speaking of guys donohoe wanted in 2001 ...

dave mcbride

I don't think his drafts have been horrible as a whole, but I do believe that the losses to our scouting department over the years has had a drastic effect on our ability to evaluate personnel, especially along the offensive and defensive lines.

528962[/snapback]

Maybe so, but there was simply no reason to draft Nicole Richie with our 1st pick of the 05 draft. As far as I'm concerned, this was non-justifiable stupidity given our glaring needs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey you heard the man.  The past repeats itself.  We've gotta be patient everybody.

:D

528971[/snapback]

Oh.

Well then, if someone tells us in which year of the Donahoe plan we'll contend (Year 6? 9?? 38???), we all can stop agonizing over this team.

Maybe so, but there was simply no reason to draft Nicole Richie with our 1st pick of the 05 draft. As far as I'm concerned, this was non-justifiable stupidity given our glaring needs.

528973[/snapback]

What glaring needs? We were coming off a 9-7 season. We nearly made the playoffs. We were just fine, William.

they were better than what he's done here, but still very underwhelming.

Underwhelming?

You can't find 3 teams that had a better drafting record than Pittsburgh from about '86-'99.

Donahoe was head of scouting/GM from about '86 to about '99. During that time there was only a single year when he got to pick higher than #10. In chronological order, here's a list of players he picked up:

Brent Jones

Merril Hoge

Gregg Lloyd

Hardy Nickerson

Rod Woodson

John Jackson

Dermonnti Dawson

Carnell Lake

Eric Green

Barry Foster

Justin Strelczyk

Leon Searcy

Levon Kirkland

Joel Steed

Darren Perry

Jeff Zgonina

Chad Brown

Brentson Buckner

Lethon Flowers

Brendan Stai

Earl Holmes

Orpheus Roye

Alan Faneca

Hines Ward

Deshea Townsend

Kris Brown

Joey Porter

and Bettis was a draft day trade.

I've asked this question a dozen times over the last 4-5 years and still nobody has been able to find a single team that produced the same number of HOF'ers, All-Pros and damned good players over that stretch.

Underwhelming?

You can't find 3 teams that had a better drafting record than Pittsburgh from about '86-'99.

Donahoe was head of scouting/GM from about '86 to about '99. During that time there was only a single year when he got to pick higher than #10. In chronological order, here's a list of players he picked up:

Brent Jones

Merril Hoge

Gregg Lloyd

Hardy Nickerson

Rod Woodson

John Jackson

Dermonnti Dawson

Carnell Lake

Eric Green

Barry Foster

Justin Strelczyk

Leon Searcy

Levon Kirkland

Joel Steed

Darren Perry

Jeff Zgonina

Chad Brown

Brentson Buckner

Lethon Flowers

Brendan Stai

Earl Holmes

Orpheus Roye

Alan Faneca

Hines Ward

Deshea Townsend

Kris Brown

Joey Porter

I've asked this question a dozen times over the last 4-5 years and still nobody has been able to find a single team that produced the same number of HOF'ers, All-Pros and damned good players over that stretch.

529009[/snapback]

Bottom line: It isn't happening here.

Underwhelming?

Brent Jones

Merril Hoge

Gregg Lloyd

Hardy Nickerson

Rod Woodson

John Jackson

Dermonnti Dawson

Carnell Lake

Eric Green

Barry Foster

Justin Strelczyk

Leon Searcy

Levon Kirkland

Joel Steed

Darren Perry

Jeff Zgonina

Chad Brown

Brentson Buckner

Lethon Flowers

Brendan Stai

Earl Holmes

Orpheus Roye

Alan Faneca

Hines Ward

Deshea Townsend

Kris Brown

Joey Porter

529009[/snapback]

And this means WHAT, exactly, with regard to his job managing the Bills?

zero.

Underwhelming?

Brent Jones

Merril Hoge

Gregg Lloyd

Hardy Nickerson

Rod Woodson

John Jackson

Dermonnti Dawson

Carnell Lake

Eric Green

Barry Foster

Justin Strelczyk

Leon Searcy

Levon Kirkland

Joel Steed

Darren Perry

Jeff Zgonina

Chad Brown

Brentson Buckner

Lethon Flowers

Brendan Stai

Earl Holmes

Orpheus Roye

Alan Faneca

Hines Ward

Deshea Townsend

Kris Brown

Joey Porter

529009[/snapback]

simon - his one big flaw to me over the years has been his inability to solidify the qb position. it's the most important position on the team, and the best one he's ever nabbed is neil o'donnell. and he chased him out of town after the 95 season. the point is that a guy like ron wolf can strike out on a lot of picks, but landing favre (who he traded for) makes up for just about everything. and of course, he didn't strike out on everything. polian digging in his heels and making sure that kelly came to buffalo was the key to their success; without kelly, they would have been an ordinary team at best.

Part of my offseason plan is to get Dom Capers in here for an interview for the hopefully soon to be open D-Coordinator job. Donahoe has already hired him once with good results and may be willing to do it again. We'll probably have to make some personell changes but with our lack of players at DT, maybe a switch to a 3-4 isn't such a bad idea.

Cya

I like the idea of Capers at defensive coordinator. I don't like the idea of keeping Donahoe.

