Outcry at Hong Kong Disneyland

Chilly

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/news/...0dm020000c.html

I swear to god this is what the article says

524310[/snapback]

In another life, I did environmental remediation work, soil cleanup. I was involved in the dioxin and heavy metals clean up of the Cheoy Lee shipyards, where the Disney park was built. Had I known they were going to pee on it anyway, I could have bid a better profit margin.

Well, take a look at what they do to the mainland's rivers --- their fuggin' drinking water --- combined with the fact that SE Asia is fast becoming the world's bacteria/disease trap.

And then shudder as you realize that it's just a matter of time before they're the world's next superpower.

:devil:

Uhhh..."becoming"?  They have been for hundreds of years, for reasons having little to do with Chinese sanitation practices.

524351[/snapback]

Southern Africa has given them a run for the money, tho, is what demanded the qualifier. Ebola, HIV/AIDS, monkeypox, etc. But at least those govts recently haven't actively refuted that they have a problem despite all evidence to the contrary and have been asking for help. Or is this flat wrong?

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/news/...0dm020000c.html

I swear to god this is what the article says

524310[/snapback]

pissing and spitting everywhere?

I guess that would be okay in the Pirates of the Carribean, but on Space Mountian, that could mean many people would be getting their first golden shower.

Southern Africa has given them a run for the money, tho, is what demanded the qualifier. Ebola, HIV/AIDS, monkeypox, etc. But at least those govts recently haven't actively refuted that they have a problem despite all evidence to the contrary and have been asking for help. Or is this flat wrong?

524372[/snapback]

Well...it's not exactly right...my disagreement is that infectious agents simply exist, and have existed for centuries in their own genetic ecology with its own environmental stressors irrespective of what happens in our macro ecology and society. The two main infectious exports from Southeast Asia - cholera and influenza - have existed for centuries, long before you decided SE Asia was the world's "disease trap". Ditto HIV and Ebola (either of which can be tracked genetically to before their first epidemioligical descriptions). Ditto illnesses like Legionaire's - which "emerged" in Philadelphia - or Toxic Shock Syndrome (American midwest) or necrotizing fasciitis (Yorkshire, I believe) or Lassa (which was "discovered" because of virulent epidemics...and later found to have been causing benign "fevers of unknown origin" for years). Sanitation practices in SE Asia (and public health practices in sub-Saharan Africa) certainly don't help...but implicit in your statement is the idea that, if they cleaned up their acts, emerging diseases would somehow stop...which is patently untrue.

In another life, I did environmental remediation work, soil cleanup. I was involved in the dioxin and heavy metals clean up of the Cheoy Lee shipyards, where the Disney park was built. Had I known they were going to pee on it anyway, I could have bid a better profit margin.

524333[/snapback]

Small world. I was involved with remediation research with a local university 10 years ago.

I was the hated Safety/Hazardous waste control sap.

I despised working in the public sector. I despise the contrived field of Environmental Engineering...they'de have better quality of data if they used tarot cards.

But I like barley a lot.

Small world. I was involved with remediation research with a local university 10 years ago.

I was the hated Safety/Hazardous waste control sap.

I despised working in the public sector. I despise the contrived field of Environmental Engineering...they'de have better quality of data if they used tarot cards.

But I like barley a lot.

526332[/snapback]

We were going to use an indirect thermal desorbtion unit with a secondary AB to handle the dioxins and the hydrocarbons, with a back end cyclone and baghouse to cut down on waste bulk. I was going to run the output through a pug with basically a portland mix to stabilize the metals, which would have given the building contractor an incredible sub-base product. I was teamed with Gammon-Skanska for the bid, we unfortunately lost. More of how business gets done in China, than anything wrong with our bid. Very Maciavellian. But I DID get to spend more than a month in Hong Kong, with excellent hosts with a lot of money. Darlene got to spend the trip with me. Good, good times. And happy memories.

We were going to use an indirect thermal desorbtion unit with a secondary AB to handle the dioxins and the hydrocarbons, with a back end cyclone and baghouse to cut down on waste bulk. I was going to run the output through a pug with basically a portland mix to stabilize the metals, which would have given the building contractor an incredible sub-base product. I was teamed with Gammon-Skanska for the bid, we unfortunately lost. More of how business gets done in China, than anything wrong with our bid. Very Maciavellian. But I DID get to spend more than a month in Hong Kong, with excellent hosts with a lot of money. Darlene got to spend the trip with me. Good, good times. And happy memories.

526585[/snapback]

What's an "indirect" thermal desorbtion unit? What about halogenated compound condensation in piping. Langmuir isotherms...

What was the primary thermal destructor? Baghouses collect dust, but what dust? Assayed?

BTW, lead is soluble in alkaline media, i.e portland cement, fly ash etc. Not good stabilization...

But I like barley. <_<

What's an "indirect" thermal desorbtion unit? What about halogenated compound condensation in piping.  Langmuir isotherms...

What was the primary thermal destructor? Baghouses collect dust, but what dust?  Assayed?

BTW, lead is soluble in alkaline media, i.e portland cement, fly ash etc. Not good stabilization...

But I like barley. :D

526611[/snapback]

And you know my plan would work. ashole. Desorb the halogens, and run the dust through the baghouse, basically to cut down the residual bulk, which would have to be bid for disposal.

An indirect is basicallly a kiln within a kiln. I've run direct fired thermals before. For a haz waste project, no way do they meet the bill.

Baghouse for dust? we're talking soil remediation. I can't believe you'd even ask that. Even without metals stabe, you have to run the dirt through a pugmill just to keep the dust down.

And you know my plan would work. ashole. Desorb the halogens, and run the dust through the baghouse, basically to cut down the residual bulk, which would have to be bid for disposal.

An indirect is basicallly a kiln within a kiln. I've run direct fired thermals before. For a haz waste project, no way do they meet the bill.

Baghouse for dust? we're talking soil remediation. I can't believe you'd even ask that. Even without metals stabe, you have to run the dirt through a pugmill just to keep the dust down.

526698[/snapback]

Sorry - My end-of-day Old Milwaukee ramblings trying to recall dim, past memories.

Sorry - My end-of-day Old Milwaukee ramblings trying to recall dim, past memories.

527008[/snapback]

But we both like Barley. :D

One can still use portland on lead, depending on the concentrations. Just have to run TCLP on your test batch to make sure to get the ad-mixture right. Even though there is some destruction, they bind into the matrix on both a macro and micro level. More of an encapsulation than a chemical stabilization. Even works with some organics. Everything is still there, but it's been demobilized. No one really cares what's actually IN the soil, as long as it isn't mobile or leachable. With the indirect thermal system we were proposing, the dioxins aren't destroyed completely, but are desorbed and collected in a condensor, which concentrates them into drum sized loads for later disposal. By cycling through a baghouse, the residual bulk can be cut by a huge factor, leaving less drums to get rid of.

Sorry if you mistook my tone, thought we were screwing with each other in fun.