Snotty Kids in Restuarants

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this guy. This problem is getting worse. And it's not the kid's fault - they don't know any better.

I'm not sure why today's little kids have to "play" when they go out to eat. Is it because no one is sitting down to eat dinner at home any more? Are children not being taught to sit quietly and eat from an early age? Are they not being taught table manners?

I'm also seeing that children now have the run of the house, the restaurants, other people's houses and the grocery store. What ever happened to playpens? We were put in them for a little while each day and it taught us to respect boundaries. It also kept us out of harm's way while our Mom was taking a shower or cooking a meal.

Parents on this wall, please, for your children's sake, teach them boundaries and start it very early. It will pay off a hundred fold when they become teens.

I agree with this guy.  This problem is getting worse. And it's not the kid's fault - they don't know any better.

I'm not sure why today's little kids have to "play" when they go out to eat.  Is it because no one is sitting down to eat dinner at home any more?  Are children not being taught to sit quietly and eat from an early age?  Are they not being taught table manners?

I'm also seeing that children now have the run of the house, the restaurants, other people's houses and the grocery store.  What ever happened to playpens? We were put in them for a little while each day and it taught us to respect boundaries. It also kept us out of harm's way while our Mom was taking a shower or cooking a meal.

Parents on this wall, please, for your children's sake, teach them boundaries and start it very early.  It will pay off a hundred fold when they become teens.

522487[/snapback]

I agree as well. I don't have kids...but when I go out anywhere and see kids bouncing off the walls (and not infrequently off me), I can still reflect back to the beating I would have received at that age had I acted up like that in public. At what point in the past thirty years did that behavior become acceptable?

I agree as well.  I don't have kids...but when I go out anywhere and see kids bouncing off the walls (and not infrequently off me), I can still reflect back to the beating I would have received at that age had I acted up like that in public.  At what point in the past thirty years did that behavior become acceptable?

522548[/snapback]

I think it started when everyone wanted to be a friend to their children, instead of a parent to their children. :D

CW

I can still reflect back to the beating I would have received at that age had I acted up like that in public.  At what point in the past thirty years did that behavior become acceptable?

522548[/snapback]

Because beating kids is the answer. Beating is the easy way out. It just takes being involved. Something most people these days don't want to be.

I agree with this guy.  This problem is getting worse. And it's not the kid's fault - they don't know any better.

I'm not sure why today's little kids have to "play" when they go out to eat.  Is it because no one is sitting down to eat dinner at home any more?  Are children not being taught to sit quietly and eat from an early age?  Are they not being taught table manners?

I'm also seeing that children now have the run of the house, the restaurants, other people's houses and the grocery store.  What ever happened to playpens? We were put in them for a little while each day and it taught us to respect boundaries. It also kept us out of harm's way while our Mom was taking a shower or cooking a meal.

Parents on this wall, please, for your children's sake, teach them boundaries and start it very early.  It will pay off a hundred fold when they become teens.

522487[/snapback]

an even greater problem i have experienced with my nephews and nieces (who believe it or not do behave properly)....they sit quitely and act appropriately,.....and the server looks at them and asks them, "is everything alright?" Like they think there is something wrong with them because they are behaving.

Because beating kids is the answer.  Beating is the easy way out.  It just takes being involved.  Something most people these days don't want to be.

522565[/snapback]

actually a good balance of peronsal involvement and beating is the best approach.

Worked with my generation.

522593[/snapback]

Who's to say that it did? Maybe you could have achieved more in life had you not been hit. Since you used the term beating I'm assuming we're not talking about a spanking here or there, but actual hitting. I'm not trying to say I'm any kind of super father, far from it, but I haven't been in a situation with my son where I have felt the need to physically punish him and I'm constantly getting comments on how well behaved he is.

I'm not talking about paddling, but a good swat on the ass. People who dont spank their kids end up with brats who have the run of the house, restaurant, etc. Your parents are not your friends, they are parents.

I'm not talking about paddling, but a good swat on the ass. People who dont spank their kids end up with brats who have the run of the house, restaurant, etc.  Your parents are not your friends, they are parents.

522667[/snapback]

And people who spank their kids end up with violent kids who believe physicality is the anwer to conflict.

Huh, I wonder who is right? :D:D

Worked with my generation.

522593[/snapback]

My father never had to raise a hand. Seriously, he had to yell a few times, but most of the time a stern glare would straighten me out. I'll have to ask him how he perfected that.

522487[/snapback]

Yea, as a parent of two relatively young children I really like the parents who dispense advice to me that they did not heed when they were in my shoes.

I really find it funny that they "found jesus" so to speak and now feel compelled to tell me how to parent based on what they "wished they did".

That is absolutely classic and appalling at the same time.

And I agree with the author by the way, you can be a strong parent (and not spank) and have well behaved children in a restaurant. That is a fair expectation.

I read that Abby yesterday (ashamed to admit it). My thought was she missed one piece of important advice...to the person who wrote the letter! Don't go to "family restaurants" if you can't tolerate ill behaved kids. I know that doesn't address the root problem, but it will help solve the issue for the writer. I do not go to "family restaurants" because (among other things) I can't take ill-behaved children, NOR do I want to watch parents dicipline their children publicly, fight with one another or any of the histrionics involved with the typical dysfunctional family. Plus, the food in those places tends to be crappy. :D

I agree as well.  I don't have kids...but when I go out anywhere and see kids bouncing off the walls (and not infrequently off me), I can still reflect back to the beating I would have received at that age had I acted up like that in public.  At what point in the past thirty years did that behavior become acceptable?

522548[/snapback]

My dad was not afraid to smack us on the head if we miss-behaved in public. Of course I never acted up in public so never had the experience of being smacked in public. :D

And people who spank their kids end up with violent kids who believe physicality is the anwer to conflict.

Huh, I wonder who is right? :D  :D

522681[/snapback]

No, not all will grow up that way. I was spanked as a kid, and I'm not violent now. Why? Because looking back, whenever I was spanked, I definitely deserved it for what I did.

No, not all will grow up that way. I was spanked as a kid, and I'm not violent now. Why? Because looking back, whenever I was spanked, I definitely deserved it for what I did.

522805[/snapback]

I was spanked and grew up to be a generally happy adult with a tendency to vanquish my enemies and flirt with waitresses.

522487[/snapback]

Sorry about Katherine barfing on you. :D We just couldn't get her to settle down. Too much sugar prolly.