Los Angeles Clippers

Very nice. I'll get my orange Brave's ashtray out of my garage and use it.  It's one of my 3 sports-related trinkets. The other 2 are Bill's drinking glasses I got for free for buying Mobil gasoline decades ago. :blink:

521517[/snapback]

I had two of the Mobil glasses. My wife keeps buying new drinking glasses but insists on drinking from that damned Bills glass. I warned her but she wouldn't listen. She finally broke the second one a couple of weeks ago. She'd already broken the first one a long time ago. Wait'll my lawyer hears about this.

I had two of the Mobil glasses. My wife keeps buying new drinking glasses but insists on drinking from that damned Bills glass. I warned her but she wouldn't listen. She finally broke the second one a couple of weeks ago. She'd already broken the first one a long time ago. Wait'll my lawyer hears about this.

521547[/snapback]

:blink:

My two have been in a basement closet for years. I just looked at them - very thin glass; I'm surprised yours lasted that long.

If the Bills ever win a SB, I plan on wrapping them in a towel and smashing them with my feet in the same fashion of the champagne glasses the bride and groom do at a Jewish wedding ceremony!

:blink:

My two have been in a basement closet for years. I just looked at them - very thin glass; I'm surprised yours lasted that long.

If the Bills ever win a SB, I plan on wrapping them in a towel and smashing them with my feet in the same fashion of the champagne glasses the bride and groom do at a Jewish wedding ceremony!

521552[/snapback]

thats all you'd do if the bills would win the SB? I would prolly run through Buffalo buttnaked, in a drunked stupor throwing sh** through windows and looting like a Boston or Detroit fan does everytime they win something.

Make that his head...he had no heart. May he and John Y. Brown eternally rot in hell.

521920[/snapback]

You got that right...when I was a kid, the Buffalo Braves were #1 on my sports priority list, with the Sabres and Bills close behind. I probably liked the Braves best, because of all the sports I played as a kid, basketball was the only one I was ever any good at...when the Braves were rumoured to be moving, I remember yanking out the phone book and calling some poor schlug listed, with the name Paul Snyder....I begged him not to take the Braves out of Buffalo, he would kill me....the guy just kind of chuckled, and said "Wow, I will see what I can do...."

Ahh, the memories...Dale Schluter, Jack Marin, Elmore Smith, Randy Smith, Ernie D, McAdoo (remember Randy Smiths' "McAdoo" single? I would pay anyone dearly for a copy of that!), Gar Heard, Abdul Azizz, Jim McMillan, Bob Weiss, John Schumate, Adrian Dantley, Bob Kaufman...fun team to watch....

Sadly, the only Braves trinkets I have left are a handful of trading cards, about 40 ticket stubbs (Dairylea used to give you a game ticket for every 10 proof of purchase you sent in....my brother and I drank a ton of milk in the 70's!) and a Buffalo Braves cologne decanter, that was probably my older brothers...I also got a decent quality video off of EBAY, with 4 of their season highlight films...as well as a replay of a Braves/Cavs playoff game they showed on ESPN Classic.....

Sorry to bable...they just showed the Clippers highlights on ESPN....those "ugly" orange and black uniforms looked awesome, goofy racing stripe and all....

You got that right...when I was a kid, the Buffalo Braves were #1 on my sports priority list, with the Sabres and Bills close behind.  I probably liked the Braves best, because of all the sports I played as a kid, basketball was the only one I was ever any good at...when the Braves were rumoured to be moving, I remember yanking out the phone book and calling some poor schlug listed, with the name Paul Snyder....I begged him not to take the Braves out of Buffalo, he would kill me....the guy just kind of chuckled, and said "Wow, I will see what I can do...."

Ahh, the memories...Dale Schluter, Jack Marin, Elmore Smith, Randy Smith, Ernie D, McAdoo (remember Randy Smiths' "McAdoo" single?  I would pay anyone dearly for a copy of that!), Gar Heard, Abdul Azizz, Jim McMillan, Bob Weiss, John Schumate, Adrian Dantley, Bob Kaufman...fun team to watch....

Sadly, the only Braves trinkets I have left are a handful of trading cards, about 40 ticket stubbs (Dairylea used to give you a game ticket for every 10 proof of purchase you sent in....my brother and I drank a ton of milk in the 70's!) and a Buffalo Braves cologne decanter, that was probably my older brothers...I also got a decent quality video off of EBAY, with 4 of their season highlight films...as well as a replay of a Braves/Cavs playoff game they showed on ESPN Classic.....

