facts get in the way of a good insult though right?

Ever the lawyer.

What is the problem here anyway Mr. Thought Police, do I have to find every idiotic joke told on this board to be funny to avoid criticism or just the right wing ones? 

The easiest way to combat stupidity is not to engage yourself at a lower level than your adversary. Thought police? A whole new level of lameness, even for you.

For now I am going to cling to my independence of thought and decide what I find to be funny for myself whether it pleases you or not.

532410[/snapback]

Yeah, you're a true independent thinker. Most liberals are. 0:):blink::w00t::D:lol:

Your basic train wreck, I cannot not look.

532412[/snapback]

0:)

Is there an over/under pertaining to which post any given thread in the PPP turns into the same pointless righty/lefty debate?

I would put that number at roughly 5.5. It's typically post 5 or 6 where all threads can merge into the same conversation.

By the way, has anyone EVER changed their politics because of something somebody they don't even know wrote on an Internet message board?

0:)

Is there an over/under as to by what post any given thread in the PPP turns into the same pointless righty/lefty debate? 

I would put that number at roughly 5.5.  It's typically post 5 or 6 where all threads can merge into the same conversation.

By the way, has anyone EVER changed their politics because of something somebody they don't even know wrote on an Internet message board?

532432[/snapback]

No. But somehow you get better at political Whack-O-Mole, be you the mole or the mallet.

You used to just ignore shiit like that Mickey, maybe thats your answer.

532376[/snapback]

Once a year I don't and one look at the calendar this morning told me I was running out of time. Had to get it in.

Look, you can ignore this or poke fun at it or whatever. I knew this kind of response was coming the minute I decided to complain about the joke. I'm just telling you as a friend, in all seriousness, that kind of thing is really getting very tired, very old and a stumbling block to any serious discussion. Some of you guys might truly just be joking around but after listening to the Coulters and Limbaughs and Hannitys of the world for so long now and hearing the same oh-so-funny shiite here, it becomes pretty clear that it really isn't meant as a joke anymore. At the very least it is reaching the point that it is not possible to tell the difference anymore.

I certainly don't think that any complaint of mine is going to stop the parade of that sort of thing around here and I am not on a crusade to rid the world of fart jokes. Not every insult is funny and this one, to me anyway, wasn't. I have as much right to say that here as VA did to post it here in the first place.

ok...I guess I'm forced into my traditional role as peacemaker here to calm the troubled waters. Why don't all pretend this thread never happened and move on to more elucidating (oh God I love that word...makes posting here justified!) topics. We can all consider this thread dead as the proverbial doornail?