What GM Would Be Interested in Buffalo

when Tom Donahoe is so highly regarded in the NFL and was ridden out of town. Finding a quality/star GM to come in to replace TD may be a VERY difficult thing to do.

If I were a Ron Wolf (or someone like him) I would think that I could be in a better geography and position to win with teams like Houston or, even, Detroit...

So, the Bills will 'make do' by elevating Tom Modrak (which is not a bad choice). But if Tom M fails, then forget ever getting a established GM of significance to come to Buffalo.

If I were a Ron Wolf (or someone like him) I would think that I could be in a better geography and position to win with teams like Houston or, even, Detroit...

526004[/snapback]

I hope you are wrong, but Green Bay and Buffalo have similar make-up. Both teams are small market teams, both have a rabid fan base which are suceptible to lynch mob mentality when things go wrong. The Green bay fan base are actually stockholders, so a simple "company" meeting and he is out. I would think that that type of situation is akin to walking a tightrope every season. Lets face it, Bills fans are a loyal bunch, but very critical if a 5 year plan turns into a 25 year plan. I think Wolf is aware of the mentality of the Bills fanbase and hopefully can impress Mr. Wilson should a meeting occur.

when Tom Donahoe is so highly regarded in the NFL and was ridden out of town. Finding a quality/star GM to come in to replace TD may be a VERY difficult thing to do.

So, the Bills will 'make do' by elevating Tom Modrak (which is not a bad choice). But if Tom M fails, then forget ever getting a established GM of significance to come to Buffalo.

526004[/snapback]

As I just posted in another thread, I think the Bills would be very attractive to potential GM canidates. The team has some good, young talent in J.P., Evans, Takeo, McGahee, McGee, Shelton, Peters, Parrish, Schobel, Preston, and Moorman. The Bills will have some nice picks in April. Plus, the team is selling a lot of tickets, the Bills Backers thing is going well. Oh, and I think the Bills are in decent salary cap shape. If Wilson is willing to pony up, he'll get a top canidate.

526004[/snapback]

I don't exactly know what you mean by "ridden out of town." This assumes that if he is gone, someone other than himself would be the culprit.

If TD does go, he imo will have ridden himself out of town, both on an overweight Clydesdale named Mike Williams, and an under-nourished Shetland Pony named Roscoe Parrish.

Of course, this is to only name two nasty nags. :pirate:

The Green bay fan base are actually stockholders, so a simple "company" meeting and he is out.

526013[/snapback]

Now someone should be organizing a similiar situation for the Bills, and be prepared for the inevitable. I'd definitely buy as many shares as I could afford.

As I just posted in another thread, I think the Bills would be very attractive to potential GM canidates. The team has some good, young talent in J.P., Evans, Takeo, McGahee, McGee, Shelton, Peters, Parrish, Schobel, Preston, and Moorman. The Bills will have some nice picks in April. Plus, the team is selling a lot of tickets, the Bills Backers thing is going well. Oh, and I think the Bills are in decent salary cap shape. If Wilson is willing to pony up, he'll get a top canidate.

526020[/snapback]

Since the mid-1980's, Ralph has given his GM whatever he wanted in terms of FA signing money and (for the most part) freedom to run the team. That, and the solid group of younger players on the roster, would be a very attractive carrot to dangle in front of a new GM candidate. Also the fact that the AFC East is wide open and the Pats aren't the jugernaught they once were...

Now someone should be organizing a similiar situation for the Bills, and be prepared for the inevitable. I'd definitely buy as many shares as I could afford.

526057[/snapback]

Per NFL rules, the Green Bay situation of a 'Community Owned Team' is no longer legal.

Probably has something to do with the ability to move them in the middle of the night, should they choose to do so....

526004[/snapback]

I don't see why the Texans or Lions would be a better place to land. Detroit is quite possibly worse off economically than Buffalo, and Houston's younger guys are proving to all be busts.

Wolf is retired, he didn't stick with the Browns very long, and I haven't heard any official word that he'd like to come back. I read he is living near Baltimore. I think he would be a great catch though, so I really hope Ralph is giving him a call.

Wolf absoutley robbed Atlanta -- taking Brett Farve for peanuts. As the Packers' GM, he had a 92-52 regular season record -- .639 percentage; 101 total victories, including playoff games; seven straight winning seasons, 1992-98; six straight playoff appearances, 1993-98; a 53-10 record at Lambeau Field, including a 25-game home winning streak, 1995-98; back-to-back NFC championships, 1996-97; and a Super Bowl championship, XXXI. He also made several huge trades and free agency deals, including Farve, Reggie White, Amhan Green, Sean Jones, etc.

