USA gets very tough draw in Worldcup

Pete

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy, Ghana, and Czech Republic(currently #2 in the world).  If they qualify and not win it outright chances are they play Brazil in round 2.  We will see how good USA soccer is- they have some tough tests ahead

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/worldcup/wallchart?cc=5901

526755[/snapback]

Wow...that's rough. I HATE that they play Italy...mixed allegiances.

Wow...that's rough.  I HATE that they play Italy...mixed allegiances.

526764[/snapback]

on paper Italy and Czech should easily pass, but given that this is the same squad that got knocked out by Korea and another rather easy group, I wouldn't bet the house on it... given the fact that Italy still has a mediocre midfield.

Wow. We may get blown out 1-0.

526794[/snapback]

lol

soccer is very defensive, i guess to those who don't follow it religiously like i do it would be annoying to watch. I know USA has some decent firepower and has always played better and better from when i remember back in 94. With the coach Italy has, most likely they'll try and be efficient and win games 2-0.

lol

soccer is very defensive, i guess to those who don't follow it religiously like i do it would be annoying to watch.  I know USA has some decent firepower and has always played better and better from when i remember back in 94.  With the coach Italy has, most likely they'll try and be efficient and win games 2-0.

526799[/snapback]

I'm far from a soccer expert, but my guess is the USA has never before had a scorer like Landon Donovon. That boy can play!

I'm far from a soccer expert, but my guess is the USA has never before had a scorer like Landon Donovon.  That boy can play!

526806[/snapback]

ya i've heard of him. The thing is, I don't think the US has ever faced a player like Pavel Nedved, leading winger for Czech Republic, this guy is nuts and has the biggest heart I've ever seen on a team. I can't wait for Italy - Czech.

ya i've heard of him.  The thing is, I don't think the US has ever faced a player like Pavel Nedved, leading winger for Czech Republic, this guy is nuts and has the biggest heart I've ever seen on a team.  I can't wait for Italy - Czech.

526809[/snapback]

Nedved? He plays hockey...no? :D

on paper Italy and Czech should easily pass, but given that this is the same squad that got knocked out by Korea and another rather easy group, I wouldn't bet the house on it... given the fact that Italy still has a mediocre midfield.

526791[/snapback]

dont count out the USA- they have a nice young team

dont count out the USA- they have a nice young team

526841[/snapback]

Ya, they are a competitive team, but generally Italy should be able to beat them but like i said before we slept through the last 2 international competitions so USA could have a shot at pulling an upset. Generally though I like the fact that we're playing Czech as they are the best in the world and maybe will motivate the wops.

First time i've seen italy in a group of death :D

Ya, they are a competitive team, but generally Italy should be able to beat them but like i said before we slept through the last 2 international competitions so USA could have a shot at pulling an upset.  Generally though I like the fact that we're playing Czech as they are the best in the world and maybe will motivate the wops.

526843[/snapback]

Italy is nowhere as strong as they used to be. Czech Republic is what has me worried. I predict the USA and Czech Republic advance

Italy is nowhere as strong as they used to be.  Czech Republic is what has me worried.  I predict the USA and Czech Republic advance

526846[/snapback]

how do you figure?

We still have the top defence in the world... generally our strikers are class players and we have a very good defensive midfield, paired with a genious coach... Czech Republic has 3 big players but no defence.

how do you figure?

We still have the top defence in the world... generally our strikers are class players and we have a very good defensive midfield, paired with a genious coach... Czech Republic has 3 big players but no defence.

526849[/snapback]

different styles of play. Last worldcup noone gave the USA chance against Portugal. USA soccer is under the radar- they have a really solid team. Eddie Johnson is a scoring machine and Landon Donovan is world class. I think the USA will surprise people this year. If not this year- they will contend in 2010

different styles of play.  Last worldcup noone gave the USA chance against Portugal.    USA soccer is under the radar- they have a really solid team.  Eddie Johnson is a scoring machine and Landon Donovan is world class.  I think the USA will surprise people this year.  If not this year- they will contend in 2010

526857[/snapback]

If they were in an easier group, I would totally agree with you, but when you're stuck in a group of 2 countries that have no choice but to pass or face humiliation, it gets tough. I'm not saying US isn't talented, i remember that game vs portugal but it just is very tough to score on us because of the style of soccer we play and the world class players on our defence (nesta/cannavaro/buffon)... The thing I like about Italy this year is that they're mixed with youth (Luca Toni and Gilardino) with some Veterans (Totti). Totti has been on fire and so has Toni. If our midfield can get some chemistry I think we could go for the gold.

Since I'm probably the only guy at TBD going with USA tickets to the World Cup, here are my thoughts...

USA is in the Group of Death. It's the toughest group on paper ... however because of the US style of play, I like our chances.

Italy is OVER-RATED. I know that will piss one guy off here but it's true. Half of their players don't even want on the WC team because of the pressure that comes with it. Italy has faltered when it counts and USA can match up well against them.

Czech is an aging up and down team. They do well outside of the WC but have failed to qualify until this time around. They also have injury problems with Baros and Nedved. I think we have a serious chance at winning this game outright.

Ghana = 3pts for USA, Italy and Czech.

My feelings are USA gets 1st or they don't make it into the Round of 16.

1. USA - 7pts

2. ITA - 5pts

3. CZE - 4pts

4. GHA - 0pts

Since I'm probably the only guy at TBD going with USA tickets to the World Cup, here are my thoughts...

USA is in the Group of Death. It's the toughest group on paper ... however because of the US style of play, I like our chances.

Italy is OVER-RATED. I know that will piss one guy off here but it's true. Half of their players don't even want on the WC team because of the pressure that comes with it. Italy has faltered when it counts and USA can match up well against them.

Czech is an aging up and down team. They do well outside of the WC but have failed to qualify until this time around. They also have injury problems with Baros and Nedved. I think we have a serious chance at winning this game outright.

Ghana = 3pts for USA, Italy and Czech.

My feelings are USA gets 1st or they don't make it into the Round of 16.

1. USA - 7pts

2. ITA - 5pts

3. CZE - 4pts

4. GHA - 0pts

526930[/snapback]

I'm not pissed, I'm actually happy that there are some people who enjoy watching the game. Calling Italy over rated when they have the talent they do is a bit of a stretch, i'd say more of under achievers. Remember that faltering in international competition after playing a grueling serie A and champions league season can't be easy. That is why some teams like Korea for example come out during the world cup looking good because they didn't spend a whole season playing their hearts out for their clubs.

Anywho, Czech has a great offence but has no defence, it might hurt them in the end. I don't really know much about US, the only thing i know is that they impressed at the last World Cup and hopefully they can build on that. But remember as impressive as any team is, it is very difficult to score on Marcello Lippi's defence. He is a great coach, very respected and well liked amongst the players and is able to adapt to who ever he is playing. The only draw back is that it usually takes him a bit to get his players in gear and he is generally a rookie in international competition so it could be a problem.

And the group featuring Holland and Argentina is truly the group of death. I'm looking forward to that matchup.