Well, I should have watched the game!

mcjeff215

Just finished watching the abor...er... Bills game. Wow. I spent my afternoon at the Georgia Aquarium, supposed to be the biggest one in the world. The place itself is spectacular, but I don't think I've ever been as frustrated with my my fellow man.

I have a 4 year old daughter. I wanted her to see the place. We took her stroller so she wouldn't have to walk the whole time. There were *grown men* tripping over it because they were trying to push in front of us to see FISH. People were piled 8 - 9 deep in front of tanks and there was no way to get around them. If you stood there politely, other people would push past you and think nothing of it.

I had three or four people make comments to me, about how "he doesn't know what he's doing, he's just pushing that stroller."

We were waiting in line quietly so I could let her pet the stingrays in the stingray tank. I had *THREE* adults cut in front of us and run up and do the thing while I stood there with a four year old... in the kids section... at the kids "petting tank."

All in all, I think three people uttered the words "excuse me." One of which was a staff member. I gave it up 3/4 of the way through the afternoon as I realized that most of the people there didn't speak english anyways. We left after 2 hours and about 1/3 of the exhibits. I spent the majority of the afternoon with my arms around my wife and my daughter keeping them from being pushed!

Any of you in the Atlanta area - stay the hell away from this one until late 2009. Complete mistake. The crows are just terrible. This was the worst experience I think I've ever had at anything even remotely family oriented. It was a bad as leaving a crowded stadium post-event.

-Jeff

Just finished watching the abor...er... Bills game. Wow.  I spent my afternoon at the Georgia Aquarium, supposed to be the biggest one in the world.  The place itself is spectacular, but I don't think I've ever been as frustrated with my my fellow man.

I have a 4 year old daughter.  I wanted her to see the place.  We took her stroller so she wouldn't have to walk the whole time.  There were *grown men* tripping over it because they were trying to push in front of us to see FISH.  People were piled 8 - 9 deep in front of tanks and there was no way to get around them. If you stood there politely, other people would push past you and think nothing of it.

I had three or four people make comments to me, about how "he doesn't know what he's doing, he's just pushing that stroller."

We were waiting in line quietly so I could let her pet the stingrays in the stingray tank. I had *THREE* adults cut in front of us and run up and do the thing while I stood there with a four year old... in the kids section... at the kids "petting tank."

All in all, I think three people uttered the words "excuse me." One of which was a staff member.  I gave it up 3/4 of the way through the afternoon as I realized that most of the people there didn't speak english anyways.  We left after 2 hours and about 1/3 of the exhibits. I spent the majority of the afternoon with my arms around my wife and my daughter keeping them from being pushed!

Any of you in the Atlanta area - stay the hell away from this one until late 2009.  Complete mistake. The crows are just terrible.  This was the worst experience I think I've ever had at anything even remotely family oriented.  It was a bad as leaving a crowded stadium post-event.

-Jeff

528550[/snapback]

I thought they were going to limit tickets and assign scheduled times to mitigate the crowds....so much for that. I was planning on going one of these weekends, but I'll have to rethink it. Jeff, you know as well as I do people in the A-T-L are a-holes. Southern hospitatlity my @ss :D

Least they cleaned up the empty lot across the street. Doesn't smell like stale piss anymore.

Just finished watching the abor...er... Bills game. Wow.  I spent my afternoon at the Georgia Aquarium, supposed to be the biggest one in the world.  The place itself is spectacular, but I don't think I've ever been as frustrated with my my fellow man.

I have a 4 year old daughter.  I wanted her to see the place.  We took her stroller so she wouldn't have to walk the whole time.  There were *grown men* tripping over it because they were trying to push in front of us to see FISH.  People were piled 8 - 9 deep in front of tanks and there was no way to get around them. If you stood there politely, other people would push past you and think nothing of it.

All in all, I think three people uttered the words "excuse me." One of which was a staff member.  I gave it up 3/4 of the way through the afternoon as I realized that most of the people there didn't speak english anyways.  We left after 2 hours and about 1/3 of the exhibits. I spent the majority of the afternoon with my arms around my wife and my daughter keeping them from being pushed!

Any of you in the Atlanta area - stay the hell away from this one until late 2009.  Complete mistake. The crows are just terrible.  This was the worst experience I think I've ever had at anything even remotely family oriented.  It was a bad as leaving a crowded stadium post-event.