Sorry to bable...they just showed the Clippers highlights on ESPN....those "ugly" orange and black uniforms looked awesome, goofy racing stripe and all....

521968[/snapback]

Doesn't anyone else just think this is plain wrong???!!! I consider it a slap in the face! :):D

God I loved the Braves! - went to tons of games - but don't think I ever sat anywhere but the Orange :P I played once at halftime of a game - St Mary's Elementary vs. Lancaster Boys Club. Never got a shot off though... I still remember being in awe when the Braves came to St. Francis basketball camp for a "practice" - all our heroes close enough to touch. My friends and I used to go near the tunnel around warmups to get autographs - never forget one of the last times we had a nice conversation with Paul Snyder - was telling us how excited he was about the team etc. - not too much later he sold them. Fat bastard.

I have a bunch of trading cards from the early 70's - the ownership of those and the complete NFL set from 72-73 and almost complete from 73-74 are hotly contested between me and my brother :P To this day there is an original Braves pennant hanging in my closet at home.

Ahh, the memories...Dale Schluter, Jack Marin, Elmore Smith, Randy Smith, Ernie D, McAdoo (remember Randy Smiths' "McAdoo" single?  I would pay anyone dearly for a copy of that!), Gar Heard, Abdul Azizz, Jim McMillan, Bob Weiss, John Schumate, Adrian Dantley, Bob Kaufman...fun team to watch....

521968[/snapback]

...and Moses Malone, sold to the Rockets for 100 grand IIRC. :)

Doesn't anyone else just think this is plain wrong???!!!  I consider it a slap in the face!  :D  :D

522084[/snapback]

I thought it was kind of cool...if for nothing else, taking my mind off the Bills for a minute....what was really wrong, about a year ago, Paris "fuggin" Hilton wearing a baby-blue McAdoo jersey, at some celebrity basketball game on MTV...that wasn't cool!

The orange ones or the blue ones - anyone know?

521492[/snapback]

Man, does that bring back some memories.

I don't follow basketball at all anymore, but back in the day, I loved the Braves and watched regularly.

You can chart the downfall of the WNY economy and and it all started right about the time the Braves left. Not saying that the move had any affect, but it was one of the first in a series of nothing but bad economical news and troubled times that has plagued the Buffalo area since.

I don't think finances were a problem with the Braves, were they? Didn't they draw well and have a good fan base? What was the deal with Snyder and the move that made NBA basketball gone forever in Buffalo? I would love to see a team back in Buffalo, but I can't see it ever happening.

I don't think finances were a problem with the Braves, were they? Didn't they draw well and have a good fan base? What was the deal with Snyder and the move that made NBA basketball gone forever in Buffalo? I would love to see a team back in Buffalo, but I can't see it ever happening.

522671[/snapback]

In the summer of 1976, the team's founding owner Paul Synder intitally sold 50 percent of the franchise to businessman John Y. Brown, Jr., who had previously owned the Kentucky Colonels of the American Basketball Association. Brown later acquired the remaining portion from Synder sometime in the 1976-77 season. Brown, in turn, sold a percentage of the team to another businessman, Harry Mangurian, who later went on to own a portion of the Boston Celtics in the 1980s. However, a provision in the transaction stipulated that if Brown sold the contract of any Braves player, then the money would go to Synder and the purchase price would be reduced. This subsequently occurred when the Braves sent McAdoo to the New York Knicks for players and cash midway through the 1976-77 season.

Brown renegotiated his lease on Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, to include a clause stating if the Braves did not sell at least 4,500 season tickets, the Braves could be left out of their lease and be free to move to another city. Because of the team's poor play in their final two years (30-52 in 1976-77 and 27-55 in 1977-78), along with rumors of the franchise relocating, John Y. Brown met with the then-owner of the Celtics, Irv Levin and negotiated a deal in which the owners would swap franchises, in which Brown would take control of the Celtics and Levin would get the Braves. Levin was a California businessman, and wanted to own a NBA team in his native state. The deal was brokered by David Stern, an attorney for the NBA, who of course, later became the league's commissioner in 1984. Following what would be the final season in western New York, the NBA owners voted 21-1 to let the Braves relocate. They moved to San Diego, California after the 1977-78 season, and became the San Diego Clippers. Virtually identical techniqes would be used twenty-five years later to move the Montreal Expos baseball franchise to Washington, a move in which Expos owner Jeffrey Loria and MLB Commissioner Bud Selig successfully fought off racketeering charges, however the racketeering laws did not yet exist in 1978 to prevent collusionary actions such as that which cost Buffalo their NBA franchise.