Does Our Team Have a Core?

JDG

As out 2005 season circles down the drain, and we begin to cast our weary eyes towards 2006, one of the most salient questions facing this team is: "Do the Buffalo Bills have the makings of an offensive core for the future?"

On paper, our offensive skill positions for 2006 look very promising: Losman, McGahee, Evans, Parrish, (Moulds - God, Willing ;-), and possibly Everett.

Unfortunately, I am becoming a bit nervous that Donahoe Bills Version 2.0 might eventually fail as miserably as Donahoe Bills Version 1.0 (Bledsoe - Henry - Moulds - Reed - Campbell). Its almost certainly too soon to tell for sure, but I think there is certainly time enough in the present for speculation - and a little bit of retrospective evaluation.

We've now had 9 games to evaluate JP Losman's performance. His performance has gone from abysmal in the first four starts (before the Holcomb intermission) to merely bad in his last five games. His career-best completion percentage is 56%. For the season, he has an abysmal 51% completion percentage. Quite simply, you are going to be punting a lot if you are only completing 50% of your passes. Against Carolina at home, he failed to lead the team to a single TD. In the Miami debacle, he has to bear a lot of responsibility for two terrible turnovers (i.e. neither was a great play by the defense) in the red zone, each of which cost us a critical 3 points. And of course today, without the supposedly disposable Eric Moulds in the lineup, Losman was cover-your-eyes bad: 10 of 27 (37%!!!!) with three interceptions! In short, we've seen JP Losman in nine games now, and we're still waiting for him to have a good game.

Meanwhile, let's talk about Willis McGahee. Quite simply, if McGahee asks for a raise this offseason, whomever is the GM should simply laugh in his face, because McGahee has been *dreadfull.* Four times this year, he has averaged less than three yards per carry (and a mere 3.1 on a fifth occasion.) He hasn't rushed for 100 yards since October. In a critical game at home against Carolina, he rushed for a cover-your-eyes bad 1.9 yards per carry for three meaningful quarters. In the debacle against Miami last week, where the Bills jumped out to a 21-0 lead and tried to take control of the game, Willis McGahee could only manage a paltry 3.0 yards per carry in his homecoming. And of course, his 8 carries for 3 yards today is almost unspeakable.

I don't want to over-react to a distraction-filled game against evil-genius Bill Belichick, but I think that the accumulation of evidence over the last two months may hint that not only may the Bills need a new defense for the long-run, our current offensive core might not be an answer for the long-run either. And *that* is an incredibly depressing thought.

JDG

oh absolutely not! this roster is comprised of a bunch of aging and and over paid underachievers combined with a bunch of young guys who will never be stars in this league. some of them might become good players, but does anyone think we have a gang of budding pro-bowlers among the group you mentioned? i don't, if for no other reason than the fact that donohow has proven over five years that he cannot build a team through the draft. so until proven otherwise, there is no reason to expect any of the "2.0" guys to be superstars.

now that spikes tore his achilles, it's official: NO ONE is untouchable on this roster. not saying you cut all 53 guys and start over, but there is not one position on the roster that the new regime should not be trying to upgrade. except punter. i like our punter.

As out 2005 season circles down the drain, and we begin to cast our weary eyes towards 2006, one of the most salient questions facing this team is: "Do the Buffalo Bills have the makings of an offensive core for the future?" 

On paper, our offensive skill positions for 2006 look very promising: Losman, McGahee, Evans, Parrish, (Moulds - God, Willing ;-), and possibly Everett.

528927[/snapback]

John.......JOHN! You are saying that our "offensive skill positions" look good, and including Roscoe (I'm a little teapot) Parrish (damn, I wish I had thought of that) and Eric "Fred Sanford" Moulds? Are you serious? :D:D:D

Now.....do we have an offensive core? It looks bleak. Our best blocker is probably Gandy and he approaches average. We have no tight end, unless Everret can roll out of the hospital bed and play. Even at that, he will be a rookie. Losman is a question mark.

Our offensive "core" consists of Evans and MaGahee, with no blocking. 0:)

The good news is that we will pick often and early in 06, and we will have cap space after dumping a few beached whales.

