Little Things...

buckeyemike

These come from a book about the Browns I'm now reading. These nuggets are disbursed around the book and may or may not have anything to do with the Cleveland Browns (or anything else, for that matter).

The only person to score back-to-back fifty point games in the history of Long Island High School basketball is Jim Brown, the NFL legend.

The formula for the NFL quarterback rating system is actually a recipe for chili. <_<

In a 2002 Sports Illustrated poll, 83% of Native Americans declared in favor of Indian mascots and team names. Among tribal leaders, that figure was under 50%.

Former Colorado Rockies manager Jim Leyland was once a second-string catcher for Perrysburg High School in Perrysburg, Ohio. The starting catcher was Jerry Glanville.

When former ESPN and current NFL Network anchor Rich Eisen was in college, his stand-up comedy routine involved reading "Letters to Penthouse" using Howard Cosell's voice.

In 1941, the news director at a small radio station in Kalamazoo, Michigan hired Harry Caray, who had been employed at another radio station in Joliet, Illinois. The news director's name was Paul Harvey. Yes, that Paul Harvey. "And now you know...the rest of the story."

Paul Tagliabue once held the career rebounding record for the Georgetown University basketball team. That mark was broken by Patrick Ewing in 1985.

The public address announcer for the Houston Colt .45s (now Astros) in 1962 was Dan Rather.

The first American to jump off the boats at the D-Day invasion was James Arness, the "Gunsmoke" actor. He was the tallest man on the first ship (at 6'7") and the ship's captain wanted to see how deep the water was.

Joe Namath was the only athlete on Richard Nixon's famous "Enemies" list.

More to come...

Mike

When former ESPN and current NFL Network anchor Rich Eisen was in college, his stand-up comedy routine involved reading "Letters to Penthouse" using Howard Cosell's voice.

526123[/snapback]

That's great. <_<

Paul Tagliabue once held the career rebounding record for the Georgetown University basketball team.  That mark was broken by Patrick Ewing in 1985.

526123[/snapback]

Does this mean Georgetown used to play white guys? Either that, or PT used to be black!

In the 1976 Ohio State-Indiana game, the Hoosiers scored first. Indiana coach Lee Corso called a timeout. During the timeout, Corso assembled his team for a group picture...with the scoreboard clearly visible in the background, showing Indiana leading, 7-0. Corso featured the picture on the cover of his 1977 Indiana recruiting brochure.

Ohio State won the game, 47-7. <_<

Mike

O.J. Simpson's cousin is Ernie Banks. Their grandfathers were twin brothers.

More NFL games had been played at the Meadowlands than in any other stadium. The record holder until 2003 was Wrigley Field, even though Wrigley hadn't hosted an NFL game since the Bears moved to Soldier Field in 1971.

Mike

The first American to jump off the boats at the D-Day invasion was James Arness, the "Gunsmoke" actor.  He was the tallest man on the first ship (at 6'7") and the ship's captain wanted to see how deep the water was.

526123[/snapback]

Honestly...I've heard so many "So-and-so did such-and-such on D-Day" stories that turn out to be bull sh-- that I won't accept this one without corroboration.

And his IMDB bio doesn't count. <_<

Honestly...I've heard so many "So-and-so did such-and-such on D-Day" stories that turn out to be bull sh-- that I won't accept this one without corroboration.

And his IMDB bio doesn't count.   :angry:

526226[/snapback]

What, weren't Fred Rogers and Captain Kangaroo with James Arness on the same boat? <_<

Mike

Janis Joplin and Jimmy Johnson went to the same high school in Port Arthur, Texas...and they hated each other.

Mike

526594[/snapback]

I can only imagine. If JJ in high school was anything like JJ now, my guess is he was well-hated.

The first American to jump off the boats at the D-Day invasion was James Arness, the "Gunsmoke" actor.  He was the tallest man on the first ship (at 6'7") and the ship's captain wanted to see how deep the water was.

526123[/snapback]

Too bad Chuck Norris wasn't on that boat!

The Miami Dolphins during their 1972 undefeated regular season played only two teams that finished the season above .500.

The Fish trailed the Browns late in their first round playoff game, beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship by only four points, and were actually three point underdogs to the Redskins in Super Bowl VII.

Mike

Janis Joplin and Jimmy Johnson went to the same high school in Port Arthur, Texas...and they hated each other.

526594[/snapback]

I can only imagine.  If JJ in high school was anything like JJ now, my guess is he was well-hated.

526798[/snapback]

Whoa... too many JJs. Which JJ is which?

The Miami Dolphins during their 1972 undefeated regular season played only two teams that finished the season above .500. 

The Fish trailed the Browns late in their first round playoff game, beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship by only four points, and were actually three point underdogs to the Redskins in Super Bowl VII.

530142[/snapback]

Had the Fins made the final FG and not had it blocked and returned for a TD, the final score of that Superbowl would have been 17-0, just like their record.

sweet.

Whoa... too many JJs. Which JJ is which?

531207[/snapback]

Pick 'em. :P

I saw that later, but figured the inclusion of "him" in the sentence cleared things up. :P

But, to clear things up for anyone who might care (can't imagine why):

I would not be surprised if Jimmy Johnson was a d-bag in high school.