Can any of you ladies recommend a good

OnTheRocks

Total crazyness! I went to a place called JoAnn Fabrics today.

(Aussie....ever heard of that store?) JoAnn Fabrics

They had machines that ranged in price $100.00 to $2000.00+

I knew there were some wild crazy machines that were computorized but I had no idea just how crazy.

She wants something that I am guessing would be in the $200 - $300 range.

She likes to make her own dresses and jumpers and outfits for the nephews and nieces. Sometimes she wants to make curtains but nothing exotic and super fancy that requires the bells and whistles.

Mrs. OTR put that on top of her Christmas Wish List.

I have no clue.      :devil:

524015[/snapback]

Aussiew gave good advice. One of my sisters-in-law is a gifted seamstress. It's not a job, just something she enjoys and does well. My brother wanted to get here a new machine to replace the old thing she was using, so he went to a reputable, old-time sewing shop and got her a gift certificate for 300 bucks or so.

Wrap the gift certificate together with a bar of some fancy chocolate like Godiva, for under the tree!

Aussie and Cincy and LanaK6 had good advice. If you get a GC to Joanne Fabrics, she would have a field day, however do not discount checking out Wal-Mart/Target etc for Sewing Machines, got my wife one from Wally World 7-10 years ago and it is still going strong

Aussie and Cincy had good advice.  If you get the certificate she might like the idea of picking one out herself.

524111[/snapback]

My wife recommends Singer machines - long history and reliable. She is a professional seamstress with more than 30 years experience and eight machines.

Doing clothes are fine but if she does anything more than LIGHT curtains she will need a heavy duty machine. You probably can buy one online (watch return policy and shipping) but the best source if you can find one is a tailor supply store; in many communities with immigrants they often selling sewing machines, thread, fabric, do repairs and often sell other household goods.

Send me a PM if you need more info.

Yep. Singer is probably the best brand. (G.Host and I aren't ladies, either :devil:)

But if you want to be safe, go with the gift certificate and let her decide, as apparently she'd know more about what she's looking for than you. When she opens it, you can explain that you heard about Singer but wanted to leave it up to her on such a buy. $200-300 is an expensive "But I really wanted one that'll...." buy.

Isn't ANYONE going to give OTR some s#it for the sexist nature of his post?

"Can you ladies recommend" WTF is that? I'll have you know that some of the best tailors in the world are MEN.

With that said, I have no advice. Maybe one of the Bills broads will know something.

Isn't ANYONE going to give OTR some s#it for the sexist nature of his post?

"Can you ladies recommend"  WTF is that?  I'll have you know that some of the best tailors in the world are MEN.

524356[/snapback]

No I am not going to for I know he included you in that reference.

From MY experience the heavier the machine the better the machine; this is from someone who had to carry a machine from Hong Kong.

My wife recommends Singer machines - long history and reliable.  She is a professional seamstress with more than 30 years experience and eight machines.

Doing clothes are fine but if she does anything more than LIGHT curtains she will need a heavy duty machine.  You probably can buy one online (watch return policy and shipping) but the best source if you can find one is a tailor supply store; in many communities with immigrants they often selling sewing machines, thread, fabric, do repairs and often sell other household goods.

Send me a PM if you need more info.

524309[/snapback]

"My wife recommends.." sure it was :flirt: