(OT)Beer and Popcorn...

Take a bite and a couple of chews of a milk chocolate bar and follow it with a swig. You will retract that goes-with-everything... :flirt:

525197[/snapback]

Beer and chocolate go together. Hell, some people specifically add chocolate flavoring when they brew their beer.

Beer and chocolate go together. Hell, some people specifically add chocolate flavoring when they brew their beer.

525228[/snapback]

I wasn't taking about incorporation into a brew. I suppose with proper technique, chicken manure as an additive might work out well.

All I can say is take a bite of the Hershey bar then take a swig. A foamy experience ensues.

Scotch Ale with French Onion soup? I do not see that pairing that well. I am thinking a hopped-up English Brown Ale would be a better fit (depending on how salty the soup is). Unless I am thinking of a different style, isn't a Scotch Ale a little too smokey for that type of soup (at least the Scotch Ales I have tried)?

525169[/snapback]

I don't have a lot of experience brewing Scotch ales, but it's my impression that the malt sweetness dominates the flavor with low hop bitterness and flavor. I think that you can add a small amount of smoked malt to the grain bill but I have also heard that certain yeast strains can impart a slightly smokey character by themselves. I do agree that this style probably wouldn't be a good pairing with French Onion soup though. A hopped-up English brown would actually be an American brown ale, a style invented by hop loving home brewers back in the 80's.

Speaking of smokey beers, I brewed a smoked porter last month that is almost ready to tap. I tasted a sample while racking to secondary and it was delicious, it very similar to an Alaskan smoked porter which is what I was aiming for.

I don't have a lot of experience brewing Scotch ales, but it's my impression that the malt sweetness dominates the flavor with low hop bitterness and flavor.  I think that you can add a small amount of smoked malt to the grain bill but I have also heard that certain yeast strains can impart a slightly smokey character by themselves.  I do agree that this style probably wouldn't be a good pairing with French Onion soup though.  A hopped-up English brown would actually be an American brown ale, a style invented by hop loving home brewers back in the 80's.

Speaking of smokey beers, I brewed a smoked porter last month that is almost ready to tap.  I tasted a sample while racking to secondary and it was delicious, it very similar to an Alaskan smoked porter which is what I was aiming for.

525279[/snapback]

Tha Scotch Ale I had was very smokey (to the point which I could not drink it).

I bottled an amber last weekend. It was the first recipe I created from scratch (I'll have to send the recipe to you). It tasted pretty good out of secondary (color was good, as well), so I am looking forward to trying it around Christmas. I am almost out of my first batch (Amber) and have about half of the Beligan trippel left. I need to get brewing. I will brew a Belgian wit around Christmas, followed by a Chimay Blue clone. I would love to do a rye, but I do not have the equipment for AG.

Tha Scotch Ale I had was very smokey (to the point which I could not drink it).

I bottled an amber last weekend. It was the first recipe I created from scratch (I'll have to send the recipe to you). It tasted pretty good out of secondary (color was good, as well), so I am looking forward to trying it around Christmas. I am almost out of my first batch (Amber) and have about half of the Beligan trippel left. I need to get brewing. I will brew a Belgian wit around Christmas, followed by a Chimay Blue clone. I would love to do a rye, but I do not have the equipment for AG.

525333[/snapback]

It's amazing how quickly to homebrew can disappear isn't it? Since I don't have as much time to brew as I used to I upgraded my system this year so that I can do 10 gallon boils. This change has allowed me to keep up the homebrew supply for the most part. I brewed an American Amber a few months ago, it was actually a Fat Tire clone. It turned out ok, but it wasnt all that close to Fat Tire from what I remember of it. I'd like to see the recipe for your Amber though. I may not waste my time with the Bills game this week and brew a Belgian dubbel instead.

It's amazing how quickly to homebrew can disappear isn't it?  Since I don't have as much time to brew as I used to I upgraded my system this year so that I can do 10 gallon boils.  This change has allowed me to keep up the homebrew supply for the most part.  I brewed an American Amber a few months ago, it was actually a Fat Tire clone.  It turned out ok, but it wasnt all that close to Fat Tire from what I remember of it.  I'd like to see the recipe for your Amber though.  I may not waste my time with the Bills game this week and brew a Belgian dubbel instead.

526382[/snapback]

I saw a recipe for Poor Richard's Ale and I am inspired. I might brew it this weekend, if I can get the ingredients. That would push the Belgian Wit off until January.

I will send you the amber recipe this weekend. I am trying to brew it to competition specs, so I would like to get your opinion.