The Hank Bullough factor

Remember in the mid-80's when Hank replaced Kay Stephenson and the players sabotaged him?

Maybe that's what we're seeing here. The players recognize that poor decisions are being made and have made up their minds that their not going to go out of their way to make things successful.

I remember hearing the story about Bruce Smith, when the heat was really hot on Hank B, going into the huddle and telling the defense that "...whomever makes the tackle is going to get the sh-- beat out of 'em"

...ahh those were the days.

Remember in the mid-80's when Hank replaced Kay Stephenson and the players sabotaged him?

Maybe that's what we're seeing here. The players recognize that poor decisions are being made and have made up their minds that their not going to go out of their way to make things successful.

I remember hearing the story about Bruce Smith, when the heat was really hot on Hank B, going into the huddle and telling the defense that "...whomever makes the tackle is going to get the sh-- beat out of 'em"

522228[/snapback]

hope this isnt what is happening but than again it was what got HB fired and many changes at obd

522228[/snapback]

Now did Bruce Smith really say that, or are you just making sh-- up?

he said it, he admitted it.

the was absolute dislike of Hank (he was a Greg Williams kindaguy...completely unrelenting...and was always right).

522256[/snapback]

I'm really going to have to ask for a linky-poo on that one.

But, even with that said: Perhaps you don't recall the esteemed Mr. Bullough. The man was as sharp as a bowling ball...as smart as a bag of hair. While MM may not be the right coach for this team (I'm having my doubts, I tell ya), Mike asleep is a smarter and better coach than Hank ever was. I doubt the situation is similar in any way except in your imagination.

Now did Bruce Smith really say that, or are you just making sh-- up?

522248[/snapback]

A lot of these quotes are directly from the Fred Smerlas/Vic Carruci book, "By a Nose". According to the book, Smith, during his rookie season, called Bullough (to his a face) a !@#$ stick. I laughed like hell when I read that. The idea of this rookie (coulda been his sophomore year?) telling this established NFL coach his personal worth is nothing more than being a !@#$ stick. What a great insult.

Midway through the '86 season, Bullough, the master of malaprops, was canned and Levy took over. The rest is history.

A lot of these quotes are directly from the Fred Smerlas/Vic Carruci book, "By a Nose".  According to the book, Smith, during his rookie season, called Bullough (to his a face) a !@#$ stick. I laughed like hell when I read that. The idea of this rookie (coulda been his sophomore year?) telling this established NFL coach his personal worth is nothing more than being a !@#$ stick. What a great insult.

Midway through the '86 season, Bullough, the master of malaprops, was canned and Levy took over. The rest is history.

522374[/snapback]

I see, "reality" as relayed by world class POS, Smerlas. I think I'll pass on that read.

I see, "reality" as relayed by world class POS, Smerlas.  I think I'll pass on that read.

522377[/snapback]

Didn't know there was such animosity for old # 76. What's that all about?

I will say this...compared to the new breed of players in the era of free agency (like Willis McGahee), who don't give a rat's ass about the Buffalo Bills, Smerlas was a loyal Buffalo Bill. He has stated he still bleeds Buffalo Bills red, white, & blue.

I think that's part of the problem with today's Bills - they don't have any passion for their team. Playing archrival Miami means nothing to them. Playing for team pride and the fans of WNY means absolutely nothing to the "I gotta feed my family" generation of narcissists wearing the Bills logo.

When I hear of McGahee laughing it up after the Miami game, it makes me which I could B word slap that self centered a-hole. Can you picture Thurman being in a jovial mood floowing a loss (especially to Miami)?

Don't know what your beef is with Fred Smerlas, but at least he gave his all to the team when he was on the their roster.

Didn't know there was such animosity for old # 76.  What's that all about?

I will say this...compared to the new breed of players in the era of free agency (like Willis McGahee), who don't give a rat's ass about the Buffalo Bills, Smerlas was a loyal Buffalo Bill. He has stated he still bleeds Buffalo Bills red, white, & blue.

I think that's part of the problem with today's Bills - they don't have any passion for their team. Playing archrival Miami means nothing to them. Playing for team pride and the fans of WNY means absolutely nothing to the "I gotta feed my family" generation of narcissists wearing the Bills logo.

When I hear of McGahee laughing it up after the Miami game, it makes me which I could B word slap that self centered a-hole. Can you picture Thurman being in a jovial mood floowing a loss (especially to Miami)?

Don't know what your beef is with Fred Smerlas, but at least he gave his all to the team when he was on the their roster.

