Is this franchise circling the drain?

Bob Matthews, on his WHAM talk show, went on about how messed up the Bills are at many levels...from relations with veteran players, to the working atmosphere at One Bills Drive under TD. He really got me thinking that Tom Donahoe is a "Captain Queeg" type of leader, more worried about who took his strawberries that building a winner. It will be nearly impossible to rebuild this team with the cloud over it that Donahoe generates. If he had any honor, he would admit his mistakes and resign, but how likely is that to happen?

PTR

Add people like Ruben Brown (Chicago fans say he has been great), Glenn Parker (MVP at the time according to many at KC), etc who media and fans (the fans were often following media like rats followed Pied Piper) also bashed.

I would never retire just because a bunch of fans and media who together (other than Simon, Lori and a few others) do not know as much about the game as him.

Most of the media people are talking about are butts of running jokes on the wall most days but because they have expressed an opinion which some people agree with, now their opinions are treated like the clothes the Emperor wore and have as much substance

Just like people (including media) who said that Bledsoe was all washed up and should retire because he can't play in the NFL anymore?

Just playing devil's advocate.

524508[/snapback]

Now you know I have always been a Bledsoe supporter. Living down here in Cowboy country, I can tell you, the last two weeks, the fans and media down here have started turning on Bledsoe...local sportsradio guy, yesterday, was blasting Parcells for "waisting our time" with Bledsoe, when he should be developing a QB who "will take the Cowboys" somewhere....he was even referred to by one caller as "stonehenge". It's like deja vu all over again! :devil:

Now you know I have always been a Bledsoe supporter.  Living down here in Cowboy country, I can tell you, the last two weeks, the fans and media down here have started turning on Bledsoe...local sportsradio guy, yesterday, was blasting Parcells for "waisting our time" with Bledsoe, when he should be developing a QB who "will take the Cowboys" somewhere....he was even referred to by one caller as "stonehenge".  It's like deja vu all over again! :devil:

524519[/snapback]

Yeah, that would further illustrate how people are lemmings to sports talk/news/media.

CW

Now you know I have always been a Bledsoe supporter.  Living down here in Cowboy country, I can tell you, the last two weeks, the fans and media down here have started turning on Bledsoe...local sportsradio guy, yesterday, was blasting Parcells for "waisting our time" with Bledsoe, when he should be developing a QB who "will take the Cowboys" somewhere....he was even referred to by one caller as "stonehenge".  It's like deja vu all over again! :devil:

524519[/snapback]

LOL......stonehenge......now THAT is funny! :D

People who think Bledsoe magically turned into a different QB were blinded by wishful thinking. His bad habits and inabilities are still bad habits and inabilities. Just cause he went to be with Parcells again doesn't change that. Dallas fans are going to realize the same thing that both NE and BUF realized....he can't win the big game.

524519[/snapback]

It's been the same old down in Big D. Bledsoe's just had an easy schedule.

Bledsoe is still the same old Drew. A good QB, hell of an arm, but slows down toward the end of the season, and cant win the big clutch games. That was his MO in NE, and i thought he could change here, but he didnt. Hes still that same Drew. Dallas is now learning this fact, after thinking Parcells could "fix" him.

Bledsoe is still the same old Drew. A good QB, hell of an arm, but slows down toward the end of the season, and cant win the big clutch games. That was his  MO in NE, and i thought he could change here, but he didnt. Hes still that same Drew. Dallas is now learning this fact, after thinking Parcells could "fix" him.

524541[/snapback]

Sorry, I didn't mean to make this a Drew thread.

Let's focus on what Glenn said instead, and forget DB:

"Add people like Ruben Brown (Chicago fans say he has been great), Glenn Parker (MVP at the time according to many at KC), etc who media and fans (the fans were often following media like rats followed Pied Piper) also bashed."

Fans around here raise the pitchforks at the slightest negative. To be honest, I wonder if the 90s Bills would've been able to have such great success in today's day and age, what with all the fan and media frenzy over the littlest things.

CW

LOL......stonehenge......now THAT is funny!  :devil:

People who think Bledsoe magically turned into a different QB were blinded by wishful thinking. His bad habits and inabilities are still bad habits and inabilities. Just cause he went to be with Parcells again doesn't change that. Dallas fans are going to realize the same thing that both NE and BUF realized....he can't win the big game.

524525[/snapback]

Wait just a second! Wasn't drew the NFC's top rated passer going into week 11? There's got to be some bullets left in the ol' gun.

Bob Matthews, on his WHAM talk show, went on about how messed up the Bills are at many levels...from relations with veteran players, to the working atmosphere at One Bills Drive under TD.  He really got me thinking that Tom Donahoe is a "Captain Queeg" type of leader, more worried about who took his strawberries that building a winner.  It will be nearly impossible to rebuild this team with the cloud over it that Donahoe generates.  If he had any honor, he would admit his mistakes and resign, but how likely is that to happen?

PTR

524503[/snapback]

I don't know that there is any honor in surrendering and firing yourself. I think the honorable thing is to keep fighting to be better until you are relieved of your duty - which I do think that Donahoe is doing, depite his mistakes with Williams and Mularkey.

JDG

Add people like Ruben Brown (Chicago fans say he has been great), Glenn Parker (MVP at the time according to many at KC), etc who media and fans (the fans were often following media like rats followed Pied Piper) also bashed.

524517[/snapback]

I agree with the gist of your post Glen, although sometimes, at least with the Buffalo media, I am not so sure the it isn't the fans who are the Pied Pipers, and the media the rats...

LOL......stonehenge......now THAT is funny!  :)

524525[/snapback]

Too bad--cuz drew is a great guy. But he is doing what we thought Drew would do-behind a better line and with a slighty better team. he is a pretty good QB who just isnt all there the way GOOD quarterback should be. -Just enough to drive the Dallas fans and media a bit nuts after getting their expectations up. -You are right--same thing NE BUFF and now BIG D.

Too bad--cuz drew is a great guy. But he is doing what we thought Drew would do-behind a better line and with a slighty better team. he is a pretty good QB who just isnt all there the way GOOD quarterback should be. -Just enough to drive the Dallas fans and media a bit nuts after getting their expectations up. -You are right--same thing NE BUFF and now BIG D.

524699[/snapback]

Yep....and if you look at his QB rating for each year he's played, you'll see a little 'bump' the first year he played here, just like he'll have a bump this year in Dallas.....but ultimately the guys rating will end up pretty close to where it does year after year. Line or no line, he is what he is.

I'm just glad that JP is showing progress.....he's about the only bright spot left this season for gosh sakes......I still can't believe things have gone how they have. I really thought we'd be playing in January this year.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make this a Drew thread. 

Let's focus on what Glenn said instead, and forget DB:

"Add people like Ruben Brown (Chicago fans say he has been great), Glenn Parker (MVP at the time according to many at KC), etc who media and fans (the fans were often following media like rats followed Pied Piper) also bashed."

Fans around here raise the pitchforks at the slightest negative.  To be honest, I wonder if the 90s Bills would've been able to have such great success in today's day and age, what with all the fan and media frenzy over the littlest things.

CW

524547[/snapback]

I don't know...The Bickering Bills thing was pretty Big News, seemed like people were using that forever...But that did not seem to derail that Team much...

But when you Win like those Teams Won, Fan support in Western NY will always be favorable, no matter the frenzy...Now...no question those Teams spoiled us as Bills fans a bit, which may be why the reaction to adversity is as strong as it has been the past few years...

But that 88 and on Era Team was just flat out good...I think they could have Won big in any City, under any Fan or Media pressure...And Marv was the perfect Head Coach for the personalities...He kept that Team Focused on the job... :)

I would never retire just because a bunch of fans and media who together (other than Simon, Lori and a few others) do not know as much about the game as him.

Most of the media people are talking about are butts of running jokes on the wall most days but because they have expressed an opinion which some people agree with, now their opinions are treated like the clothes the Emperor wore and have as much substance

524517[/snapback]

Glenn, it's good to see you post here a bit more these days. Yet, how dare you throw Ruben Brown in our faces? He was skewered here for being a pro-bowl player only because of past rep. Never mind that his peers also took part in his formerly annual election. We got Anderson and Villerial now. We're........ :) ....doomed?

Ruben Brown was the first Bill who had a serious issue with the new regime, IIRC. He left Buffalo unceremoniously but to his credit, he has played had solid play for the Bears, something we haven't seen from our guards since he left. Villerial, when healthy is adequate but surely no great talent and it appears this "over 30" guy is starting to break down (he's had numerous nagging injuries all year too). No comment is needed with any of the other "bum of the week" types we've thrown in there this year.

Peters may develop into a player, and has great athleticism for a big man, but he's not there yet. His pass blocking has been adequate with signs of being good, yet his run blocking to date hasn't impressed me. He routinuely seems to get beat on the run, at least from what I see. Yet, he at least is the only O-line guy we have that seems to have an visible upside. He may yet be our LT next year. Gandy, has been mostly solid and serviceable. Maybe he should play the RT position or move in to guard. Anderson should be shot, plain and simple. Teague I feel is adequate, and may never be more than that, but I'd like to see what he'd look like if he didn't have a stiff right next to him on both sides. Anderson should have been cut weeks ago and replaced with Tucker (yes, sign him for the rest of the year), and keep him next year as a center/guard backup if healthy. Tucker at least played with fire, even if he wasn't the most talented guard to come down the road.

Mike Williams? He was a pick that no one in football questioned when it was made. Yet, he has really disappointed this year, beginning with his nagging injuries and now the attempt to move him to guard. Late last year, he was playing pretty well and many thought he was finally arriving, but he has taken a well documented huge step backwards this year. It just seems that he lacks the fire one would like to see.

Converting him to guard in mid stream simply doesn't make sense. It's not like he's played that position before either. I'd love for that switch to succeed, but he's in a real tight spot this off season. I see a substantial renegotiation of his contract or we will probably waive goodbye to Big Mike.

Will Preston be of any help down the road? I hope so, but his reported "mean streak" has yet to provide any positive results when he's been in there so far. Next year will be his big test to see if he can step up to become a player, or will simply fade away.

Our defensive line gives me even greater concern. We have three stiffs playing and one talented but undersized end (Schobel). I still feel Adams is very talented, but I've already colored him gone.

Fans around here raise the pitchforks at the slightest negative.  To be honest, I wonder if the 90s Bills would've been able to have such great success in today's day and age, what with all the fan and media frenzy over the littlest things.

CW

524547[/snapback]

May I say that you and Glenn are complere !@#$s for calling out fans who have had to endure a span of 6 years of HORRIBLE football.

We have every right to be pissed off at the current administration. They've done nothing to earn respect.

May I say that you and Glenn are complere !@#$s for calling out fans who have had to endure a span of 6 years of HORRIBLE football.

We have every right to be pissed off at the current administration. They've done nothing to earn respect.

524780[/snapback]

Yeah, but the fans are being pissed and MAKING STUFF UP. The Moulds thing is the perfect example -- it started with, "Assuming Moulds complained about not getting the ball," and has escalated to, "He sucks, get rid of the bum, he should shut his mouth!" Nobody even knows what really happened, but people here are assuming they do and it's ridiculous.

And even when we were winning last year, people were STILL complaining. I remember we crushed Arizona and people were complaining that it wasn't by enough points! If you read this board last year but didn't follow the team, you'd never know we were 9-7.

And I'd hardly call the last six years "HORRIBLE football." Again, 9-7 last year is hardly horrible, not that you could tell by what you read here.

CW

PS: Were you being sarcastic with your response? If so, I missed it and I appologize.

Yeah, but the fans are being pissed and MAKING STUFF UP.  The Moulds thing is the perfect example -- it started with, "Assuming Moulds complained about not getting the ball," and has escalated to, "He sucks, get rid of the bum, he should shut his mouth!"  Nobody even knows what really happened, but people here are assuming they do and it's ridiculous.

And even when we were winning last year, people were STILL complaining.  I remember we crushed Arizona and people were complaining that it wasn't by enough points!  If you read this board last year but didn't follow the team, you'd never know we were 9-7.

And I'd hardly call the last six years "HORRIBLE football."  Again, 9-7 last year is hardly horrible, not that you could tell by what you read here.

CW

PS: Were you being sarcastic with your response?  If so, I missed it and I appologize.

524820[/snapback]

One very large point I think people are missing with the "fans are a complaining whiny bunch". One a fan has every right to be critical, especially those with tickets, whether they are seasons or individual game tickets. I also have a right to complain as I spend $250 every stinking year to see Bills game on the tube.

Now, in Buffalo one must also appreciate the fact that while people are bitching and moaning, they are still passiionate about the team, fill up the stadium every week, and buy more Bills gear than they prolly should. Dam, seems everybody in that town has Bills gear, and wears it everywhere. So quit with the everybody should just shut up , be happy stuff. Thats what makes sports fun. And yes, I should have the aqbility to hindsight some TD decisions, cause I DO NOT get paid to make them. When the amount of bad decisions outweighs the amount of good decsions, your time for getting paid to amke them should end.

Now on to your point about people complaining we were not winning by enough points, don't buty it. Now, I rememeber plenty of people( me included, and before I started coming here) complaining in GWs last year that we couldn't run the ball and that that would come back to haunt us, and we saying that even after the massive Pats victory and the Jacksonville win. Saying that you see a flaw in the team that will come back to haunt you down the line is complelety differant than saying we did not win by enough.

One very large point I think people are missing with the "fans are a complaining whiny bunch". One a fan has every right to be critical, especially those with tickets, whether they are seasons or individual game tickets. I also have a right to complain as I spend $250 every stinking year to see Bills game on the tube.

Complaining and lynch mob are two different things.

CW