Van Miller Interviewed on Denver Radio

BenchBledsoe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll get acclimated. Im not ready to scrap heap him yet.

530867[/snapback]

of course - he can certainly get better, and i honestly think that he has one of the best arms in the league. favre is the only player i can think of that throws with that velocity and crispness. he's certainly got a world of physical talent.

i watched the ne game and while he was hurried all game long, there were a lot of throws where he wasn't and he was simply off target. you could say that it's the weather, but if you're going to be a buffalo qb, you've gotta be able to make throws in that weather. it's the defining feature of a quality buffalo qb.

530858[/snapback]

Let's be plain about this and say that not having Eric Moulds on the field, even if he's not JP's #1 target, hurt. He takes guys away from Evans and that would have made, IMO, a HUGE difference. He might have been that guy that made JP just a little more comfortable in the new situation. The attempt to install discipline backfired and made our offense more undisciplined.

BTW, Chicago's young (winning) QB faltered in the bad weather against a good team the other day, too. Got to give these guys a chance.

of course - he can certainly get better, and i honestly think that he has one of the best arms in the league. favre is the only player i can think of that throws with that velocity and crispness.  he's certainly got a world of physical talent.

530879[/snapback]

Also, give this kid some time and his fakes are going to impress.

the accuracy issue is a real problem, and i'm concerned about it.

530843[/snapback]

I'm not even remotely close to running JP out of town... not by a long shot...There are SO many things I like about the Kid...

That being said I agree 100%... and I have to say this has been weighing on me quite a bit concerning JP...And I'm not talking about the rushed throws, or the scrambling throws...I'm talking about all the 3 or 5 step drop Passes thrown high, low, left, right, heck even quite a few of JP's completetions have been tough catches...So far this year it seems his touch and accuracy on the deep passes has surpassed the quick drop back stuff...

Accuracy on the short Passes, putting the ball in a spot where the WR can Catch and Run, is so important in the NFL because it allows you to take full advantage of what the D is giving...There is a reason JP has completed less than 50% of his Passes and it actually has little to do with the O-Line...It's all the quick 3 and 5 step drop Passes...the quick outs, hooks, etc. that JP does not put on the money...And it is a concern...

Go back and look at the tape if you don't believe it...I would estimate that JP's completion % would be at least 55-57% if he simply improved his accuracy in the short quick Passing Game... :doh:

He'll get acclimated. Im not ready to scrap heap him yet.

530867[/snapback]

Van's premise was, however, no matter how acclimated JP gets, his accuracy won't really improve. Accuracy here being equated to something like speed: You either naturally have it or you don't, and you can't coach it.

I'm not even remotely close to running JP out of town... not by a long shot...There are SO many things I like about the Kid...

That being said I agree 100%... and I have to say this has been weighing on me quite a bit concerning JP...And I'm not talking about the rushed throws, or the scrambling throws...I'm talking about all the 3 or 5 step drop Passes thrown high, low, left, right, heck even quite a few of JP's completetions have been tough catches...So far this year it seems his touch and accuracy on the deep passes has surpassed the quick drop back stuff...

Accuracy on the short Passes, putting the ball in a spot where the WR can Catch and Run, is so important in the NFL because it allows you to take full advantage of what the D is giving...There is a reason JP has completed less than 50% of his Passes and it actually has little to do with the O-Line...It's all the quick 3 and 5 step drop Passes...the quick outs, hooks, etc. that JP does not put on the money...And it is a concern...

Go back and look at the tape if you don't believe it...I would estimate that JP's completion % would be at least 55-57% if he simply improved his accuracy in the short quick Passing Game... :doh:

530889[/snapback]

you're absolutely right. jp still gets the benefit of the doubt because of the garbage line and his own inexperience, but i am concerned about his accucracy as well. i just keep telling myself how bad eli looked alst year...

the accuracy issue is a real problem, and i'm concerned about it.

530843[/snapback]

I ask myself if the weather was a factor, and if JP really does have accuracy issues, and I have to say yes and no...

Carson Palmer and Eli Manning made some HORRIBLE throws their first year, and I think JP needs some slack.

But I think there could be a lot to the accuracy issue, because I go back to the other QB playing in that game, and the over the shoulder pass to Faulk is a throw that I have NEVER seen JP make. Bouncing the ball at the feet of receivers is usually about retreating to make the throw and not having the time to step into it. That will come with improved offensive line play. I think he is going to be fine but he may never have Joe Montana accuracy...

Yes, the UCLA game was windy, and Leinart was very average that day. That is certainly a valid point. Keith Jackson was really pushing that point that day. Also, we all know that LA wind in Nov/Dec. isn't quite the same as Buffalo's.