Part of my offseason plan is to get Dom Capers in here for an interview for the hopefully soon to be open D-Coordinator job. Donahoe has already hired him once with good results and may be willing to do it again. We'll probably have to make some personell changes but with our lack of players at DT, maybe a switch to a 3-4 isn't such a bad idea.

Cya

528867[/snapback]

I like the 3-4 but it still means a new DT. Sam will NOT be happy as a NT.

in case you're not aware, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that sam adams will be playing for the bills next year. he's also having a close-your-eyes awful season this year.

529493[/snapback]

So who do you like as another DT? What we'd need in the 3-4 is another Pat Williams. Tim Anderson, Bannan, Sape, also Edwards -- one or two (three?) of those guys is then gone, and probably none of them are 3-4 tackles (maybe Bannan is FA after this year anyway?). I agree our personnel at 'backer is better hinging on a healthy Takeo, and LBs are cheaper to come by anyway than DTs. But going to 3-4 really does mean we have to sign/draft a can't miss two-gap DT, and a very good backup, and then add another LB or two, in addition to eating Adams' cap hit.

We might be better served by just getting that two-gap tackle anyway and seeing if it helps Adams excel again, possibly transitioning to 3-4 or including it in our packages for the following year.

So who do you like as another DT?  What we'd need in the 3-4 is another Pat Williams.  Tim Anderson, Bannan, Sape, also Edwards -- one or two (three?) of those guys is then gone, and probably none of them are 3-4 tackles (maybe Bannan is FA after this year anyway?).  I agree our personnel at 'backer is better hinging on a healthy Takeo, and LBs are cheaper to come by anyway than DTs.  But going to 3-4 really does mean we have to sign/draft a can't miss two-gap DT, and a very good backup, and then add another LB or two, in addition to eating Adams' cap hit.

We might be better served by just getting that two-gap tackle anyway and seeing if it helps Adams excel again, possibly transitioning to 3-4 or including it in our packages for the following year.

529508[/snapback]

i'd like to see a high first round draft pick taken on a huge DT.

I don't know about everybody (or anybody) being safe. Things have not only gone bad, but they've gone spectacularly bad on so many fronts that it's going to take a massive amount of willpower from Ralph WIlson to keep himself from lopping off some heads.

As for next year, I'm not sure what the hell to think.

I like Donahoe's long succesful drafting history and would prefer him to be around for another year to see if he can finish what he started. But with all the screeching Ralph might be too worried about his bottom line to view continuity as a positive.

For now I'm just going to ride it out, see what kind of development we see from the youngsters and continue to hope that they at least go down fighting over the last 3 weeks. When this awful misery is over, then it will be time to decide whether it's worth blowing the whole mess up and starting from scratch or whether we'd be better served to work with what we've got.

Cya

528931[/snapback]

Simon: you must know that donohoe is without a doubt going to be fired in january (assuming he hasn't been already)? honestly, i'd say the chances are about 100%.

simon - his one big flaw to me over the years has been his inability to solidify the qb position.......

When he was first hired I think I made some Greek joke about him actually having "2" Achilles heels. One definitely being the QB position, the other being that he's had trouble with 1strnd picks in the past. Then one of his first big moves is to combine the two troubles by trading a 1strnd pick for a QB. Talk about burning your bridges before you get to them. :doh:

I like the 3-4 but it still means a new DT........

there is not a snowball's chance in hell that sam adams will be playing for the bills next year.....

I like the 3-4 but it still means a new DT.....

i'd like to see a high first round draft pick taken on a huge DT.

I'd like to see that 1strnd pick used on a OTackle so we can kick Gandy over to guard. An OLine of bluechipLT/Gandy/Preston/Vilarial/Peters might be very serviceable.

Using that high 2ndrounder on a space-eating, 2gap anchor of a DT would probably be sufficient if we were going to run a 3-4.

Simon: you must know that donohoe is without a doubt going to be fired in january (assuming he hasn't been already)? honestly, i'd say the chances are about 100%.

I don't see it that way yet. At his age I doubt Ralph Wilson is eager to start from scratch and Donahoe has proven in the past that he is perfectly capable of building and maintaining a very good football team. He may be gone, but I get the sense he's smart enough to talk his way into a 50/50 chance of at least keeping his job for another year.

Cya

528867[/snapback]

Agreed...

Underwhelming?

Brent Jones

Merril Hoge

Gregg Lloyd

Hardy Nickerson

Rod Woodson

John Jackson

Dermonnti Dawson

Carnell Lake

Eric Green

Barry Foster

Justin Strelczyk

Leon Searcy

Levon Kirkland

Joel Steed

Darren Perry

Jeff Zgonina

Chad Brown

Brentson Buckner

Lethon Flowers

Brendan Stai

Earl Holmes

Orpheus Roye

Alan Faneca

Hines Ward

Deshea Townsend

Kris Brown

Joey Porter

529009[/snapback]

You can draft all the talent you want, it does nothing if you haven't drafted the right coach to bring out and unite that talent into a cohesive team all pulling in the same direction following the same stated goals. When it comes to cowher I think it was dumb luck or better yet the rooneys demanded that tommy boy hire him.