Iraq Elections in Detroit...

Polling places...

Point of the post is this line:

Anyone who is 18 or older and born in Iraq is eligible to vote as are the children of anyone born in Iraq, AlNajjar said.

So, what could be and are US citizens are allowed to vote into another nations parlimentary process? I can understand a dual citizenship, but is there a precedent anywhere for a US citizen to able to directly vote and affect the political process of another country?

Polling places...

So, what could and are US citizens are allowed to vote into another nations parlimentary process? I can understand a dual citizenship, but is there a precedent anywhere for a US citizen to able to directly vote and affect the political process of another country?

529939[/snapback]

I guess you get to vote if you are an honest to goodness Iraqi and if you are a "potential Iraqi". :doh:

Polling places...

So, what could be and are US citizens are allowed to vote into another nations parlimentary process? I can understand a dual citizenship, but is there a precedent anywhere for a US citizen to able to directly vote and affect the political process of another country?

529939[/snapback]

Yes. Lots of people hold dual citizenship roles. In most countries to include Israel.

Yes.  Lots of people hold dual citizenship roles.  In most countries to include Israel.

529955[/snapback]

I was referring to those who are directly US citizens, such as Children born to Iraqis. I happen to know one of voting age, and she holds no Iraqi citizenship.

I was referring to those who are directly US citizens, such as Children born to Iraqis. I happen to know one of voting age, and she holds no Iraqi citizenship.

529964[/snapback]

If you are born to a foreign national you do not have to declare citizenship until you turn 18. While the us doesn't recognize dual citizenship most other countries do, and it is not uncommon for people to do so. Hence the reason people can do what they are doing and voting in foreign elections, even though they were "born" US citizens.

If you are born to a foreign national you do not have to declare citizenship until you turn 18.  While the us doesn't recognize dual citizenship most other countries do, and it is not uncommon for people to do so.  Hence the reason people can do what they are doing and voting in foreign elections, even though they were "born" US citizens.

529971[/snapback]

And you have to be 18 to vote, right? So, I'm referring to someone who holds US only citizenship, and although of Iraqi descent, holds no legal connection to Iraq. I'm sure there has to be more than one.

Or, are you trying to say a person in this situation is probably being recognized by Iraq as an Iraqi regardless? In other words, that Iraqi voting laws are the ones allowing a declared citizen of another nation to vote as an Iraqi?

And you have to be 18 to vote, right? So, I'm referring to someone who holds US only citizenship, and although of Iraqi descent, holds no legal connection to Iraq. I'm sure there has to be more than one.

Or, are you trying to say a person in this situation is probably being recognized by Iraq as an Iraqi regardless? In other words, that Iraqi voting laws are the ones allowing a declared citizen of another nation to vote as an Iraqi?

529985[/snapback]

Yes, exactly. But Iraq isn't the only one who does that. I would bet most countries allow "declared" citizens of other countries to vote in their elections.

Perhaps they're adopting the Olympic athlete model for which country you represent. A girl who went to my high school back in the day played for Greece, as she had one grandparent who hailed from that country.

Pretty laissez-faire election rules if you ask me, but I didn't write the constitution, and thankfully I don't have to live in that sh---smelling country.

Polling places...

529939[/snapback]

This may have been changed but the law used to be that any child born of an Iraqi father was considered an Iraqi citizen, regardless of where the mother was from or what country the child was born in.

This may have been changed but the law used to be that any child born of an Iraqi father was considered an Iraqi citizen, regardless of where the mother was from or what country the child was born in.

530639[/snapback]

Thanks.

Probably no reason to change that, especially now.

530639[/snapback]

In the medieval times, they did a lot of things by maternal provenance. There was a very serious distrust that women would sleep with anyone and everyone. Often, things were passed down the family to a nephew born to your sister rather than what were supposedly your children --- b/c you can at least be certain that they share your blood. You can be sure of who the mother of a child is b/c her part was 9 months; you can't be sure of who the father was b/c his part was about 10 minutes. Maybe. :doh:

I suspect such loosey-goosey voting rules might result in a great number of "Iraqi" free election votes coming over there from North America.  Its a good thin the Iraqis (from Iraq that is) trust us enough to know we wouldn't stuff the ballot box.

529949[/snapback]

You just know the Diebold system is going to steal the election. :doh: