Bills - Pats v.2

Lori

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (7-5) AT BUFFALO BILLS (4-8)

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2005 – 1:00 PM ET

RALPH WILSON STADIUM, ORCHARD PARK, NY

CBS: Kevin Harlan and Randy Cross

REGULAR-SEASON SERIES RECORD: New England leads, 49-40-1. The Patriots are 16-15 at Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium.

PLAYOFF RECORD: New England leads, 1-0

LAST MEETING: October 30, 2005 – Patriots 21, Bills 16

Preview

Buffalo dominated much of the game – holding the ball nearly twice as long and outgaining the Pats 394-273 – but their inability to score touchdowns in the red zone came back to haunt them in the Halloween Eve matchup. The game-turning play came with 6:20 remaining and the Bills clinging to a 16-14 lead; OLB Rosevelt Colvin took advantage of a missed blocking assignment to blindside Kelly Holcomb and hit the sack/fumble/recovery trifecta at the Buffalo 23. Two plays later, Corey Dillon rumbled into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown.

Aside from the costly turnover, Holcomb played a decent game for Buffalo. He finished 20-33 for 263 yards, including a 55-yard touchdown pass to Eric Moulds; Moulds’ season-high 125 receiving yards marked his second 100-yard effort in the last three games against New England. Willis McGahee ran well, averaging 4.4 yards on 31 carries for his second-highest rushing total (131) of the season. On defense, Aaron Schobel abused rookie LT Nick Kaczur for two sacks and a forced fumble.

LAST TIME IN BUFFALO: October 3, 2004 – Patriots 31, Bills 17

The Bills took a 17-10 second-quarter lead on a 41-yard Bledsoe-to-Moulds hookup, but a successful New England two-minute drill sent the game to halftime tied at 17. The Pats went up 24-17 early in the fourth quarter, then sealed the win when Buffalo botched a questionable fourth-down QB bootleg and Richard Seymour returned the ensuing Bledsoe fumble 68 yards for the game-clinching touchdown.

PATRIOTS OVERVIEW

OFFENSE (#8 total yardage, #27 rushing, #4 passing, #12 scoring):

With Charlie Weis in South Bend, Corey Dillon in and out of the lineup, and a pair of rookie linemen protecting his blind side, Tom Brady has been asked to shoulder more of the load than ever this season. Brady has responded to the challenge; he currently leads the league with 3301 passing yards. He had a bad day in Kansas City, but rebounded with an efficient game against the Jets last week.

The OL situation has only gotten worse, though – starting C Dan Koppen is now out for the year, and it doesn’t look like LT Matt Light will be back any time soon. As noted above, Light’s replacement had a rough game against Aaron Schobel back in October. Under normal circumstances, with some help from the RWS “12th Man”, I’d almost guarantee a career game for Schobel this Sunday – he has 6.5 career sacks against Brady, more than any other QB in the league.

Dillon’s ongoing leg problems and Kevin Faulk’s broken foot have forced the Patriots to search for other options at RB, including using FBs Patrick Pass and Heath Evans in a single-back set. Dillon is on the wrong side of 30 and has had more than 300 carries in four of the last five seasons; one wonders if the tread on his tires is starting to wear a little thin.

All four RBs are listed as ‘questionable’ on this week’s injury report… if that means anything, coming out of Fortress Belichick. I expect both Dillon and Faulk to play.

Deion Branch and David Givens are still the starters at WR, with Troy Brown, Tim Dwight, and even Andre’ Davis filling in when Givens was sidelined with a knee injury. TEs Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, and Christian Fauria have combined for 7 of the team’s 18 touchdown catches.

DEFENSE (#29 total yardage, #16 rushing, #31 passing, #25 scoring):

Getting Seymour and Tedy Bruschi back has solidified the New England front seven; they’ve improved from 24th to 16th against the run since the first Buffalo game. Versatile linebacker Mike Vrabel leads the Patriots in tackles, and is also tied for the team lead in interceptions (including one returned for a touchdown). He moves inside next to Bruschi when the Pats use the 3-4 set, with Willie McGinest and team sack leader Colvin lining up at OLB. Underachieving FA signees Chad Brown and Monty Beisel have been relegated to backup duty.

The Pats’ injury-mandated secondary shuffle continues. Six DBs (including five who started at least one game this season) are now on I.R., so they’re left with rookie third-round pick Ellis Hobbs starting opposite Asante Samuel at CB. Former Bengals/Panthers CB Artrell Hawkins, signed three weeks ago, has started the last two games at strong safety; Eugene Wilson is the FS. While New England may have gotten better against the run lately, opposing QBs have thrown for 21 touchdowns versus 6 interceptions; only Houston and Oakland have picked off fewer passes this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Last week, Adam Vinatieri’s second field goal against the Jets pushed him past Boston Patriot great Gino Cappelletti to become the franchise’s all-time leading scorer. He’s having another steady season - 14-15 from inside 40 yards, 17-22 overall. Josh Miller leads the league in gross punting, averaging 46.7 yards/kick. (Brian Moorman and Tampa Bay’s Josh Bidwell are tied for second with a 46.1 average.) Miller’s 39.5 net average ranks #2 behind the Chargers’ Mike Scifres.

Tim Dwight, Bethel Johnson, and Ellis Hobbs have all taken a turn at KR, but none has had a real impact this season. Dwight has done a decent job at PR, averaging 8.7 yards/return. Although they have yet to give up a touchdown return, the coverage units are average at best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUTLOOK:

The most galling part of what has turned into another lost season? It seemed like the Super Bowl-era Bills teams almost always managed to find a way to win the close games – when it came down to crunch time, someone would make a big play to turn the tide in our favor.

The 2005 Bills are the antithesis of those resilient Levy-coached squads; they’ve blown halftime leads in three of their eight losses this season, and the ineptitude of their red-zone offense (ranked 30th in the league) is exceeded only by their red-zone D (dead last).

Up until about 3:30 last Sunday afternoon, I liked Buffalo’s chances in this game. But after the “Miami Meltdown” and the ensuing chaos at One Bills Drive, I honestly have no idea what kind of team the Bills are going to put on the field this weekend. Can they regroup from such a gut-wrenching defeat, or has the run-for-the-bus mentality already begun to set in? And what the heck is the deal between the head coach and the franchise’s #2 all-time leading receiver, anyway?

Maybe we’ll find out by late Sunday afternoon...

And if New England manages to take an early lead, things could get ugly. Really ugly.

See you in Lot 1. Go Bills.

Links:

NFL.com: injury report / Patriots depth chart /Patriots team stats

Ourlads.com: Patriots depth chart

Official team website: Patriots.com

http://bostonsportsmedia.com

http://www.patsfans.com

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (7-5) AT BUFFALO BILLS (4-8)

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2005 – 1:00 PM ET

RALPH WILSON STADIUM, ORCHARD PARK, NY

CBS: Kevin Harlan and Randy Cross

REGULAR-SEASON SERIES RECORD: New England leads, 49-40-1. The Patriots are 16-15 at Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium.

PLAYOFF RECORD: New England leads, 1-0

LAST MEETING: October 30, 2005 – Patriots 21, Bills 16

Preview

Buffalo dominated much of the game – holding the ball nearly twice as long and outgaining the Pats 394-273 – but their inability to score touchdowns in the red zone came back to haunt them in the Halloween Eve matchup. The game-turning play came with 6:20 remaining and the Bills clinging to a 16-14 lead; OLB Rosevelt Colvin took advantage of a missed blocking assignment to blindside Kelly Holcomb and hit the sack/fumble/recovery trifecta at the Buffalo 23. Two plays later, Corey Dillon rumbled into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown.

Aside from the costly turnover, Holcomb played a decent game for Buffalo. He finished 20-33 for 263 yards, including a 55-yard touchdown pass to Eric Moulds; Moulds’ season-high 125 receiving yards marked his second 100-yard effort in the last three games against New England. Willis McGahee ran well, averaging 4.4 yards on 31 carries for his second-highest rushing total (131) of the season. On defense, Aaron Schobel abused rookie LT Nick Kaczur for two sacks and a forced fumble.

LAST TIME IN BUFFALO: October 3, 2004 – Patriots 31, Bills 17

The Bills took a 17-10 second-quarter lead on a 41-yard Bledsoe-to-Moulds hookup, but a successful New England two-minute drill sent the game to halftime tied at 17. The Pats went up 24-17 early in the fourth quarter, then sealed the win when Buffalo botched a questionable fourth-down QB bootleg and Richard Seymour returned the ensuing Bledsoe fumble 68 yards for the game-clinching touchdown.

PATRIOTS OVERVIEW

OFFENSE (#8 total yardage, #27 rushing, #4 passing, #12 scoring):

With Charlie Weis in South Bend, Corey Dillon in and out of the lineup, and a pair of rookie linemen protecting his blind side, Tom Brady has been asked to shoulder more of the load than ever this season. Brady has responded to the challenge; he currently leads the league with 3301 passing yards. He had a bad day in Kansas City, but rebounded with an efficient game against the Jets last week.

The OL situation has only gotten worse, though – starting C Dan Koppen is now out for the year, and it doesn’t look like LT Matt Light will be back any time soon. As noted above, Light’s replacement had a rough game against Aaron Schobel back in October. Under normal circumstances, with some help from the RWS “12th Man”, I’d almost guarantee a career game for Schobel this Sunday – he has 6.5 career sacks against Brady, more than any other QB in the league.

Dillon’s ongoing leg problems and Kevin Faulk’s broken foot have forced the Patriots to search for other options at RB, including using FBs Patrick Pass and Heath Evans in a single-back set. Dillon is on the wrong side of 30 and has had more than 300 carries in four of the last five seasons; one wonders if the tread on his tires is starting to wear a little thin.

All four RBs are listed as ‘questionable’ on this week’s injury report… if that means anything, coming out of Fortress Belichick. I expect both Dillon and Faulk to play.

Deion Branch and David Givens are still the starters at WR, with Troy Brown, Tim Dwight, and even Andre’ Davis filling in when Givens was sidelined with a knee injury. TEs Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, and Christian Fauria have combined for 7 of the team’s 18 touchdown catches. 

DEFENSE (#29 total yardage, #16 rushing, #31 passing, #25 scoring):

Getting Seymour and Tedy Bruschi back has solidified the New England front seven; they’ve improved from 24th to 16th against the run since the first Buffalo game. Versatile linebacker Mike Vrabel leads the Patriots in tackles, and is also tied for the team lead in interceptions (including one returned for a touchdown). He moves inside next to Bruschi when the Pats use the 3-4 set, with Willie McGinest and team sack leader Colvin lining up at OLB. Underachieving FA signees Chad Brown and Monty Beisel have been relegated to backup duty.

The Pats’ injury-mandated secondary shuffle continues. Six DBs (including five who started at least one game this season) are now on I.R., so they’re left with rookie third-round pick Ellis Hobbs starting opposite Asante Samuel at CB. Former Bengals/Panthers CB Artrell Hawkins, signed three weeks ago, has started the last two games at strong safety; Eugene Wilson is the FS. While New England may have gotten better against the run lately, opposing QBs have thrown for 21 touchdowns versus 6 interceptions; only Houston and Oakland have picked off fewer passes this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Last week, Adam Vinatieri’s second field goal against the Jets pushed him past Boston Patriot great Gino Cappelletti to become the franchise’s all-time leading scorer. He’s having another steady season - 14-15 from inside 40 yards, 17-22 overall. Josh Miller leads the league in gross punting, averaging 46.7 yards/kick. (Brian Moorman and Tampa Bay’s Josh Bidwell are tied for second with a 46.1 average.) Miller’s 39.5 net average ranks #2 behind the Chargers’ Mike Scifres.

Tim Dwight, Bethel Johnson, and Ellis Hobbs have all taken a turn at KR, but none has had a real impact this season. Dwight has done a decent job at PR, averaging 8.7 yards/return. Although they have yet to give up a touchdown return, the coverage units are average at best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUTLOOK:

The most galling part of what has turned into another lost season? It seemed like the Super Bowl-era Bills teams almost always managed to find a way to win the close games – when it came down to crunch time, someone would make a big play to turn the tide in our favor.

The 2005 Bills are the antithesis of those resilient Levy-coached squads; they’ve blown halftime leads in three of their eight losses this season, and the ineptitude of their red-zone offense (ranked 30th in the league) is exceeded only by their red-zone D (dead last).

Up until about 3:30 last Sunday afternoon, I liked Buffalo’s chances in this game. But after the “Miami Meltdown” and the ensuing chaos at One Bills Drive, I honestly have no idea what kind of team the Bills are going to put on the field this weekend. Can they regroup from such a gut-wrenching defeat, or has the run-for-the-bus mentality already begun to set in? And what the heck is the deal between the head coach and the franchise’s #2 all-time leading receiver, anyway?

Maybe we’ll find out by late Sunday afternoon...

And if New England manages to take an early lead, things could get ugly. Really ugly.

Links:

NFL.com: injury report / Patriots depth chart /Patriots team stats

Ourlads.com: Patriots depth chart

Official team website: Patriots.com

http://bostonsportsmedia.com

http://www.patsfans.com

524750[/snapback]

Lori, Thanx for the post about upcoming game since all the other posts are just the same ranting.

Up until about 3:30 last Sunday afternoon, I liked Buffalo’s chances in this game. But after the “Miami Meltdown” and the ensuing chaos at One Bills Drive, I honestly have no idea what kind of team the Bills are going to put on the field this weekend.

524750[/snapback]

Can you imagine if this type of honest opinion was offered at ONE Bills Drive?

You might get benched or even suspended! :)

524750[/snapback]

Perhaps it's no "coincidence" that mas Lee Evans and no mas Eric Moulds gets it's first full-time look at home, against a wounded divisional secondary. A win by the young'uns might go far in creating a postive outlook for the offensive unit going into the 2006 season.

I had a good feeling about the 1st NE game...I thought we would represent...but, probably not win...and that's what happened. Again, after the blowout at San Diego, I thought we'd play better against Carolina...we did. (WooHoo...look at me, I was right. :) )

My POINT is...I don't have that same feeling for this game. Perhaps I'm numb...but, this is a team in desperate trouble now and you never can tell how that desperation will reveal itself.

Lori, as always, first class job! Thanks

You forgot to include the mob gathering with torches and pitchforks in your preview.  :flirt:

I'll bring my lighter to Lot 1.

524756[/snapback]

Put me down for a couple bags of marshmallows..... :D

At this point in time, I'd like to point out that the Bills have a lifetime losing record to ALL our divisional rivals. Coincidence? I think not.

524791[/snapback]

Sounds good, but it's not true - including playoff games the Bills are 50-40 against the Jets, and were 34-28-1 versus the Colts before they left for the AFC South.

Sounds good, but it's not true - including playoff games the Bills are 50-40 against the Jets, and were 34-28-1 versus the Colts before they left for the AFC South.

526432[/snapback]

Joe doesn't deal with reality unless iit deals with scavaging bottles to get more beer (for those who wonder why JSP is a fan and doesn't go to games, it because of NY recycling laws and he DOES go to the stadium to collect bottles during game) so do not try educating him.

Thanks for the breakdown and I'll be bringing Genese Beer to put out mob's torches in Lot 1, Pole 5. Only good use of Genese Beer IMO.

Joe doesn't deal with reality unless iit deals with scavaging bottles to get more beer (for those who wonder why JSP is a fan and doesn't go to games, it because of NY recycling laws and he DOES go to the stadium to collect bottles during game) so do not try educating him.

527102[/snapback]

WOW! And I thought I was a cheap-shot artist. :huh:

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or appalled. <_<

Nice job/Low Blow, Casper (er...Phunky Fantom)...I think. :lol:

Thanks for the breakdown and I'll be bringing Genese Beer to put out mob's torches in Lot 1, Pole 5.  Only good use of Genese Beer IMO.

527102[/snapback]

was wondering whty he said he has no chice in being a bills fan. fans like him can go cheer for anyone else please.