Re: Drafting for need....

Want an example of why drafting for need works? Look no further than Bill Parcells this year. He needed DL, he drafted DL. And magically, the Cowpunks' defense is better. Can someone explain again why drafting for need doesn't work?

529226[/snapback]

demarcus ware and marcus spears happened to be best players available

demarcus ware may be arguable with shawn merriman going right after him, but couldn't have gone wrong either way. Spears was the best player available at 20

Want an example of why drafting for need works? Look no further than Bill Parcells this year. He needed DL, he drafted DL. And magically, the Cowpunks' defense is better. Can someone explain again why drafting for need doesn't work?

529226[/snapback]

I thought he needed a quarterback? ;)

Just kidding Joe. Drafting for need CAN work. Teams have been know to bust when going after what they THOUGHT was the best player available, so it can work either way.

TD put the cart in front of the horse, in that he was drafting smurfs and hospital patients, while turning his back on what the Bills needed. He was quite successful at mobilizing the less fanatical fans to come to RWS, but we are left with an utter disaster of a football team.

I think that you and I are once again reversing roles here. 0:)

I think that the team can turn around in 06 by cutting the likes of Adams, Moulds, Williams and B. Anderson. They can use the added cap room to make Hutchinson the highest paid OG in football if that's what it takes to bring him to Buffalo.

We will be selecting early and often on Day 1 of the draft as well. I am as sick of rebuilding as you, but we have an opportunity to change things next year.

That said, I can truly see TD grabbing another small wideout or a running back. :(

I thought he needed a quarterback?  ;)

Just kidding Joe. Drafting for need CAN work. Teams have been know to bust when going after what they THOUGHT was the best player available, so it can work either way.

TD put the cart in front of the horse, in that he was drafting smurfs and hospital patients, while turning his back on what the Bills needed. He was quite successful at mobilizing the less fanatical fans to come to RWS, but we are left with an utter disaster of a football team.

I think that you and I are once again reversing roles here.  0:)

I think that the team can turn around in 06 by cutting the likes of Adams, Moulds, Williams and B. Anderson. They can use the added cap room to make Hutchinson the highest paid OG in football if that's what it takes to bring him to Buffalo.

We will be selecting early and often on Day 1 of the draft as well. I am as sick of rebuilding as you, but we have an opportunity to change things next year.

That said, I can truly see TD grabbing another small wideout or a running back.  :(

529243[/snapback]

Teflon sure likes those midget WRs.

Remember how Troy Edwards worked as a Pitts #1?

Probably the last straw that got him fired by Steelers.

demarcus ware and marcus spears happened to be best players available

demarcus ware may be arguable with shawn merriman going right after him, but couldn't have gone wrong either way.  Spears was the best player available at 20

529235[/snapback]

DeMarcus Ware will probably wind up as one of the best players in the 05 draft, but he was initially not regarded as such.

In the months leading to the draft, he was said to be a high 1st or even an early to mid second rounder. I used to pester R.Rich about this kid with PMs and posts on the draft board because I saw him a few times on TV, and likened him to a faster (although not as strong) Bryce Paup.

Looking back, Canty was the amazing selection imo. It is SO hard to find a DE, yet he lasted until round 4. I could single out TD by stating that he passed on Canty and instead opted for Parrish and Everett, but every other GM let him go as well.

This draft and the days leading to it are gonna be great times on TSW. ;)

i think the way you draft for need is in a broad area:

we need secondary

we need pass rushers, run stuffers

we need to upgrade on these positions: blah, blah, blahblah

on D or the online your whole is greater than the sum of the parts, adding a solid guy almost always pays dividends.

new england is the best example of that. a couple guys go down on D and they suck, a coulple guys come back and they are solid of the past few weeks.

we saw how a couple guys super charged our D from 02 to 03 (spikes adams milloy, posey is meh), and how losing a couple guys destroyed our O and D (from 02 to 03, from 04 to now on D).