Vick's Injury on Monday Night Football

Fourth quarter, Falcons in control up by 13, and Vick takes an illegal hit, but not one that is inconceivable for a QB to absorb during any game. Vick's x-rays showed bruised ribs only. But who knows how they will affect him next week in a must-win game, in the cold in Chicago vs. the hardest hitting defense in the league.

That being said, and knowing that the entire league was watching MNF, what effect does Vick leaving the game and going to the locker room for X-rays have on Tony Dungy and his decision to play Manning in an attempt to win every game? Seeing as every game until the playoffs is meaningless for the Colts, does this hit on Vick put a pit in Dungy's stomach, knowing the season can crumble on any given play? Will Manning see the 2nd half at all for the rest of the year?

Manning gets hit once a month

530978[/snapback]

Only takes one hit to crack a rib.

I agree, Manning (and Harrison/James) have been, overall, very durable during their careers (minus James' knee injury.) And Manning doesn't put himself in harm's way like Vick does. But it's got to have Dungy thinking how quickly it all can change.

Manning gets hit once a month

530978[/snapback]

He was sacked three times against Jax...

That said, I think you keep the players in, hope they build a big lead and pull 'em at halftime. Nobody will say, "Hey, the Colts won the Superbowl in '05," but they WILL remember if the Colts went undefeated while doing it.

CW

Vick's style of play makes injury inevitable. I doubt Dungy will consider that in his decision making at all. That's not to say he won't rest Manning. He knows there is some risk and once the Colts have home field wrapped up he may not want to take a chance, but comparing Vick to Manning is apples and oranges.

Only takes one hit to crack a rib.

I agree, Manning (and Harrison/James) have been, overall, very durable during their careers (minus James' knee injury.)  And Manning doesn't put himself in harm's way like Vick does.  But it's got to have Dungy thinking how quickly it all can change.

530979[/snapback]

IIRC, he sat players last season. I'd expect him to do so soon. Getting back up Sorgi (?) some playing time makes sense, too.

That being said, and knowing that the entire league was watching MNF, what effect does Vick leaving the game and going to the locker room for X-rays have on Tony Dungy and his decision to play Manning in an attempt to win every game?  Seeing as every game until the playoffs is meaningless for the Colts, does this hit on Vick put a pit in Dungy's stomach, knowing the season can crumble on any given play?  Will Manning see the 2nd half at all for the rest of the year?

530960[/snapback]

So what you're saying is Don Shula has put a bounty on Manning's head, to be paid to any Chargers, Seahawks or Cards player that knocks Peyton out for the remainder of the season, thus preserving the record. Has that man no shame? Damn you Don Shula. Damn you.

Vick's style of play makes injury inevitable.

comparing Vick to Manning is apples and oranges

530983[/snapback]

Bro, obviously I know their styles are drasticaly different. However, Vick got hurt last night on a roughing the passer call. It was a late hit as he tried to pass. It was late, but it wasn't a hit you've never seen before, and it wasn't because Vick was scrambling for the 1st down marker on 3rd & 13. Manning could easily take the shot that hurt Vick last night.

They're not going to rest their starters for a month going into the playoffs.  Not even if they weren't chasing history.

531016[/snapback]

But if they're up 14-13 at halftime, with the starters having played the whole 1st half, do they take some or all of them out?