BREAKING NEWS

Corp000085

down 2-1 late in the third, kotalik with a game tying goal with 2:00 left... afinogenov wins it in overtime on a power play.

I hate making threads over here regarding the sabres, but damn... what a finish from a crappy start of the game.

No need to apologize about starting a Sabres thread. The Sabres haven't been this well-rounded since who knows when. The Ducks were aggressively forechecking most of the game which was preventing the Sabres from stringing passes together. The Sabres finally found their short passing, speed game in the 3rd period and OT. For a while, I thought the Sabres weren't going to solve Giguere especially, after the Ducks got their second goal. The Sabres power play is reminiscent of the multiple passing and deliberate style of the old Soviet teams.

It is nice to see Kotalik score as he seems to spend a lot of time in the penalty box. The Sabres should stick with Biron for the short term and ease Miller back into the lineup.

The Sabres aren't great (yet). The Sabres are playing very good. Ottawa is still a notch or two ahead of the Sabres (and the rest of the league?). The Sabres have won eight more games than they have lost but they have only scored two more goals than they have given up. Part of that is attributable to the 21 - 5 margin in the three Ottawa games. But who am I to complain? The Sabres are 10 - 1 - 1 in their last twelve games. Six of those wins were by one goal.

If you are in the Buffalo area, show up and support the Sabres. I wish I could but I have to settle for the sports bar.

Two interesting facts about the Sabres:

1) The leading scorer for the Sabres is Tim Connolly with 7 goals and 15 assists for 22 points. Connolly is 75th in NHL scoring (as of 12/09/05 - am).

2) The Sabres are fourth in the conference standings (the first eight get in the playoffs). Note that the Sabres have played more games than some of the other teams.

Regardless, the progress is very nice. If anybody remembers that far back, in 2003-04, the Sabres had a very strong finish just falling behind Montreal in the playoff chase.