The bottom line

30dive

is that ourline is at the bottom of everything. Yes get a new GM hell even get a new head coach, but do not even think about picking up another skill player in the draft. We need big tough EXPERIENCED o-linemen to work for coach McNally (sp?). We weill NEVER win a championship without a line to protect what is a stable of some pretty good skill players.

is that ourline is at the bottom of everything.  Yes get a new GM hell even get a new head coach, but do not even think about picking up another skill player in the draft.  We need big tough EXPERIENCED o-linemen to work for coach McNally (sp?). We weill NEVER win a championship without a line to protect what is a stable of some pretty good skill players.

529282[/snapback]

If a team cannot even come close to competing for control of the line of scrimmage, that team will have zero chance of winning. You know -- really complicated stuff here -- not something I would expect an NFL GM to understand.

I still say go defensive tackle first in the draft, o-linemen second, third and fourth -- and in free agency.

is that ourline is at the bottom of everything.  Yes get a new GM hell even get a new head coach, but do not even think about picking up another skill player in the draft.  We need big tough EXPERIENCED o-linemen to work for coach McNally (sp?). We weill NEVER win a championship without a line to protect what is a stable of some pretty good skill players.

529282[/snapback]

Welcome to the point of view of people such as myself and Bill from NYC for the past 3 years plus. We concur w/ what you say.

I agree with your thoughst on the o-line being the root of our problems (it's only taken years for many to recognize that), but you can't draft experienced linemen in the draft. We can draft skill positions in the draft, but we really need some experienced FA help for the line.

Oh I think I have been on that wagon for as long as y'all and have posted as such. I just figured that today before we re-start the Moulds, JP and McGahee sucks threads we better look at our real problem.

We have a GM who just does not get it, he brings in one of the best O-line coaches and gives that coach nothing to work with. It's like taking a chef from Ruths Chris Steakhouse and and putting him in McDonalds, that chef might make a better hamburger but it still won't be a steak.

Works for me, I'll  go the DT 1st in the draft thing, because I want o-linemen with NFL experience.  Not draftees....Boy Mike Whale sure would have looked good in Buffalo.

529351[/snapback]

A month or so ago, a poster pointed out that the Bills have only one starting OL obtained via their draft, and that that was unusual.

I tend towards building a line via the draft, molding them into your system and philosophy (it's a debatable point that one's system and philosophy is any good, of course!).

The FA market has some gems, and IMO a bunch of cast-offs.

from the line of scrimmage back. And we don't have very much on the line of scrimmage right now. Draft and free agency had BETTER be designed to address this need first and foremost. Might mean passing on some of the top glamour names if we get a top five pick (and we seem to playing our way into a top five pick.)

this has been my mantra forever as well.

i will always go back to the Redskins of the late 80's and early 90's.

This team won 3 Super Bowls with Joe Theeezmen, Doug Williams, (who was actually the best of the three QB's) and Mark Rypien. Went to the playoffs with Jay Schreoder, Stan Humphries....etc..etc.

These guys were all Average QB's at best....yet with the best offensive line in the league they were perpetual playoff contenders.

I don't think it's necessarily the method that's the problem.  Going the free agency route has worked for numerous teams........who can evaluate talent.

529372[/snapback]

What happened to Modrak's brillance? Great talent evaluator he's turned into. Bargain basement signings must stop.

We have a GM who just does not get it, he brings in one of the best O-line coaches and gives that coach nothing to work with. It's like taking a chef from Ruths Chris Steakhouse and and putting him in McDonalds, that chef might make a better hamburger but it still won't be a steak.

529379[/snapback]

He's just following Charlie Casserley's example in Houston of leaving people out to dry (David Carr; nice line you've ASSembled in front of him). It's worked wonders for both teams, hasn't it, considering they're the only AFC teams in the Bills' Donahoe era to not make the playoffs.

Trade that top five pick for lower round choices and/or experienced up front men.

Cincy - One would have thought your idea would work, but it certinaly has not happened here. I'm not going to say that with a new GM (read selections) it wouldn't work but we need to bring in a couple quality experienced guys with leadership on and off the field to shape guys like, for example, Peters.

Trade that top five pick for lower round choices and/or experienced up front men. 

Cincy - One would have thought your idea would work, but it certinaly has not happened here. I'm not going to say that with a new GM (read selections) it wouldn't work but we need to bring in a couple quality experienced guys with leadership on and off the field to shape guys like, for example, Peters.

529396[/snapback]

Yes, picking up a decent vet now and again is necessary. The B'gals had to do it when G Mike Goff scooted to SD, and signed PHI FA guard Bobbie Williams. Still, I prefer the draft.

I'd certainly like to see a trade-down, too. That, the pick from TEN for Travis Henry and a possible comp pick for Pat Williams should help stock a pretty bare cupboard.

With all the well-deserved talk about the OL & DL, whoever is calling the shots needs to address the safety position on day one of the draft.

529450[/snapback]

Exactly.

There's some decent talent @ the top in regards to safety, but there isn't much depth. We'll either get one of the top prospects or go fishing for another late round bargain. I sure hope it's the former and not the latter.

You know -- really complicated stuff here -- not something I would expect an NFL GM to understand.

529292[/snapback]

It is when you have a GM who is mentally more suited to run a used car operation. TD is in the wrong line of business; always has been.