Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx- Still exist?

I got the SI today, and much to my dismay, Tom Brady was named Sportsman of the Year. I don't necessarily agree with the pick, but I'm not sure of who else would win. The immediate thought that did come to mind is whether or not the SI cover jinx still has the aura it once did. If so, Brady should crumble in the swirling winds of the Ralph this weekend. So....Two questions:

1. Whaddya think? Will the SI jinx be in effect this weekend? Will Brady complete more passes to Clements and McGee than to his own receivers? Or is he all-powerful and too handsome to succumb to such voodoo?

2. Who should have been Sportsman of the Year (if not Brady)? I was thinking about it; not many great choices. I could see possibly:

o Charlie Weis- If Brady, why not Weis? CW also won 3 Super Bowls, he made Brady what he is, and he restored the most storied college football program to the national rankings. He also visited a dying child, and ran a play the boy called. That was a nice story.

o Lance Armstrong- Tour de France, blah, blah, blah. Deserves mention, but I think he's had a stranglehold on this award. Time for something new, IMO.

o Albert Pujols- The best player in baseball, on one of the best and most popular teams. He also does a lot of work with mentally disabled children.

o Bode Miller- Became the first U.S. skiier to win the overall World Cup title last year and won at least one event in each discipline (Downhill, Super G, Slalom, and Giant Slalom, or something like that. :pirate: )

o Matt Leinart/Reggie Bush- Last year's Heisman winner and this year's Heisman winner are 37-1 in their college careers. They have led their team to two national titles in a row (and have a shot at a third), and will go down as two of the finest college players ever at their respective positions.

o Gary Bettmann- Always need to include some controversy. NHL commish took a lot of heat for the year off, but he may have had a vision all along. By all accounts, the league is financially stable and maybe even profitable, and the game is clearly better than it has been for 10 years.

o Tedy Bruschi- You had to know that was coming!!! :w00t:

o Forgot one: Roger Federer- Pretty good tennis player

Who do you think deserved the SotY?

Edited by smokinandjokin

Terell Owens??

Not to compare the guy to hitler, but time did have hitler as its man of the year. Give it to TO for some controversy, not the world's biggest bandwagon team leader. (or would that title go to manchester united? i know absolutely nothing about organized pro soccer)

The madden Jinx is worse.  Look at McNabb.

525967[/snapback]

Yeah, the Madden jinx has been bad. McNabb, Ray Lewis, Vick...who else?

I think the SI jinx will return with a vengeance Sunday, as Brady will throw at least 3 picks, and the Bills win 20-14. Also, the "Best Bad weather kicker" Vinatieri goes 0-3.

As for Sportsman of the Year, Brady is not a horrible choice, just unexpected. Weis wouldn't have been bad, and Leinart/Bush are certainly deserving, but co-winners are kind of a cop-out. If Federer were more popular, it would have been him. He dominated everyone this past year, and is already mentioned in the conversation of greatest players ever.

o Albert Pujols- The best player in baseball, on one of the best and most popular teams.  He also does a lot of work with mentally disabled children.

525868[/snapback]

I believe this was covered as part of the Retatta thread. I forgot again who won the world series? :pirate:

Why hasn't Tiger Woods' name been mentioned?? Sub par 2004 but came back with a vengence this year and had a shot at the Grand Slam.  Plus, bonus ponits because his wife is smoking.

525987[/snapback]

Good call. Was trying to think of the "other" sports, got cycling, skiing, and tennis in there...I forgot about that bastard Tiger. He did have a good year.

No but my statement was who won the world series?  Did Saint Lousis even get there?  Oh that's right, no.  So to declare them the best team in baseball is wrong.

525991[/snapback]

Take a good look at my post VA. They are far from the best team in baseball. I don't think there was a more overrated pitching staff. However, 205 wins over the past two years (105-57, 100-62) would include them in the conversation as "one of the best teams in baseball." Pujols had a lot to do with those wins.

I haven't been around here that long, but I have been around long enough to know the history of making outrageous claims about the St. Louis Cardinals!

No but my statement was who won the world series?  Did Saint Lousis even get there?  Oh that's right, no.  So to declare them the best team in baseball is wrong.

525991[/snapback]

Remember--he DID hit that game winning home run in the Btm of the 9th with his team down 2 runs, off of one of the elite closers in the game, to keep his team alive in the playoffs. I think the man did everything he could to try and get his team to the WS. Moe than what we can say about MVP A-Rod. :pirate:

Remember--he DID hit that game winning home run in the Btm of the 9th with his team down 2 runs, off of one of the elite closers in the game, to keep his team alive in the playoffs.  I think the man did everything he could to try and get his team to the WS.  Moe than what we can say about MVP A-Rod.  :pirate:

526009[/snapback]

But what's his wife look like?