-Jeff

528550[/snapback]

I hate people. :D

I thought they were going to limit tickets and assign scheduled times to mitigate the crowds....so much for that. I was planning on going one of these weekends, but I'll have to rethink it. Jeff, you know as well as I do people in the A-T-L are a-holes. Southern hospitatlity my @ss  ;)

Least they cleaned up the empty lot across the street. Doesn't smell like stale piss anymore.

529031[/snapback]

Yeah, the *do* do that. Our tickets were at 3:00. But I'll freakin' bet you that everyone that had gone in before us was still in there when we showed up.

Don't get me wrong, the place itself is very nice and you're screwing yourself if you don't go, but wait until after New Year's sometime and do it during the week or on Sunday morning while a lot of folks are in church.

I think it's more of a "large city mentality."

The area is nicer now, though, and on it's way up. I work a few blocks from there and I'll tell you, it's gone through a bit of a transformation. With all of the condos going up now, that area might have a bit of life left in it.

-Jeff

Yeah, the *do* do that. Our tickets were at 3:00.  But I'll freakin' bet you that everyone that had gone in before us was still in there when we showed up.

Don't get me wrong, the place itself is very nice and you're screwing yourself if you don't go, but wait until after New Year's sometime and do it during the week or on Sunday morning while a lot of folks are in church.

I think it's more of a "large city mentality."

The area is nicer now, though, and on it's way up.  I work a few blocks from there and I'll tell you, it's gone through a bit of a transformation. With all of the condos going up now, that area might have a bit of life left in it. 

-Jeff

529220[/snapback]

I used to work in the Coke Tower just north of the Aquarium. Wasn't too long ago we had bulletproof glass on the first five floors, "just in case." It is gradually getting better, but lower midtown/downtown will continue to be a ghost town after 5pm until they take a stance on petty crime & panhandling.

What do you htink about the whole Atlantic Station development. i know it's being heralded as a marvel of industrial redevelopment and supposedly they cleaned the first foot of topsoil an put down barriers, below that foot (don't know the specifics). All I have to say is even just a foot of soil from an area that large is a mammoth and supposedly it was cleaned "on site." Don't know if I'd gamble my future living over an old steel mill.

I used to work in the Coke Tower just north of the Aquarium. Wasn't too long ago we had bulletproof glass on the first five floors, "just in case." It is gradually getting better, but lower midtown/downtown will continue to be a ghost town after 5pm until they take a stance on petty crime & panhandling.

What do you htink about the whole Atlantic Station development. i know it's being heralded as a marvel of industrial redevelopment and supposedly they cleaned the first foot of topsoil an put down barriers, below that foot (don't know the specifics). All I have to say is even just a foot of soil from an area that large is a mammoth and supposedly it was cleaned "on site." Don't know if I'd gamble my future living over an old steel mill.

531668[/snapback]

Yeah, I've worked down there for eight years now, with the exception of a three month stint in Alpharetta. The first couple of years were pretty bad. I worked in a building on the corner of Peachtree and Marietta. I used to get called into work late at night due to computers crashing and whatnot. The parking deck I used wasn't connected to the building, so I had to walk a couple of blocks to get to the office.

I was walking back to the car one day, around 2:00 in the morning, and I heard "Hey white boy!" Great. Was chased into the deck. Got into my car and busted out of there right quick. Saw the guys running up and down the urine-soaked stairwell looking for me as I hauled ass out. The deck I was in was a block from underground.

I've since been chased two more times and I've almost had my "B word-assed white face" kicked in for "disrespecting a black woman." I lit her cigarette for her. This was at the 5-Points MARTA station.

Buddy of mine (same building) saw an accident happen there one night from the safety of the 14th floor. One of the homies got out of his car and proceeded to shoot into the engine of the other homey.

The building I'm in now, the deck is connected and I never set foot outside. Good. I feel somewhat safe.

The City of Atlanta actually passed some anti-panhandling legislation not so long ago, and it's helped. I think I've been asked to spare some change once in the last couple of months, whereas it used to be four or five times a day.

Now, this Atlantic station thing. I think all of the development going in down there is a good thing. They're not going to flush out the 'Gangstas' and bums until they the higher-class money crowd starts moving into the city again.

All in all, you're right. That place just empties out at 5:00PM. All of the suburbanites crawl back into their SUVs (myself included) and head for the safety of the 'burbs. It's definitely on the right track, I think.

-Jeff