At least we can rest assured that 06 will be better than this. :D

This doesnt include today...but Losmans stats vs. Eli's last year

103/201 (51.2) 1159yds 7TD/5int Rating 70.1

04-05 Eli Manning

95/197 (48.2%) 6TD/9int Rating 55.4

So before you go completly jumping off the JP bridge, give the kid a chance. And if you have been watching him AT ALL, the kid has shown signs of brillance. His performance today was not THAT bad. It was poor, but he had MANY MANY dropped passes today.

If by 'core', you mean 'foundation', from which you build, then we are sorely lacking as I would consider that the line.

We have one undrafted converted TE that shows potential to develop into an excellent player. We have another T that is a phenominally gifted athletically but due to a combination of factors, is riding the pine. Other than that, we have 3 2nd tier FA pickups and what I would consider a 3rd tier, the later of which, last game outstanding is debatably our best O-linemen.

As for our skill positions, Evans seems to be a keeper. I'm hopeful that Everett has something, although w/ our current scheme, Kellen Winslow (Sr.) in his prime wouldn't contribute much. (I happen to think that Campbell is an adequate TE).

W/ a decent O-line, McGahee has the talent to be very productive.

As for Roscoe, it's too early to see what he has, but IMHO, a 160 lb WR is not the type of player you count on building an offense around. (I do think he has the potential to be a productive spot player.)

Losman seems to have the potential, but right now, he's playing like you would expect a rookie to play - generally poor. So, w/ respect to him, who knows - might be great, might suck.

While I'm not surprised that so many people have piped up defending JP Losman, I'm a bit surprised that there is so little ragging on McGahee. This guy is simply not getting it done, and if he hadn't played for the University of Miami, I think we'd all be a bit harsher on him.

JDG

While I'm not surprised that so many people have piped up defending JP Losman, I'm a bit surprised that there is so little ragging on McGahee.    This guy is simply not getting it done, and if he hadn't played for the University of Miami, I think we'd all be a bit harsher on him.

JDG

529319[/snapback]

I'd like to see what McGahee could do behind a real OL.

I'd like to see what McGahee could do behind a real OL.

529322[/snapback]

i thought the same thing up until yesterday. there are plenty of examples of great RB's being at least somewhat productive with horrible Offensive Lines in front of them. 3 yards on 8 carries with a long run for the day of "2" is dreadful.

I just don't see Willis being here long term to begin with. His agent and contract expectations will force a move. Based on long term estimates, I'm not so sure he's worth it. The Bills haven't even activated Lionel Gates this season, even though he showed promise in the pre-season.

I still see a day 1 pick of a RB over the next 2 years, fully expecting Willis to be gone.

Right now, why base future predictions on the current roster ? This off-season could mean a new GM, new Coach and Multiple new players. Late April, after the conclusion of the draft, will be our first real chance to evaluate our new team for 2006.

Right now, we're just playing out the string and hoping positive change is around the corner.

Our Run Game hit a serious wall once Mike Williams was out with nagging injuries and then eventually pulled from the lineup for a converted te who everyone is in love with for some odd reason. With Mike Williams we were much much better running the football, and I have no reason to not believe that if we get quality linemen that McGahee will be fine.

Lee Evans is no peerless price. He's 100x's better then price ever was or ever will be. While I'm not sold on him as a true #1 he's a damn good wr and I can only imagine he'll get better

JP Losman- I was not this guys biggest fans but I'm finding it hard not to like him, while he makes the mistakes expected of a 1st year starter he also does things well. I've heard he has a strong arm but it's better then I thought. I'd like to see us get some reliable check down options and an oline, but Losman seems to be headed in the right direction. If Kevin Everett turns out to be the real deal at te that we lack it'll help tremendously.

Evans and Mcgahee are good Losman still some question marks but headed in the right direction

This doesnt include today...but Losmans stats vs. Eli's last year

103/201 (51.2) 1159yds 7TD/5int  Rating 70.1

04-05 Eli Manning

95/197 (48.2%) 6TD/9int Rating 55.4

So before you go completly jumping off the JP bridge, give the kid a chance.  And if you have been watching him AT ALL, the kid has shown signs of brillance.  His performance today was not THAT bad.  It was poor, but he had MANY MANY dropped passes today.

528997[/snapback]

Good find. It is a good thing to read, especially considering three of those picks were yesterday.