Former Nebraska Star QB Turner Gill

Mark VI

According to todays Buff News. He and Michigan OL Coach Andy Moeller ( son of former Mich. Coach Gary Moeller) were interviewed before. Now Gill is coming to the Amherst campus for 2 days of interviews with the UB AD and the school president.

Gill is currently the director of player development for the Green Bay Packers. He spent the previous 13 seasons coaching at Nebraska during the Tom Osborne era and was named asst. head coach under Frank Solich. He supposedly is an excellent recruiter.

Like UB has anything to lose by hiring the guy. Recruiting competitive talent has been their biggest problem.

For the kiddies who can't remember him, Gill was an quick option QB for Nebraska, back in the early 1980's. They were 28-2 with him starting, 20-0 in Conference play. He then played 2 years in the CFL before going into coaching full time.

You could be right. The right guy, especially if he can recruit well, can change the fortunes of a team. I'm not saying they'll be the next USC or anything like that, but maybe w/ a guy who can recruit and is a good coach in terms of preparing his players and in devising schemes, they might be a team that can compete to the point that they aren't a laughingstock.

Would love to see it, though I doubt UB can pay him enough. The only way he would come is if he had incentives in his contract for making it to the MAC Championship game.

On a side note, should UB's basketball team continue its run, there might be more money in the bank to pay a HC for football.

Would love to see it, though I doubt UB can pay him enough.  The only way he would come is if he had incentives in his contract for making it to the MAC Championship game.

On a side note, should UB's basketball team continue its run, there might be more money in the bank to pay a HC for football.

530690[/snapback]

He was a finalist for the HC job at New Mexico St. and Sam Houston last season. I doubt those jobs pay any higher than UB.

If he's visiting, a ballpark figure has already been discussed in the first interview last month.

Hey if Gill wants a foot in the door to big time D-1A coaching this could be his chance. No way he would come to UB for a 2nd interview if he wasn't interested. Hiring Gill, would get UB football on the map and he'd get alot of play nationally because he is a fairly big name and a minority coach. That would be awesome.