Belay my last -- Ron Wolf, the former Packers general manager denied reports he was interested in returning to the NFL and dismissed the idea he could lead the Lions back to respectability.

-- Detroit Free Press

526004[/snapback]

1) I'm not sure that Donahoe is "highly regarded" in the NFL. There is no doubt that he is "highly regarded" among the media - in part because he's good buddies with all of the ESPN types.

2) Buffalo's GM position is attractive because, well, there's only 32 of these positions. If you are a rising front office type, you can't be picky about those things.

3) In general, GM positions open up for bad teams.... with the exceptions being death and early retirement. If you are a rising front-office type looking for a job, you can't expect to be taking over a playoff team (which has its own risks of trying to stay at the top, now that the fans except the playoffs every year as their birthright.)

4) I think a lot of people could look at the NFL and see that a good core is in place. On offense, you have Losman-McGahee-Evans-Parrish, and maybe Everett. On defense, you have a few bits and pieces in McGee, Schobel, Fletcher, and Spikes. You have the best-darn special teams in the League. So, its not like you need to build *everything*, sure there is work to be done - but this isn't Arizona or Houston.

JDG

Lets face it, Bills fans are a loyal bunch, but very critical if a 5 year plan turns into a 25 year plan. I think Wolf is aware of the mentality of the Bills fanbase and hopefully can impress Mr. Wilson should a meeting occur.

526013[/snapback]

Is this a bad thing to get pissed when a 5 year plan turns into a 25 year plan? It's called passion. Maybe New England bandwagoners would be satisfied being out of the playoffs for 6 years but they could just go back to being fans of whatever other team is doing well that year.

The bottom line is that this franchise is not much better off then when TD got here 6 YEARS ago. The franchise is a joke, Mularkey has lost the team. Its becomming apparant that the players have not or are no longer buying the company line. The only thing that solves this problem is winning games and this team has a stong aversion towards winning.

My frickin' grandmother who doesn't watch much football asked me to explain why the team was throwing the ball on 1st and goal from the 3. Do you hear that Mularkey??? My grandmother has better offensive playcalling skills than you. That's pathetic but hey, keep up the good work.

RTB

My frickin' grandmother who doesn't watch much football asked me to explain why the team was throwing the ball on 1st and goal from the 3. Do you hear that Mularkey??? My grandmother has better offensive playcalling skills than you. That's pathetic but hey, keep up the good work.

RTB

526171[/snapback]

I understand Mularkey suspended your grandmother for one game for that comment.

OK, since Wolf is apparently uninterested in making a return to the NFL, I would like to see Ralph take a look at (in this order) Mike Reinfeldt, the Seahawks' vice president of Football Administration; Ronnie Hill, Atlanta's VP of Football Operations; or, if Modark stays on as the GM, maybe he'd consider Philly's vice president of Player Personnel, Tom Heckert, as assistant GM.

1) I'm not sure that Donahoe is "highly regarded" in the NFL.  There is no doubt that he is "highly regarded" among the media - in part because he's good buddies with all of the ESPN types. 

526160[/snapback]

I bet you a six pack, if TD is fired after this season, he will get plenty of looks from the other 6 teams or so that could have GM openings. Assuming he wants a new job right away, he will be a GM somewhere else. TD has been a huge success in Buffalo, in every area, except on the field...

526004[/snapback]

GM's get paid for results don't they? Donahoe may have been in high regard, but the product he has put on the field and the coaches he has selected has been very questionable. I would hope that any GM coming in would have enough confidence in their ability that they think they can do a better job than TD, with better results. If not, they shouldn't be hired.

I bet you a six pack, if TD is fired after this season, he will get plenty of looks from the other 6 teams or so that could have GM openings.  Assuming he wants a new job right away, he will be a GM somewhere else. TD has been a huge success in Buffalo, in every area, except on the field...

526221[/snapback]

I think that they would have to take a look at him. He isn't an abysmal GM (see: Matt Millen), but I think "highly regarded" is just a bit too much.

Or to put it another way, if the Titans are foolish enough to fire Jeff Fisher, I think that he could pretty much pick whatever opening he wants. I don't think TD will be in that category.... he has a track record now of either being at cross-purposes with his head coach (Cowher) or else hiring weak and ineffectual coaces (Williams and Mularkey.)

JDG