522399[/snapback]

Well, I see you've never heard old Freddie on Boston radio. The minute he showed up in Beantown he began to bash the Bills, Buffalo, Marv, the fans and Ralph mercilessly. Every chance he got he wold bash EVERYTHING Buffalo. Later he had the nerve to try to court the Bills and pretend to be a continued fan of the city and team. I'm not the only one who heard him do this, DML. Promo and several others can back up what I'm telling you.

Don't be deceived by his phony statements in Buffalo media...Smerlas is a total classless POS...and a liar to boot!

Well, I see you've never heard old Freddie on Boston radio.  The minute he showed up in Beantown he began to bash the Bills, Buffalo, Marv, the fans and Ralph mercilessly.  Every chance he got he wold bash EVERYTHING Buffalo.  Later he had the nerve to try to court the Bills and pretend to be a continued fan of the city and team.  I'm not the only one who heard him do this, DML.  Promo and several others can back up what I'm telling you.

Don't be deceived by his phony statements in Buffalo media...Smerlas is a total classless POS...and a liar to boot!

522415[/snapback]

Kinda sorry to hear that.

Makes me wonder if he was just playing to the Boston radio audience, telling them what they want to hear, or has he been doing that to the Bill's faithful who eat up any praise from former Bills who speak positively about their team and city.

I think he was resentful that he just missed the success of the Bills glory years (and 49ers for that matter) and thought he was a better nose tackle than his replacement, Jeff Wright. I suppose he has a chip on his shoulder as a result, but I can't take him all that seriously.

Fred? If you're out there, let's hear your side.

Well, I see you've never heard old Freddie on Boston radio.  The minute he showed up in Beantown he began to bash the Bills, Buffalo, Marv, the fans and Ralph mercilessly.  Every chance he got he wold bash EVERYTHING Buffalo.  Later he had the nerve to try to court the Bills and pretend to be a continued fan of the city and team.  I'm not the only one who heard him do this, DML.  Promo and several others can back up what I'm telling you.

522415[/snapback]

Fred was a first class POS when he played for the Bills as well. He happened to be a very good nose tackle too...if you need any proof of what The Dean is talking about, tune into Smerlas' segment on the Friday night show out of Rochester, WHAM. Somebody provided a link last week, so I tuned in, on the internet. Smerlas, besides spewing his incredible grasp (not) of politics, basically bashed everyone in the NFL, unless they were some how related to the Patriots. He verbally fellated Tom Brady, and informed everyone that JP Losman "had no chance in the NFL." He is certainly free to have his opinions, but his sound more rooted in bitterness than in reality.

During his playing days with the Bills, he and Haslett (another POS who grew up a little) were crude, biggoted, boorish, overgrown juvenile delinquents. They were the kind of guys, in this day and age, would be showing up on police blotters on a regular basis. I don't know if anyone remembers their radio show on WBEN. The Bills were bad, they would just take calls, and bait callers into saying stupid things, so they could berate them, and challenge them to fights. About half way through one season (I think it was 1983 or 1984), John Murphey had to be added to the staff, to kind of moderate the show, because it was getting way too hostile. Eventually, if memory serves, they had problems with Murphy, and were both canned....

Fred was a first class POS when he played for the Bills as well.  He happened to be a very good nose tackle too...if you need any proof of what The Dean is talking about, tune into Smerlas' segment on the Friday night show out of Rochester, WHAM.  Somebody provided a link last week, so I tuned in, on the internet.  Smerlas, besides spewing his incredible grasp (not) of politics, basically bashed everyone in the NFL, unless they were some how related to the Patriots. He verbally fellated Tom Brady, and informed everyone that JP Losman "had no chance in the NFL."  He is certainly free to have his opinions, but his sound more rooted in bitterness than in reality. 

During his playing days with the Bills, he and Haslett (another POS who grew up a little) were crude, biggoted,  boorish, overgrown juvenile delinquents.  They were the kind of guys, in this day and age, would be showing up on police blotters on a regular basis.  I don't know if anyone remembers their radio show on WBEN.  The Bills were bad, they would just take calls, and bait callers into saying stupid things, so they could berate them, and challenge them to fights. About half way through one season (I think it was 1983 or 1984), John Murphey had to be added to the staff, to kind of moderate the show, because it was getting way too hostile.  Eventually, if memory serves, they had problems with Murphy, and were both canned....

522569[/snapback]

Haslett and Smerlas :D:D

Those were the days. Was it Haslett that bit Isaiah Robertson's finger during a fight at a local restaraunt?

522415[/snapback]

WORD! I would like to start a petition to get Smerals off the Wall of Fame at RWS. That turncoat doesn't deserve the honor. :D

PTR