530865[/snapback]

It was only blowing about 10-15 mph but it was steady.His passes were floating allover the place and the last thing we need is qb, I sure would like to see toledo qb grabowski late in the draft to come in and back up jp, cold weather qb and a buffalo kind of guy!!! Nov/Dec wind in NE, NY Clev. Pitts. Balt. KC Tenn Seattle and everyother outdoor stadium I didn't mention!! Trade the pick for leinart to some other suckers with more cap room and get more picks or some lineman...

USC to Buffalo equals crybaby!!

The Bills should draft Leinart if they want to continue chasing their tail and not addressing the real problems with the team. JP can be a very good QB in this league. He throws a good-looking deep ball, and seems to know where to put it for Evans to go get it. I agree, some of his underneath throws were short and disgusting. But take into account that:

1) He was playing his first game ever against the defending champs (disregard last year's Sunday nighter)

2) He's facing master defensive schemer Bill Belichick, who gameplanned specifically for Willis and JP

3) He's playing his first game in the snow ever

4) The best receiver on his team, who kills the Patriots, was not playing

5) He was blitzed constantly, but even four man rushes were getting penetration

6) His running backs piled up about 12 yards for him. All game.

To criticize the accuracy of a first-year QB after all of these things were against him seems to be jumping the gun. Matt Leinart would have done better?? Maybe, but I doubt the score would have looked much different. Van suggesting that accuracy is something you're born with is garbage. If you are on the run and getting slammed to the turf after every throw, I don't think you are going to be confident stepping in there and whipping passes on the money everytime. Granted, he had his share of uglies even when he did have time, but he still may have rushed those. Van's a quack.

Van's premise was, however, no matter how acclimated JP gets, his accuracy won't really improve. Accuracy here being equated to something like speed: You either naturally have it or you don't, and you can't coach it.

530893[/snapback]

So Wchye likes and praises JP but a career radio guy can make that call and it's accepted without question. :doh:

530893[/snapback]

Well, you'd think Van would know better than that as he's seen plenty of football...because that' is just FLAT OUT WRONG. JP's accuracy has already improved from the beginning of the season. Eli Manning couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last year. Maybe the interviewer should have asked Chevy Van about that.

I'm sure Leinhart will excel in Bflo. playing behind this line. Remember folks, he barely gets his jersey dirty. Look at what Drew Bledsoe is doing in Dallas! My god people, give a QB a decent line, a chance to throw and it will work wonders. JP will be a good QB in this league. Give him some time and an offensive line. I'm not ready to press the PANIC BUTTON yet.

I ask myself if the weather was a factor, and if JP really does have accuracy issues, and I have to say yes and no...

Carson Palmer and Eli Manning made some HORRIBLE throws their first year, and I think JP needs some slack.

But I think there could be a lot to the accuracy issue, because I go back to the other QB playing in that game, and the over the shoulder pass to Faulk is a throw that I have NEVER seen JP make.  Bouncing the ball at the feet of receivers is usually about retreating to make the throw and not having the time to step into it.  That will come with improved offensive line play.  I think he is going to be fine but he may never have Joe Montana accuracy...

530902[/snapback]

I'm not that worried about JP having a bad day in his first windy wintry game. In Kelly's second season, he played the Pats at home in December with a chance to hold a share of the AFC East lead. The weather was very bad and so was Jimbo. He seemed to play better in bad weather after that one. I'm not saying JP will turn into Jim, but I expect him to be a good quarterback and expect that he will learn how to play in bad weather.

Well, you'd think Van would know better than that as he's seen plenty of football...because that' is just FLAT OUT WRONG.  JP's accuracy has already improved from the beginning of the season.  Eli Manning couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last year.  Maybe the interviewer should have asked Chevy Van about that.

530916[/snapback]

jp was 10-27 the other day, and manning is having major accuracy issues this year in ny. the times had an article about it the other day saying that it greatly concerned the coaching staff (despite the 9-4 record). there's a reason that so many of their wins are nail biters ...

I'm not that worried about JP having a bad day in his first windy wintry game.  In Kelly's second season, he played the Pats at home in December with a chance to hold a share of the AFC East lead.  The weather was very bad and so was Jimbo.  He seemed to play better in bad weather after that one.  I'm not saying JP will turn into Jim, but I expect him to be a good quarterback and expect that he will learn how to play in bad weather.

530921[/snapback]

jimbo had the excuse of being woefully hungover, as i recall ...

jp was 10-27 the other day, and manning is having major accuracy issues this year in ny. the times had an article about it the other day saying that it greatly concerned the coaching staff (despite the 9-4 record). there's a reason that so many of their wins are nail biters ...

530926[/snapback]

This may come as a surprise to many, but believe it or not, JP has looked better than Eli in many outings this year.

This may come as a surprise to many, but believe it or not, JP has looked better than Eli in many outings this year.

530934[/snapback]

Very true and the giants have an actual game breaking threat at running back unlike the bills . Eli threw one really bad pick in ot and he has posted some pathetic qb ratings for over a month now.....