Do you still believe DB can lead us to the SB?

LabattBlue

If after watching yesterdays game you still think DB can lead this team to a SB, please respond to this thread, so I can add you to my ignore list and feel free to add me to yours. He cannot be fixed, he is the same QB we saw all of last year. I give TD credit for making the trade and giving it a shot. It did not work out, let's move on. The only thing that pisses me off...I wanted to cut DB outright during the off-season with no cap hit. Don't ask who we could have brought in. After yesterdays performance, just about anybody would be acceptable.

Instead, now we are saddled with his cap dollars.

I reiterate.....HE CANNOT BE FIXED!!!!!!!!!!

If after watching yesterdays game you still think DB can lead this team to a SB, please respond to this thread, so I can add you to my ignore list and feel free to add me to yours.  He cannot be fixed, he is the same QB we saw all of last year.  I give TD credit for making the trade and giving it  a shot.  It did not work out, let's move on.  The only thing that pisses me off...I wanted to cut DB outright during the off-season with no cap hit.  Don't ask who we could have brought in.  After yesterdays performance, just about anybody would be acceptable. 

37955[/snapback]

I fault TD for the trade, period. He didn't do due diligence on the state of Bledsoe's game.

If after watching yesterdays game you still think DB can lead this team to a SB, please respond to this thread, so I can add you to my ignore list and feel free to add me to yours.  He cannot be fixed, he is the same QB we saw all of last year.  I give TD credit for making the trade and giving it  a shot.  It did not work out, let's move on.  The only thing that pisses me off...I wanted to cut DB outright during the off-season with no cap hit.  Don't ask who we could have brought in.  After yesterdays performance, just about anybody would be acceptable. 

37955[/snapback]

In reference to the question, yes I think he can.................... as a backup!!!

I am not the biggest DB fan in the world but he still is better than some of the quarterbacks out there. Granted, he looked like stevestojan yesterday but that was a total team loss. Dumb penalties, lack of any type of threat on the ground, lack of spreading out the defense when EVERYONE knew they were going to blitz!! Lack of pass protection, lack of blocking and adjusting, lack of creating turnovers, lack of pressure on Gannon when it was necessary on 3rd and long and a lack of using the fastest guy on the team (until it was to late).

37955[/snapback]

the trade was a good move at the time.

The real crime was extending Drew's contract and paying him $8.75 mil for 2004, after experiencing his ineptness firsthand. On top of that, TD then used 3 draft picks to acquire another QB.

Why spend all that money on a short term, at best, answer at QB?

That money should have gone to improving the OL.

It's not Drew's fault. All he needs to be successful are 5 Pro Bowl linemen who give him at least 20 seconds to throw.

37985[/snapback]

since Drew has such a big arm, maybe they should let him stand 15 yards behind the line to give him more time. It seemed to work for Moorman. :D

I fault TD for the trade, period.  He didn't do due diligence on the state of Bledsoe's game.

37965[/snapback]

I don't think it makes football sense to fault TD for the trade, as it:

1. Provided a clear upgrade over Rob Johnson when the deal was done as I think Bledsoe earned his Bowl nod for the 2002 season. He was by far the cheapest way for the Bills to get a QB who had started and won in the NFL (like it or not he was the QB in the majority of a must-win game for the Pats in 2001).

2. The deal played a major role in costing the hated Patriots a playoff appearance in the 2002 sandwiched in beteeen their SB runs in the 2001 and 2003 seasons. It certainly was painful to watch Belicheck undress Drew in the two games we played against the Pats in 2002, but overall, a trade which helped bring us from 3-13 to 8-8 and saw the Pats drop from SB winner to sitting at home during the playoffs because the acceleration of the Bledsoe cap hit took away their ability to sign players saw the Bills profit from this deal in 2002 while the Pats paid bigtime for the foolish contract they gave to Bledsoe.

3. Clearly was a big part of reviving excitement about football in this town after we went 3-13 in cap hel while rebuilding from the Butler days.

on the other hand, I think TD can clearly be faulted for not cutting his and the team's losses by saying adios to Bledsoe (with no cap liability) after he sucked last season.

Keeping Bledsoe made sense to the outside observer after he:

1. Agreed to a cap friendly contract which allows him to be cut after this season after July 1st of next year with a doable cap hit.

2. Pursued an offensive strategy with MM/Clements designed to repeat the Parcells/Belicheck job of getting Bledsoe to get rid of it quickly and to rely on the run game as our primary means of winning.

3. Most pundits felt that Bledsoe had something left.

However, the pundits seem to be wrong. Bledsoe does not appear to have the football sense to constnatly play a winning style game which means not relying on his powerful arm. Even worse, the bringing in of JMac (a good move since Vinky and Ruel were clearly not remotely up to snuff) does not appear to be enough to improve the OL with Williams going in the wrong direction, with Teague having difficulty multi-tasking and with injuries which happen.

I think the Bledsoe move was the right move at the time unless you know something we don't about AVP and RJ but he is not capable of winning like he did early in his career under Parcells or late in his career under BB/Weis without a lof of things the Bills do not have in place.

*bump*

I didn't want this to fall off page 1. I'm positive that there must be some people who still think DB can get us to the SB? Remember....you were the people in the off-season who constantly said that MM, TC & SW were going to "fix" DB. I guess all of a sudden it's not very trendy to be on the DB bandwagon???