Jim Fassel?

X. Benedict

A sportswriter I know (he doesn't visit this site) suggested to me that he is considering writing a piece on why the Bills should hire Jim Fassel as head coach. Any thoughts?

My initial reaction was why? Any thoughts?

530027[/snapback]

My first reaction is "Why Not?"

For our next coach, I just hope he's experienced. No more of the "hottest" coordinators.

Don't worry, most here would never have touched Belichick with a ten foot pole a few years ago. He was a loser.

530083[/snapback]

Ding!

And Belichick never coached a SB team. Fassel has.

But my pick would be Brian Billick if, by some stroke of luck, he became available and was willing.

Guest BackInDaDay
At least he has a Super Bowl on his resume.  I'm sure he could get us to a decent record, who knows, maybe even the playoffs.

530103[/snapback]

I don't know what happened in Tampa Bay, but Sam didn't fare too well down there after Cincy. I like him, but if he's been mentoring Mularkey, what's gained?

A sportswriter I know (he doesn't visit this site) suggested to me that he is considering writing a piece on why the Bills should hire Jim Fassel as head coach. Any thoughts?

530027[/snapback]

There are worse candidates than Fassel...That being said, I'll pass... :doh:

Coaches I wouldn't be happy with....

1. Jim Fassel

2. Pete Carroll

3. Dom Capers

4. Marv Levy (He's better off the way he left)

5. Gary Kubiak (Shanahan calls the plays, so what does Kubiak do?)

6. Steve Mariucci (Inherited leftovers in San Fran, but a likeable guy)

What happens if Herman Edwards gets canned in New York...I'd like him here at least as DC...our defense has been just about the most overrated thing on the planet the past several years.

Brian Billick is a clown of a HC he hasn't done ANYTHING with the Ravens offense in his entire tenure there. He had to have one of the 3 best defenses of all time to win the SB because his offense was (and is) putrid

Our failing is as much in our choice of coordinators as much as it is HC. NFL HC is an administrrator, the coordinators do most of the grunt work and gameplanning. As I said earlier, I'm not enamored with Gray's defensive planning (I picture a special ed kid bangind his head off the wall saying blitz every ten seconds) and our OCs have been trash (Pendry, Sheppard, Gilbride, Clements). Apparently our best offensive coach left and is now the HC at Tulsa (and going to a bowl game BTW), Steve Kragthorpe who was our QB coach and noone cared when he left.

Clements needs to be gone this year, Mularkey took away his role when he started calling the plays. I say elevate Wyche if he's interested. I don't know if Sam is interested in the job do to his health concerns etc. but I'd LOVE to have him calling plays, he really IS one of the offensive gurus of our time. His basic philosophy matches Mularkey's and I have confidence in Sam's ability to gameplan as well as adjust and change on the fly. We haven't been able to do that successfully since Ted Marchibroda left town.

Unfortunately I think Gray will be back unless a plum college job comes calling (I'd say Mack Brown is safe at Texas...whaddya think). He needs to show that he isn't a one trick pony with that G Williams 46 blitz to death and pray defense that always falls apart just when you need it. I don't want to hear about injuries and the d-line. look at New England, they have SIX DBs on IR, and lost a ton more off that defense and they are STILL better than we are because of scheme and execution, of which we have neither. Herman Edwards can coach my defense any day, he's a good DC, bad HC because he's a terrible administrator (see his chronic clock issues). I hope the Jets panic and can him.

530027[/snapback]

I do not care who it is as long as they have had some experience. We can not keep hiring these never have coached before foosl that lose their minds once they get the damn job!

TD really scred up when he passed over Marvin Lewis, John Fox, Charlie Weiss, all have been 5000% better than the two idiots he has hired. My opinion of MM had drop 100% in the past two week and now I am on the fire TD and MM bandwagon.

Can't we steal Herm Edwards away from the Jets? That guy is my favorite because I do not feel like he BS you! Though I'd settle for anyone right now that was hired by double talking TD.

Didn't we go through this a few years ago? It's deja vu all over again.

The soon to be mentioned in numerous posts list of Head Coaching Candidates for the 2006 Buffalo Bills:

Marv Levy

Mike Ditka

Jim Haslett

Jim Fassel

Gregg Williams

Wade Phillips

Jimmy Johnson

Dick Butkus

Steve Mariucci

John Elway

Jim Kelly

Frank Reich

Steve Tasker

Charlie Weis

Pete Carroll

Lou Holtz

Lou Saban

Vince Lombardi

Anyone would be better than Mike Mularkey at this point.