McGahee - Will He Still Be Here In 2 Years ?

Mark VI

#21 A Long Term Player For The Bills ?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. #21 A Long Term Player For The Bills ?

• Yes
    • No

His play can be debated ad nauseum but I think he'd rather be somewhere else within the next year. Jacksonville perhaps ?  I wouldn't be surprised if he had Rosenhaus pull a stunt on his behalf this spring, trying to force something.

530634[/snapback]

he hasn't proved enough to warrant the contract he would like. probably he'll play one more year and try and have a break out season, and go to the highest bidder. could very well be our franchise tag at the end of his contract.

It doesnt really matter what rb we have. You can only run if your oline blocks. With that said I chose no. Not because Mcgahee isn't a good rb, he is imo a top 10 back. However I don't really have much faith in the front office to bring in the players needed to fix the oline. So I have to go with no.

He'll be gone. Running backs are easy to find.

530636[/snapback]

of course they are, but quality offensive linemen are not. Unless you think it doesn't matter what oline you have and a good rb will work with what he has, and running behind guys like Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson doesn't make much of a difference for shaun alexander, or willie roaf and brian waters haven't mattered to holmes and larry johnson. The better your oline the better your rb. Any guy can run the ball, the real difference in disparity between good and average rb's is using your good linemen to break off runs effectivly.

of course they are, but quality offensive linemen are not.  Unless you think it doesn't matter what oline you have and a good rb will work with what he has, and running behind guys like Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson doesn't make much of a difference for shaun alexander, or willie roaf and brian waters haven't mattered to holmes and larry johnson.  The better your oline the better your rb.  Any guy can run the ball, the real difference in disparity between good and average rb's is using your good linemen to break off runs effectivly.

530638[/snapback]

The question was whether WM would be here. Anyone not living on a mountain in Tibet knows we need a line. The smoke and mirrors aren't working anymore. I'm still of the firm belief that JP was drafted BECAUSE he never played behind a decent line.

But, back to the subject at hand. WM is either going to demand huge money - because of the very problems described, and/or he's going to go somewhere where he (and his agent) can put up his numbers. 5 years in Buffalo, in it's current state and WM is going to be a trivia question, and no one will shell out the money for him later.

I am thinking that no, he will not. This should not be construed as that I WANT him out of Buffalo. It is simply my opinion that he is all gut gone in this time frame.

Let's face it, every time he is slow getting up, all of us fear a season (or career) ending knee injury.

I think that WM borders on greatness. My feelings about Henry were more than well doccumented, but the fact remains that the Bills started winning in 04 just as soon as MaGahee took the field.

That said, injuries aside, he will have his highest value in the next 2 years. I am guessing that he could fetch a middle first round pick despite his history of serious injuries. Under the best conditions, RBs are known to have short shelf lives.

I know that we say it almost every year, but I am thining that this offseason will be one of the most interesting/exciting of all time for Bills fans.

I am thinking that no, he will not. This should not be construed as that I WANT him out of Buffalo. It is simply my opinion that he is all gut gone in this time frame.

Let's face it, every time he is slow getting up, all of us fear a season (or career) ending knee injury.

I think that WM borders on greatness. My feelings about Henry were more than well doccumented, but the fact remains that the Bills started winning in 04 just as soon as MaGahee took the field.

That said, injuries aside, he will have his highest value in the next 2 years. I am guessing that he could fetch a middle first round pick despite his history of serious injuries. Under the best conditions, RBs are known to have short shelf lives.

I know that we say it almost every year, but I am thining that this offseason will be one of the most interesting/exciting of all time for Bills fans.

530646[/snapback]

I completely agree with this entire post.

I completely agree with this entire post.

530655[/snapback]

Mark, I wish that someone had the brains and internet savy (hint :doh: ) to do a small study about teams rebuilding through having a large number of extra first day draft picks.

3 teams come to mind....the patsies, cowboys and the jests.

1) The Patsies are the team about which I have the least recollection, but they DID come up with guys like Seymour, Wilfork, and guys for their OL. I seem to also recall some DBs when they had a ton of picks.

2) The jests had the first selection of a draft. They traded it to the Rams and wound up with Abraham and Ellis (the rams of course took Pace). As I recall, they got another first round pick for Keyshawn. Results? They got to the AFC Championship game and had a few other playoff appearances.

3) Everybody remembers when Dallas cashed in on the "Hershel Walker Deal." Their results are well known.

The Bills already have an extra early 3rd, and there is a chance that they will gain more for Clements, and perhaps even Willis. Again, I am not saying that I WANT to see these 2 very good players gone.

I am only pointing out that the Bills MIGHT wind up in a position in which they are loaded, and I mean all stacked up on draft day, perhaps even for 2 years.

As I said, this will be a he!! of an offseason.

530646[/snapback]

I voted no. If we could get a mid-first for him, great, but flip it around, Mark VI. Would you give up a mid-first for him this off-season? I think the crowning achievement of the Donahoe era gets a mid-second at this point.

1) The Patsies are the team about which I have the least recollection, but the DID come up with guys like Seymour, Wilfork, and guys for their OL. I seem to also recall some DBs when they had a ton of picks.

2) The jests had the first selection of a draft. They traded it to the Rams and wound up with Abraham and Ellis (the rams of course took Pace). As I recall, they got another first round pick for Keyshawn. Results? They got to the AFC Championship game and had a few other playoff appearances.

530679[/snapback]

I don't know about the Pats, but Wilfork was drafted after they were already good. The Jets got Ellis and Abraham in a draft where they had four #1s after trading Keyshawn to Tampa. That draft where they traded down with St. Louis was when they got Farrior. Also, when the Jets drafted Abraham, etc, they were already good coming off the Parcells years.

I think the crowning achievement of the Donahoe era gets a mid-second at this point.

530706[/snapback]

I think you're right. Rumor had it that both E. James and S. Alexander were drawing only 2nd round picks in trade talk this past year, due to perceived high contract demands.

And don't forget a likely 3rd for Pat Williams.

530707[/snapback]

The Compensation process is always a crapshoot and has never been kind to Buffalo. I think Jennings ( LT, 3rd round pick) would help us aquire a pick more than Williams( Undrafted Free Agent). Neither were All-Pro's. I just can't plan on that but hope for the best.

With the Henry trade, we already have two 3rd round picks. Trading down in Round 1 could garner us another 3rd rounder.