100 reasons I love the cold weather

Beerball

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeeeeehawwwww!  Gotta be careful though, I chafe in the summer, lotsa baby powder.

531161[/snapback]

Chaps were pretty popular kid's stuff in the '50's. I have an old Christmas Day b&w photo of me wearing Gene Autry chaps, a full Indian head dress, and a Prince Valiant shield and sword.

Talk about conflicted... :P

Chaps were pretty popular kid's stuff in the '50's. I have an old Christmas Day b&w photo of me wearing Gene Autry chaps, a full Indian head dress, and a Prince Valiant shield and sword.

Talk about conflicted... :P

531169[/snapback]

'splains much about the 'man' you've become. :P Bet you had the Prince Valiant haircut too.

'splains much about the 'man' you've become. :P  Bet you had the Prince Valiant haircut too.

531173[/snapback]

No - wasting dough on a haircut for a kid back then was considered a stupid waste of money. Still is, IMO.

'Twas the home electric clippers with the plastic attachments for us. The inevitable gouges that bled were treated with a dollop of toothpaste. Sounds funny looking back, but it did stanch the blood. :P

No - wasting dough on a haircut for a kid back then was considered a stupid waste of money. Still is, IMO.

'Twas the home electric clippers with the plastic attachments for us. The inevitable gouges that bled were treated with a dollop of toothpaste. Sounds funny looking back, but it did stanch the blood. :D

531192[/snapback]

How much was a haircut? 2 bucks and a 25 cent tip?

Right now the barber charges 10 bucks for kids. When I go with my son one barber does mine while another gives my son a haircut in another chair (they 6 have barbers/chairs)... Total bill with tip is 27 bucks!

Then again, maybe kids have way too much esteem nowadays!

And it ain't like we are going every two weeks.

:doh::lol:

How much was a haircut?  2 bucks and a 25 cent tip?

Right now the barber charges 10 bucks for kids.  When I go with my son one barber does mine while another gives my son a haircut in another chair (they 6 have barbers/chairs)... Total bill with tip is 27 bucks!

Then again, maybe kids have way too much esteem nowadays!

And it ain't like we are going every two weeks.

:blink:  ;)

532145[/snapback]

I think it was something like $1.25. And kids did not tip barbers, even though they would give you a lollipop.

That was a lot of money, considering that a Saturday matinee was 25 cents. I generally went to the since-razed Colvin Theater on Kenmore Ave. Popcorn was 10 cents, and you could get a 6 ounce cup of pop from a machine in the lobby for a nickel. I never bought candy there, though - they wanted 6 cents vs. 5 cents at the drug store. :doh:

I think it was something like $1.25. And kids did not tip barbers, even though they would give you a lollipop.

That was a lot of money, considering that a Saturday matinee was 25 cents. I generally went to the since-razed Colvin Theater on Kenmore Ave. Popcorn was 10 cents, and you could get a 6 ounce cup of pop from a machine in the lobby for a nickel. I never bought candy there, though - they wanted 6 cents vs. 5 cents at the drug store. :lol:

533096[/snapback]

Cool!

Movies have gone up on a crazy ride... Barbers now, they are the man! But, they are getting harder to find! :D

Getting nastolgic about those prices is neat but, if you put into context with the amount things cost today, you will find that things are equally as cheap if not lower if you factor in today what we make... We just have a lot more crap out there trying to tempt our money out of our pockets.

Consider that 6 oz. cup cost 5 cents... What can you get a 2 liter today for? $.89-$1.49... on special to regular. And that is almost 10 times more in volume.

Back then it was some serious coin that you shelled out.

Cool!

Movies have gone up on a crazy ride... Barbers now, they are the man!  But, they are getting harder to find! :lol:

Getting nastolgic about those prices is neat but, if you put into context with the amount things cost today, you will find that things are equally as cheap if not lower if you factor in today what we make... We just have a lot more crap out there trying to tempt our money out of our pockets.

Consider that 6 oz. cup cost 5 cents... What can you get a 2 liter today for?  $.89-$1.49... on special to regular.  And that is almost 10 times more in volume.

Back then it was some serious coin that you shelled out.

533437[/snapback]

Well, pop is cheaper, but forget popcorn. Pricing has exploded!

BTW, I learned the secret of movie popcorn thanks to Fezmid's recommmendation of the Whirly-Pop popcorn maker. I ordered it with 5 packs of their movie popcorn. It was dead-nuts authentic - the oil part of the blister pack was coconut oil - which I subsequently found out is something like 90% saturated fat. :P

My first ever consumer protest was over the great movie, Ben-Hur. The Colvin theater upped the ticket price to 35 cents. Outrageous - never did see it until it showed up on TV. :D

Well, pop is cheaper, but forget popcorn. Pricing has exploded!

BTW, I learned the secret of movie popcorn thanks to Fezmid's recommmendation of the Whirly-Pop popcorn maker. I ordered it with 5 packs of their movie popcorn. It was dead-nuts authentic - the oil part of the blister pack was coconut oil - which I subsequently found out is something like 90% saturated fat.  :P

My first ever consumer protest was over the great movie, Ben-Hur. The Colvin theater upped the ticket price to 35 cents. Outrageous - never did see it until it showed up on TV. :lol:

533477[/snapback]

Shhhhh... I am talking to a co-worker that is in the throws of a diet!

:D